What's new

Man, I Miss MK9.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Stop being so spiteful toward something that you don't like. Play whatever you like, but don't put words or lies in the open
Well...

RUN being at Satanic Speeds therefore the game having zero neutral almost.
I think of people who were ridiculously pro-MK9 followed the advice you gave above, that would be nice. Sadly it hasn't happened, but I hope someday it does!

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Kabal was the most difficult character in MK9 in terms of execution. Those nomad dash cancels and IAGBs were not easy at all. The only other character that was hard to use was probably Skarlet.

Don't get me wrong Kabal was god tier. In the hands of a veteran he was beyond dangerous but not everyone was capable of exploiting his full potential.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Kabal was the most difficult character in MK9 in terms of execution. Those nomad dash cancels and IAGBs were not easy at all. The only other character that was hard to use was probably Skarlet.

Don't get me wrong Kabal was god tier. In the hands of a veteran he was beyond dangerous but not everyone was capable of exploiting his full potential.
Sindel was harder to use than Kabal imo. Skarlet wasn't hard to use. She just had a lot of buttons lol

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MK9 was just so much fun offline.
I know, for me I had fun in general online and off. Online with KOTH I loved throwing tomatoes, all the secret things you could do while waiting lol and the rating signs were original. lol But offline of course was fun too. Another thing I kind of miss was the 2 player online tag against 2 others.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
I would've done something with it but I do not like the rebalance at all. The game doesn't need TOO many changes. maybe 1/2 a character. But the biggest problem with MK9 is the glitches/hurtboxes/negative edge. That extra layer of polish and fix that IGAU+MKX have...
To be fair, 1.00 was done entirely by me (and I'm a moron btw), using suggestions from other members, but then applying my own changes, and it's no wonder it was such a flawed mod.

Detroit, REO, RM Atk, Biggs, MIT and the others came to me after 1.00 was released (and mind you, 1.00 was initially released on CFW PS3, it was later released on PC, this was also another fuckup of mine. I overestimated the number of players on CFW PS3s) and even then, it took 2 patches to get the balance closer to what it should have, and as a result, several characters got less changes by 1.50 than they did back in 1.00 (Kabal, for example, wasn't castrated, Sonya did suffer from that bullshit technical limitation of the EX Kartwheel but she only got like 3 changes as opposed to what I had previously done to the Kartwheel as a whole) not to mention, polishing up the changes done to low pokes.

I'll admit, I still regret fucking up the first release so badly, but at least, if I ever do an MKX balance mod I know to talk to the top players firsthand.

Oh well, what's done is done, I guess. I'm still working on it, and at the very least it's getting a lot better now thanks to the team and more objective feedback I got from other players.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Let's not forget Jade's signature zoning immunity not working on zoning and a bunch of other bullshit.
True, forgot about that(not many Jade players) but the few that were really good were annoying with her lol.

coolwhip

Noob
I get nostalgic for the game a lot, as well as the scene at the time... but it has waaaaaaaaaaay to many infuriating elements (and an awful net code) for me to go back and play.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
MK9 was very fun. Problematic, but generally extremely fun. While I think with the direction they took MKX could work better down the road with some fix-ups (not that it's bad, just better ideas), I think the same of MK9. The way movement worked was, by design, much more zone-friendly from the getgo, and good moves weren't designed to cover so much range and mess up the spacing game when combined with dashing (it's not non-existent, but definitely not as free-flowing, IMO). Also some of the combos born of the dash mechanics were really fun and make characters feel way more unique and free-floating.

I feel like everyone negative on the game in retrospect also are looking at it as if none of the bugs and various issues wouldn't be touched. Don't get me wrong, I like the run mechanics, too, as it led to more liberties in designs, both character and systematic. Realistically, MKX's design is the best to improve on because of that alone. But MK9 had a unique feel about it that was charming, ignoring all the other issues.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I mean remember "If we only just had a rebalanced version of the game?" And then sone guy actually went through and rebalanced the game, and no one played it. That shows how much interest there really was.
Not picking any sides here, but in all fairness that project, relatively speaking, is more of a salvage operation than fixing every known problem under the MK9 umbrella.

Don't think it'd matter too much anyway cause let's be honest, MKX finally exposed that "one more patch" as a massive crock of shit lie largely wanted just for quality of life reasons. After 5 long years of hearing it through MK9, IJ1 and MKX collectively.

