What's new

Man, I Miss MK9.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MK 9 was easily one of the best in the series top 3 easily. Hopefully MK 11 will play more like MK 9 than MK X but with the support/patches that MK X and I2 DLC content will have even more so. ie can you imagine a GEAR system cosmetically in MK? But free color pallette? I want to be able to play an MK game where I can literally mod/Kustomize my own Ermac(not just gameplay wise) but I mean look wise, white and purple trims, black rags and glowing red eyes instead of green with different colored specials(similar to I2 like Supergirl having a purple heat vision effect instead of red) man...I may be getting ahead of myself sure, but if NRS implemented this can you imagine how badass MK in the future would be?

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
MK 9 was easily one of the best in the series top 3 easily. Hopefully MK 11 will play more like MK 9 than MK X but with the support/patches that MK X and I2 DLC content will have even more so. ie can you imagine a GEAR system cosmetically in MK? But free color pallette? I want to be able to play an MK game where I can literally mod/Kustomize my own Ermac(not just gameplay wise) but I mean look wise, white and purple trims, black rags and glowing red eyes instead of green with different colored specials(similar to I2 like Supergirl having a purple heat vision effect instead of red) man...I may be getting ahead of myself sure, but if NRS implemented this can you imagine how badass MK in the future would be?
I'm a big fan of MK9 but I hope not. There's absolutely no reason for NRS to take a step back from MKX. In terms of game mechanics MKX is just a superior game. Why ?

1. As fun as dash-block was in MK9, run and the stamina meter brings a completely new layer of gameplay depth in MKX. Breakers, back dashes, combos, and even some normals (like cyber sub's b2) depend on the stamina meter and it just gives the devs a new way to balance certain things. MKX's balance may not be very good but it's a hell lot better than MK9.

2. Combos were too powerful in MK9. They were not only easier to perform but also had less damage scaling, not to mention some guaranteed resets into MASSIVE damage that was clearly not intended. In MKX characters like Blood God Kotal or Warrior Predator can do comparable damage but in special situations. And this is clearly intended as part of the character's arsenal.

3. Zoning was too weak in MK9. With the exception of Kenshi, no other character could zone effectively. Even Kenshi struggled in the highest level of play, i.e. tournaments. Just about every tournament was won by either Lao, Kabal, Sonya or Cyrax.

There's other stuff too. Wake-ups in MK9 were weird. Standing 1/2 AAs were probably a little too easy. MKX isn't perfect but it's a step forward.

MK11 has to evolve using MKX as a baseline. Maybe they can change the meter system a little bit. Maybe they can buff forward dashes in general to bring them more into play. Use the stamina meter differently. They can (and should) also introduce completely new gameplay mechanics.

I'm a big fan of MK9 but I hope not. There's absolutely no reason for NRS to take a step back from MKX. In terms of game mechanics MKX is just a superior game. Why ?

1. As fun as dash-block was in MK9, run and the stamina meter brings a completely new layer of gameplay depth in MKX. Breakers, back dashes, combos, and even some normals (like cyber sub's b2) depend on the stamina meter and it just gives the devs a new way to balance certain things. MKX's balance may not be very good but it's a hell lot better than MK9.

2. Combos were too powerful in MK9. They were not only easier to perform but also had less damage scaling, not to mention some guaranteed resets into MASSIVE damage that was clearly not intended. In MKX characters like Blood God Kotal or Warrior Predator can do comparable damage but in special situations. And this is clearly intended as part of the character's arsenal.

3. Zoning was too weak in MK9. With the exception of Kenshi, no other character could zone effectively. Even Kenshi struggled in the highest level of play, i.e. tournaments. Just about every tournament was won by either Lao, Kabal, Sonya or Cyrax.

There's other stuff too. Wake-ups in MK9 were weird. Standing 1/2 AAs were probably a little too easy. MKX isn't perfect but it's a step forward.

MK11 has to evolve using MKX as a baseline. Maybe they can change the meter system a little bit. Maybe they can buff forward dashes in general to bring them more into play. Use the stamina meter differently. They can (and should) also introduce completely new gameplay mechanics.
The run mechanic is terrible currently, it makes the neutral a low risk high reward 50/50. The only way it could be good as a mechanic is if it's much riskier to use, which is why I proposed that it doesn't replenish until the start of the next round. This way you'd actually have to intelligently manage it, unlike now where it might as well be infinite.

To compensate this change, it should deplete half as fast and deplete gradually faster the longer you run with it, and it should recharge very slightly every hit you successfully connect. If you abuse it like this you won't be able to break, backdash, or combo with anything that requires running for an entire round. Running in from full screen will still be a threat this way but only on a hard read like it should be. If you're a fireball cancel character you barely lose any for a single run cancel, but if you don't balance your block strings out with landed hits you'll have no stamina for anything else. Btw backdashes should only cost 25% stamina and breakers should cost half instead of full.

