What's new

Low poke frustration.....

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
And like I stated in original post, most of the community is toxic. You 2 must be so good that you are top 8?? Im sorry, I disnt see you guys compete at evo?! BTW, as far as teleport goes, I never spammed it, must not of read my post, must just like being low IQ and starting forum wars. People like you probably should stay off the forums, you are part of the toxic community. To all others who actually are posting ideas to help, thank you!!!
git gud

Mayz22

Noob
You sound like the guy that got mad at me for spamming forceballs at him for over 30 seconds to close out a round because he had 4% health while I had 80+. Dude was fucking pissed, screaming over his mic, telling me to fight like a man. Sent me a dozen messages after the game calling me a bitch. The round before that, I approached him when I had a healthy life lead and he ended up coming all the way back and winning the round. Fuck that. I want to win.

I'm not going to get flashy or do setups or even risk approaching you if I can just kill you safely. Pokes might be annoying, but if you're not able to counter that type of play, you deserve to be beat by it.
Ok thats funny, good thing is I dont get on the mic so you wouldnt hear if I got pissed lol. Now spamming when your opponent is at 4% I truly understand, thats not why I complained/vented.

Mayz22

Noob
It's not the game won't let you -- it's that YOU won't let you. because you're more focused on being mad at it, than figuring out the simple ways to not lose to people who aren't good and do repetitive things without thinking much.

We've all been there at some point, but it's your choice as to whether you want to level up out of it. And if you do, the first thing you need to change is your attitude :)
Thank you!!!! I try my ass off to learn and get better, I just needed to vent and see if other had same issues. Obviously you got guys that help like you, and others that are idiots.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
I really don't understand why d1 mashing is such a big deal if you can counterpoke. Maybe blocking a little more will help you with that man. You can also try to flawlessblock u2 the opponent if they disrespect their own minus frames on a blocked poke and hit d1 again. you can also block walk back and whiffpunish the second mashed d1, especially with scorpion, since he has some really good mids.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Your anger is misplaced @Mayz22 .

Dont tell me to get gud, then liu kang players and their 1 and only combo string, sonya zoners, erron black slap the skin off you 3 hit combo, or how about jax doing the same exact string over and over again?
If your opponent finds out he can win by using 1 combo or 1 strategy, then he isnt the problem, you are. Usually, when someone does the same thing over and over, it means they are predictable. If you arent able to take advantage of that, be annoyed with yourself.

I love competition who actually likes to do setups, long combos and play the game flashy.
Unfortunately, not everyone plays like you do. Some people like to zone, others like to stagger, etc.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
You sound like the guy that got mad at me for spamming forceballs at him for over 30 seconds to close out a round because he had 4% health while I had 80+. Dude was fucking pissed, screaming over his mic, telling me to fight like a man. Sent me a dozen messages after the game calling me a bitch. The round before that, I approached him when I had a healthy life lead and he ended up coming all the way back and winning the round. Fuck that. I want to win.

I'm not going to get flashy or do setups or even risk approaching you if I can just kill you safely. Pokes might be annoying, but if you're not able to counter that type of play, you deserve to be beat by it.
haha I can relate. I mean it is funny that they complain when they play heavy rushdown chars like jaqui or kang and then do not want to be zoned out.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Before I am told to get gud, let me start by saying alot of the mk11 community is toxic. Wether it be online in ranked or in forums. Just about every ranked match you get an idiot on the mic, he has absolutley no skills with character he/she is using other than spamming low poke/throws the entire match. Then run there mouth as if they actually did something. We need a mute button, I dont need to hear you cry about shit.Now, I am a scorpion main and it really ticked me off when every single one of these low poke/throw meta idiots called for him to get nerfed. Dont tell me to get gud, then liu kang players and their 1 and only combo string, sonya zoners, erron black slap the skin off you 3 hit combo, or how about jax doing the same exact string over and over again? I love to play online and love competition, but I love competition who actually likes to do setups, long combos and play the game flashy. This low poke meta is going to kill this game furyher, and kombat league is garbage as well. Before you guys say, oh yay, another scorpion main, he probably spammed teleport. Actually no, never have, only use it within my combos, I want to find ways to win without being cheap. Rant over, just irritated to what this game has come to this far.......
Here are some tips:
A player mashing D1 over and over will not give them any advantage. Why I'm saying that us there are several counters after blocking one.
YOur options:
  • Throw reversal after blocking poke.
  • Counter Poke within 10f.
  • Neutral jump
  • walk back and wiff punish the second poke.
  • Fast mids counter them on block so do lows and overheads.
With that said all pokes have been toned down some where 7f startup at -2 on block before the patch but now they are -5 or more that's more than 12 frame window to counter them after patch.
The meta isn't revolved around pokes its a strike throw meta and you can create a type of 50/50 by using string/throw or poke/throw.
You can say its scrubby to only use pokes and throws to win but honestly dies it take more effort to press a 3 hit string or throw or do a stagger or walk back press button. In my opinion they require the same skill.