See you guys in Injustice 2, One More Patch Episode IV: A New Hoax!

NSR

Not picking any sides here, but in all fairness that project, relatively speaking, is more of a salvage operation than fixing every known problem under the MK9 umbrella.

Don't think it'd matter too much anyway cause let's be honest, MKX finally exposed that "one more patch" as a massive crock of shit lie largely wanted just for quality of life reasons. After 5 long years of hearing it through MK9, IJ1 and MKX collectively.

See you guys in Injustice 2, One More Patch Episode IV: A New Hoax!
The sad thing is, I'm actually interested in making an MKX balance mod after I'm done with MK9. Whether it will happen or not remains to be seen, but I'd be certainly interested in doing one.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Shoutouts to the most fun game NRS ever came up with.

Does anyone still play online?
I will seriously go get a PS3 and a copy if there's anyone left who'll run sets in it.
Hidden random select, every fight.

Where are you people?
MK9 on the PC had passable online. I'd never go back to ps3 lol

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
To be fair, 1.00 was done entirely by me (and I'm a moron btw), using suggestions from other members, but then applying my own changes, and it's no wonder it was such a flawed mod.

Detroit, REO, RM Atk, Biggs, MIT and the others came to me after 1.00 was released (and mind you, 1.00 was initially released on CFW PS3, it was later released on PC, this was also another fuckup of mine. I overestimated the number of players on CFW PS3s) and even then, it took 2 patches to get the balance closer to what it should have, and as a result, several characters got less changes by 1.50 than they did back in 1.00 (Kabal, for example, wasn't castrated, Sonya did suffer from that bullshit technical limitation of the EX Kartwheel but she only got like 3 changes as opposed to what I had previously done to the Kartwheel as a whole) not to mention, polishing up the changes done to low pokes.

I'll admit, I still regret fucking up the first release so badly, but at least, if I ever do an MKX balance mod I know to talk to the top players firsthand.

Oh well, what's done is done, I guess. I'm still working on it, and at the very least it's getting a lot better now thanks to the team and more objective feedback I got from other players.
I didn't say it was bad, I just don't like it. I understand that its very difficult to do and I commend you for trying. You did good work. Wasn't attacking you guy, keep it up.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

It's the only way to learn man -- just jumping in :)

You took the plunge and figured out how to do something no one else was doing, which is great. And balancing games is something professional companies with multimillion-dollar budgets screw up regularly. So you should in no way feel bad about anything related to your patch.

NSR

@Mikemetroid

Thank you very much! I didn't interpret your post as an attack, I just wanted to add some info as to what the mod was initially like and how it improved (even if one may prefer vanilla or not, I mean the objective quality of the balancing, especially given how the coding can sometimes fuck over that as well)

I'll keep up the good work, for sure.

@CrimsonShadow
Yeah, I know. I just wish I could have gotten everything down right from the first go. Or hell, maybe if the first release was more like say 1.50 in terms of balancing, as well it being a simultaneous release on both PC and PS3.

Hopefully, should I ever get serious about an MKX balance mod, I won't make the same mistake twice.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The sad thing is, I'm actually interested in making an MKX balance mod after I'm done with MK9. Whether it will happen or not remains to be seen, but I'd be certainly interested in doing one.
I'd be interested in seeing what you could do for MKX especially with the coding being a lot cleaner. But with the competitive player base being much larger than MK9 and given that every character in the game is already viable through at least 1 variation I'm not sure how many people would migrate. But it's nice to hear it's on your to do list.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Here I am snickering at people saying mkx is better because it's newer. MK9 would be way easier to balance by definition.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Here I am snickering at people saying mkx is better because it's newer. MK9 would be way easier to balance by definition.
I used to think like that but then SF5 came out and everything changed.

I do think MKX is better but not because it came out later. Balance is definitely an important issue but it can't come at the expense of game mechanics. So using MK9 as a baseline because it's easier to balance (due to it being simpler than MKX) is not a line of thought that I like.

Matix218

Get over here!
I don't even know what to say. Invulnerable wake-up with tech roll was good buy all the best characters restood you anyways.

The worst pokes to ever exist in a video game, low armor, no invulnerable backdash, and no buffer system. How is this game good for the standard nowadays?
Specifically Scorpion in MK9 had the worst pokes in the history of fighting games. Minus on hit lol