What's new

Man, I Miss MK9.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Erm.. While Kenshi may have been a better all-around character due to his footsies and armor, Freddy was probably the best pure zoner in the game.

But generally, I agree. While I liked MK9, I do not miss:

The meter drain glitch
A terribly unbalanced roster
Ridiculous chip damage
Cyrax
Cyrax
Picking rooftop day to run away with kabal
Top 8's having mostly 3-4 characters by the end, unlike the strong character diversity of Injustice and MKX
The online delay and lag
etc.

NRS is making better games now, and while MK9 will always occupy a fond place in my heart, people saying they want to go back are looking through rose-colored glasses.

I mean remember "If we only just had a rebalanced version of the game?" And then sone guy actually went through and rebalanced the game, and no one played it. That shows how much interest there really was.
thats highly misinformed .. if we had ggpo and the actual source code to fix the things we want to without a doubt it would be played again imo lol.... the rebalance version of the game we cant even fix the things that need fixing aka sonya ex kartwheel frame data etc .. so nah man there no rose colored "glasses". the online is aweful honestly other than that it'd still be played im pretty sure even with the messed up glitches that ended up being.

reguardless if all those weird bugs were fixed, mk9 is def the superior competitive game imho

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I dont miss playing against Cyrax, Kabal and Kenshi.

Those 3 ruined that game for me. Such bullshit because the game forced you to play with 1 of like 5 characters to be successful.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Those nostalgic rose colored glasses are real.

MK9 was a wonky-animated, unbalanced mess. Yes it was fun. Yes it was a huge step in the right direction. But man was it far from perfect.
Right, but if MK11 was built around a base system that was more similar to MK9's DNA than MKX's... those rookie mistakes aren't there.

And once they're out of the picture, you just compare basic gameplay elements and decide which style you prefer.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
MK9 was a happy little accident. Kind of like when you burn your toast and you take a look at it and you have jesus christ burned into it. After it cools off you don't want to eat it and then you throw it out.

The game is hard to play now, other than for a few minutes/an hour. It's age shows sadly. However, you can play some matchups and still have more fun than you ever did in IGAU+MKX combined.

The game needs an overhaul, nothing drastic meta wise, but an overhaul with the engine. No input bug, meter drain, damage resets, etc. Fixed Hurtboxes/hitboxes. Don't even have to adjust how the meter works, just how the meter works per character.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm a big fan of MK9 but I hope not. There's absolutely no reason for NRS to take a step back from MKX. In terms of game mechanics MKX is just a superior game. Why ?

1. As fun as dash-block was in MK9, run and the stamina meter brings a completely new layer of gameplay depth in MKX. Breakers, back dashes, combos, and even some normals (like cyber sub's b2) depend on the stamina meter and it just gives the devs a new way to balance certain things. MKX's balance may not be very good but it's a hell lot better than MK9.

2. Combos were too powerful in MK9. They were not only easier to perform but also had less damage scaling, not to mention some guaranteed resets into MASSIVE damage that was clearly not intended. In MKX characters like Blood God Kotal or Warrior Predator can do comparable damage but in special situations. And this is clearly intended as part of the character's arsenal.

3. Zoning was too weak in MK9. With the exception of Kenshi, no other character could zone effectively. Even Kenshi struggled in the highest level of play, i.e. tournaments. Just about every tournament was won by either Lao, Kabal, Sonya or Cyrax.

There's other stuff too. Wake-ups in MK9 were weird. Standing 1/2 AAs were probably a little too easy. MKX isn't perfect but it's a step forward.

MK11 has to evolve using MKX as a baseline. Maybe they can change the meter system a little bit. Maybe they can buff forward dashes in general to bring them more into play. Use the stamina meter differently. They can (and should) also introduce completely new gameplay mechanics.
It's not really a step back though as it'll just be offering more to diverse players. MKX is pro rushdown, 50/50's and nothing but. They penalize you for backdashing, and it's anti zoning/defense which is dumb... MK9 zoning was not weak at all actually, Ermac, Kabal, Kenshi, Noob, Cyrax, Sektor, Kitana, Mileena and many others you could easily zone with if you knew what you were doing.

The balance isn't an issue for me, MK X is good enough and no fighting game is perfect in that regard but MK 9's all that it needed was Kabal and KL toned down, perhaps Cyrax too with his crazy damage resets otherwise it was pretty balanced for the most part and God knows KL had a ton of nerfs in that game.

Combos being too powerful is relative but they nerfed damage quite a few times in MK 9 so I'm fine with it, when Ermac first hit in MK 9 he had 50%+ combos but got nerfed among KL and many others. They can just nerf that I'm fine with nerfed combo %, I just want zoning to be viable. The zoning in MK X is a joke compared to MK 9, majority would agree.

I disagree about the wake ups, they were better in MK 9 than MK X. MKX they're weird at times, and don't have invincibility frames when someone is constantly crowding you IMO that's important to get out of something. Sure you can block and counter depending on the wake up, but if someone is being super liberal just attacking you non stop without hitting block there should be invincible frames on wake ups...otherwise may as well put down the controller if you can just crowd me and not let me get up then.

The only thing that MK X does better from a defensive perspective than MK 9 is the meter burned corner escapes, MK 9 could have used this but other than this, I'll gladly take MK 9 any DAY over MK X. That and of course the better netcode on MK X. But outside of those two exceptions, I just feel MK 9 is the better game overall. MK X is fun, solid game in it's own right but it is not a good game for the defensive, zoning players. MK9 had better zoning tools and I2 will have more diverse characters to fit different play styles which I like. Also, I don't like being penalized for BACKDASHING, and not a fan of the run....like @Quan Chihuahua and @PND_Ketchup said regarding the zoning in MK 9 and run being more of constant 50/50 game. I feel the same way, everyone who's played MK 9 knows MK 9 had solid zoning compared to MK X. I like some defensive options when I play, MK X is fun but doesn't offer me that option like MK 9 did.