You need to get that out of your head. Don't say this player is a scrub but is beating me with cheap tactics. Say what did I do wrong, analyze your recordings and lab up responses in practice. If a player is using a tool to beat you and its working you need to find ways to turn that tool against him.

I'm a decent player and I use pokes to my advantage, I don't limit myself by saying playing this way is trash because that gives you a disadvantage. I jail off my pokes and if I know a player tryst to use high starters after a blocked poke I'll do a second poke but if they know how to counter that I'll walkback or use my fastest mid/low.

I can understand the frustration because the mechanics of this game doesn't really show skill that well. Its kind of hard to identify skill since the mechanics have been made easier and execution isn't difficult in MK11.
There are some tight links, punishes, frame traps, some 1-2 frame link combos and wave dashing that is kind of difficult but even those are easy after building muscle memory.
No matter how you play most of the Tools in this game are very easy to do and mist characters have a low skill requirement to use them effectively.

The next time your opponent pokes you more than once in a row counter them. This game is about making reads and punishing mistakes and spacing properly to reduce your opponents options against you. Identify your opponents patters in your sets and adapt to it to use them against em and capitalize off those reads. Scouting patterns turns hard reads into favorable responses. Go to practice and recreate what beat you last time and find counters to put fear into your opponents. For most characters you only need to make 3-5 reads to win the round and that's not including chip, FB, KB's or zoning damage.

If you master spacing and know the matchup your opponent can't throw or poke you hardly ever.
Hope this helps

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Here's my question to the thread creator:

Why are you limiting yourself by not using all the tools available to you? You spoke about not wanting to use "cheap" staggers and the like in order to be successful during a match. Why not? Your approach and self limiting honor system will not get you the "W". You are going to lose more often than you win.

This would literally be like buying a race car for the Daytona International Speedway and racing at a slow, 60 mph simply because a normal car cannot reach those top speeds. The other racers on the track are going to lap you over and over again.

I used to share this belief you have back in 1996 when I played Street Fighter Alpha 2 competitively. I thought tick throws and custom combos were cheap. I thought they lacked skill and only skilled players used real tactics and combos. Guess where those beliefs got me? Yep, straight to the back of the line to wait my turn to lose again to the player who was not afraid to use what the game made available.

Once I dropped that foolishness and started opening myself to the real meta of the game, I started winning more consistently instead of losing 80% of the time. Since then, I've never looked back and I will use whatever the devs throw into a fighting game as long as I'm skilled enough to do so.

For your situation, poke into D1>throw is usually very react-able if your opponent is predictable. Just block the D1 and immediately blow up the throw with your D2. Done. Staggers leave the opponent negative and you can steal your turn back right away. Just find your fasted starting attack and interrupt the stagger. Done.

Mayz22

Noob
Its not so much "anger" as it is annoying. I have tried to walk away from said pokes but I still get hit. Now I have been learning new characters, (nightwolf, kollector) and with them I seem to win the poke war, but with scorpion I lose, get out poked or countered from my counter lol. Again, those of you taking your time to help is very, very much appreciated. It shows that even a disgruntled player can still have hope within a game I grew up on!!! Thank you to the "good guys"!!!

Here's my question to the thread creator:

Once I dropped that foolishness and started opening myself to the real meta of the game, I started winning more consistently instead of losing 80% of the time. Since then, I've never looked back and I will use whatever the devs throw into a fighting game as long as I'm skilled enough to do so.
You're right. I'm still getting upset of moves that come out randomly online on how I lose my turn against online shenanigans. If I took the time to understand how the MK11 meta works, I think I would do better.

Mayz22

Noob
You're right. I'm still getting upset of moves that come out randomly online on how I lose my turn against online shenanigans. If I took the time to understand how the MK11 meta works, I think I would do better.
This is exactly what I am going to do my self....

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Salt is great on food, trolls live under bridges, which is my metaphore for your mommas basement. Btw, Im not salty so take your ignorance elsewhere!!
Everything you complained about was in that section of the video.
You are blaming the opponent and the game for your loss. Saying your opponent has no skill when they are beating you is a scrub mentality.