The next change they need to make to the meta is oki. It's ridiculous when 90% of the game's bnbs carry you 50% of the stage or more right into the corner, we have no invincible wakeups and so many characters have great set play. To fix this, grounded interactables should be useable as wake up attacks, have invincibility on wake up only, and stay primarily safe, but they'd be balanced because they cost 50% stamina which is a scarce resource now. I also think this would create a unique meta among fighting games in that often times you'll actually be trying to keep your opponent OUT of the corner to avoid giving them such a strong wakeup option. Rant over.

callMEcrazy

The run mechanic is terrible currently, it makes the neutral a low risk high reward 50/50. The only way it could be good as a mechanic is if it's much riskier to use, which is why I proposed that it doesn't replenish until the start of the next round. This way you'd actually have to intelligently manage it, unlike now where it might as well be infinite.

To compensate this change, it should deplete half as fast and deplete gradually faster the longer you run with it, and it should recharge very slightly every hit you successfully connect. If you abuse it like this you won't be able to break, backdash, or combo with anything that requires running for an entire round. Running in from full screen will still be a threat this way but only on a hard read like it should be. If you're a fireball cancel character you barely lose any for a single run cancel, but if you don't balance your block strings out with landed hits you'll have no stamina for anything else. Btw backdashes should only cost 25% stamina and breakers should cost half instead of full.

The next change they need to make to the meta is oki. It's ridiculous when 90% of the game's bnbs carry you 50% of the stage or more right into the corner, we have no invincible wakeups and so many characters have great set play. To fix this, grounded interactables should be useable as wake up attacks, have invincibility on wake up only, and stay primarily safe, but they'd be balanced because they cost 50% stamina which is a scarce resource now. I also think this would create a unique meta among fighting games in that often times you'll actually be trying to keep your opponent OUT of the corner to avoid giving them such a strong wakeup option. Rant over.
Sounds good. I'm totally on board making iterative improvements like that. Whether all the things you suggest are practical - I'm not so sure. But this is roughly how NRS should go about it.

There should also be new game mechanics, but ones that properly fit in.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !

damn dude this post really hit the cringe.. i def don't mean to be mean or anything at all so don't take it personally, but i don't think you played mk9 personally. unless this was like the most April fools of the land. I died inside

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I've actually played a bit of MK9 recently to knock the rust off my sonya. I truly love the game.
man hit me up if you ever wana scrub it up super hard... im super shit now "especially online i bet" but i'd love to play with ppl i used to see from the old days or anyone wanting to play just for shits lmk

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Zoning was too weak in MK9.
This is false. Zoning based characters could zone effectively. Their weaknesses were their lack of tools outside of pure keepaway. Projectiles alone were not sufficient to zone in MK9, you needed other stuff too. This is why Noob, Sindel and Stryker were weak.

Characters that could zone super well and compete = Kabal, Kenshi, Freddy, Sektor and Kitana to name a few. All these characters had tools outside of zoning though, which was why they were more viable.

Last edited:

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Never played mk9 "competitively" (actually trying to learn it) but it's definitely one of my favorites. I miss playing as smoke, rain and noob.

If there were good reason I'd go back and try to learn it proper. But not enough time.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Yeah I can't believe he said zoning wasn't good when Kenshi, Kabal and Freddy obviously did that very well. NRS games zoners need a wide arsenal of tools to be able to zone well, a simple projectile isn't enough.

callMEcrazy

This is false. Zoning based characters could zone effetcively. Their weaknesses were their lack of tools outside of pure keepaway. Projectiles alone were not sufficient to zone in MK9, you needed other stuff too. This is why Noob, Sindel and Stryker were weak.

Characters that could zone super well and compete = Kabal, Kenshi, Freddy, Sektor and Kitana to name a few. All these characters had tools outside of zoning though, which was why they were more viable.
I stand corrected.

But I still think MKX has hit a better balance of zoning and rushdown than MK9.

BTW big fan :D. Red is my color too, Sektor red that is.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I hope they "go back" to a movement system more similar to MK9/3d MK. The run function just creates or exacerbates too many issues.

That doesn't mean you have to scrap the stamina meter. It can remain for special cancels to keep a unique form of pressure and prevent Kabal-type sequences.

You could also keep the meter for invulnerable back-dashes. Whether those are default or some kind of "enhanced back-dash.

Of course back-dashes also need to be aided by shorter ranged normals/strings. In MKX, almost everything just chases them down anyway.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Sadly I wasn't around during those mk9 days. I was present around injustice.

Watching mk9 tournaments got me just as much hyped up as watching injustice despite not knowing much about mk9.
Commentary was so much better during mk9 and injustice, atleast imo.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword

Did you play MK9?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Erm.. While Kenshi may have been a better all-around character due to his footsies and armor, Freddy was probably the best pure zoner in the game.

But generally, I agree. While I liked MK9, I do not miss:

The meter drain glitch
A terribly unbalanced roster
Ridiculous chip damage
Cyrax
Cyrax
Picking rooftop day to run away with kabal
Top 8's having mostly 3-4 characters by the end, unlike the strong character diversity of Injustice and MKX
The online delay and lag
etc.

NRS is making better games now, and while MK9 will always occupy a fond place in my heart, people saying they want to go back are looking through rose-colored glasses.

I mean remember "If we only just had a rebalanced version of the game?" And then sone guy actually went through and rebalanced the game, and no one played it. That shows how much interest there really was.