Last edited:

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I never get why every time someone says they miss MK9 and wanted to know if anyone still play, someone always have to come in and stress the negativity of the game lol.
Those nostalgic rose colored glasses are real.

MK9 was a wonky-animated, unbalanced mess. Yes it was fun. Yes it was a huge step in the right direction. But man was it far from perfect.
Isn't that the purpose of the thread though? It was fun and the TS asked who still played it? Not sure why anytime someone said they miss MK9 someone always has to remind everyone of the issues. Yes we get it, but it was still fun game.

If it got ported to current gen Console and had GGPO I still would play it even with those issues.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
april fools was 2days ago my guy
I don't even know what to say. Invulnerable wake-up with tech roll was good buy all the best characters restood you anyways.

The worst pokes to ever exist in a video game, low armor, no invulnerable backdash, and no buffer system. How is this game good for the standard nowadays?

MK 9 was easily one of the best in the series top 3 easily. Hopefully MK 11 will play more like MK 9 than MK X but with the support/patches that MK X and I2 DLC content will have even more so. ie can you imagine a GEAR system cosmetically in MK? But free color pallette? I want to be able to play an MK game where I can literally mod/Kustomize my own Ermac(not just gameplay wise) but I mean look wise, white and purple trims, black rags and glowing red eyes instead of green with different colored specials(similar to I2 like Supergirl having a purple heat vision effect instead of red) man...I may be getting ahead of myself sure, but if NRS implemented this can you imagine how badass MK in the future would be?
MK9 was just so much fun offline.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
thats highly misinformed .. if we had ggpo and the actual source code to fix the things we want to without a doubt it would be played again imo lol.... the rebalance version of the game we cant even fix the things that need fixing aka sonya ex kartwheel frame data etc .. so nah man there no rose colored "glasses". the online is aweful honestly other than that it'd still be played im pretty sure even with the messed up glitches that ended up being.

reguardless if all those weird bugs were fixed, mk9 is def the superior competitive game imho
People aren't playing it offline, either. So GGPO isn't the reason.

And when this guy announced that he was going to do the rebalance, there were tons of people saying "Yeah! Awesome! We'll hold tournaments!" etc. You can go back and look at the thread if you don't believe me.

Then he actually did it, and it's been crickets since. The truth is that people just weren't as interested to go back as they initially said they were.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?

And when this guy announced that he was going to do the rebalance, there were tons of people saying "Yeah! Awesome! We'll hold tournaments!" etc. You can go back and look at the thread if you don't believe me.

Then he actually did it, and it's been crickets since. The truth is that people just weren't as interested to go back as they initially said they were.
I would've done something with it but I do not like the rebalance at all. The game doesn't need TOO many changes. maybe 1/2 a character. But the biggest problem with MK9 is the glitches/hurtboxes/negative edge. That extra layer of polish and fix that IGAU+MKX have...

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !

GGPO . Good online is a huge reason people don't play... Not everyone has friends that live next door / Local scenes / time out of busy life schedules to play 1 time offline in a game every once in a while. If MKX or any major fighting game didn't have an online to play, do you think they would thrive ATM?

I don't know why you're telling me this, when myself. Detroit, xsmokex, REO, MIT, and DJT etc. All were part of doing the rebalancing in the very beginning, but were let down on what we could and couldn't change. So it was a pipe dream..

I dunno why you're so convinced you know exactly why ppl aren't still playing, with this huge rebalancing and amazing online play! If you don't like the game that's fine, but don't pretend ppl absolutely won't play it. There's multiple top players and returning players in the scene that have said they would come back in a second, even without a balance patch if there was a gdlk online port over too new Gen, using the new GGPO MKXL has!.

I don't know why it bothers people so much, that some people enjoyed the game a lot. Dude, we were even playing that shit at the first MKX Evo in the hotel room. Nobody in the room was not trying to get their turn on the 1 setup we brought for MK9. Even, before dab just moved back to Cali, myself, MIT, DJT, DAB etc brought mk9 for shits' to our local we haven't been to in forever and everyone in the MKX brackets were just playing MK9, delaying their matches lmao.

Stop being so spiteful toward something that you don't like. Play whatever you like, but don't put words or lies in the open, as to why it should never be played, nor talked about again.. People said the same for melee, when it was considered dead, and in the past.. Then, they realized they shouldn't have to stop playing a game they still like and revived it. Now a 15 yr old game is still putting in the top numbers at any tourney..

TLDR, Spouting nonsense / if you don't like or miss the game, then that's totally fine lol.. No-one is forcing you to like anything, but don't try to sit on other people's opinions either with your hilarious "facts" about why it's not played etc.

trufenix

bye felicia
I never get why every time someone says they miss MK9 and wanted to know if anyone still play, someone always have to come in and stress the negativity of the game lol.

Isn't that the purpose of the thread though? It was fun and the TS asked who still played it? Not sure why anytime someone said they miss MK9 someone always has to remind everyone of the issues. Yes we get it, but it was still fun game.

If it got ported to current gen Console and had GGPO I still would play it even with those issues.
Our bad, no bad feelings allowed in MK9 threads. When you guys finally get this revival off the ground you're just gonna have us negative nancies fired into the sun

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Our bad, no bad feelings allowed in MK9 threads. When you guys finally get this revival off the ground you're just gonna have us negative nancies fired into the sun
When did I say anything about revival? TS mention how he missed MK9 and wonder if anyone still played it online.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
They need to patch that shit.
I mean we have an awesome community patch but that's not advertised enough.