Git gud

Before I am told to get gud, let me start by saying alot of the mk11 community is toxic. Wether it be online in ranked or in forums. Just about every ranked match you get an idiot on the mic, he has absolutley no skills with character he/she is using other than spamming low poke/throws the entire match. Then run there mouth as if they actually did something. We need a mute button, I dont need to hear you cry about shit.Now, I am a scorpion main and it really ticked me off when every single one of these low poke/throw meta idiots called for him to get nerfed. Dont tell me to get gud, then liu kang players and their 1 and only combo string, sonya zoners, erron black slap the skin off you 3 hit combo, or how about jax doing the same exact string over and over again? I love to play online and love competition, but I love competition who actually likes to do setups, long combos and play the game flashy. This low poke meta is going to kill this game furyher, and kombat league is garbage as well. Before you guys say, oh yay, another scorpion main, he probably spammed teleport. Actually no, never have, only use it within my combos, I want to find ways to win without being cheap. Rant over, just irritated to what this game has come to this far.......
HOLY SHIT CRY MORE if you are ever getting beat by low pokes then you need to learn how to counter . Use your frames crybaby heheh

Mayz22

Noob
Everything you complained about was in that section of the video.
You are blaming the opponent and the game for your loss. Saying your opponent has no skill when they are beating you is a scrub mentality.

Git gud
HOLY SHIT CRY MORE if you are ever getting beat by low pokes then you need to learn how to counter . Use your frames crybaby heheh
Wow, you 2 ladies are very helpful. Nobody is crying. Its funny how you both have sooooo much time and knowledge to just come mess with ppl. Every single 1 of you "trolls" must be miserable. Again, are you top 8? Are you evo ready? If your answer is no because yup you know damn well it is then why dont you go back to watching your cartoons and eating crayons!!!! Not once did I call you out in a post, call you crybaby until this post here. I simply stated most of the community is toxic for this very reason.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Wow, you 2 ladies are very helpful. Nobody is crying. Its funny how you both have sooooo much time and knowledge to just come mess with ppl. Every single 1 of you "trolls" must be miserable. Again, are you top 8? Are you evo ready? If your answer is no because yup you know damn well it is then why dont you go back to watching your cartoons and eating crayons!!!! Not once did I call you out in a post, call you crybaby until this post here. I simply stated most of the community is toxic for this very reason.
bro have you been in the lab and tried to learn how to defend against the issue you are having? I would say no. The problem is you mate.
Why would your opponent change their game plan if it works. It's up to you to lab , defend and punish them to stop them using these tactics. But you decided to come into a comperative forum and blame the game and your opponents who play with no skill (who are beating you?). Again it seems the problem is you. Hold your Ls, learn from them and lab what is giving you issues. Asking for advice is fine but if you come in here with an attitude like you did people here will call you out on it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
And like I stated in original post, most of the community is toxic. You 2 must be so good that you are top 8?? Im sorry, I disnt see you guys compete at evo?! BTW, as far as teleport goes, I never spammed it, must not of read my post, must just like being low IQ and starting forum wars. People like you probably should stay off the forums, you are part of the toxic community. To all others who actually are posting ideas to help, thank you!!!
You have to completely change your mentality here. If you actually want to improve you have to be honest with yourself. Take responsibility for your losses or you will never improve in ANY game.

I wrote an article awhile ago and maybe it’ll help you: https://testyourmight.com/threads/tips-on-becoming-a-better-player-part-1-how-losing-helps-you-get-better.3674/

Mayz22

Noob
bro have you been in the lab and tried to learn how to defend against the issue you are having? I would say no. The problem is you mate.
Why would your opponent change their game plan if it works. It's up to you to lab , defend and punish them to stop them using these tactics. But you decided to come into a comperative forum and blame the game and your opponents who play with no skill (who are beating you?). Again it seems the problem is you. Hold your Ls, learn from them and lab what is giving you issues. Asking for advice is fine but if you come in here with an attitude like you did people here will call you out on it.
That good an all, and it took me calling you back out on your bullshit to actually get a response instead of coming on the thread bashing. For 1 I dont see rules that prohibits me showing frustrations. Btw, i lab an hour everyday before I go online. I make no excuses. If I was out of line, i could see being called out. Since I am not the only person who feels this then we have every right to throw few complaints. Now again, I am not sure why you and others felt the need to name call or start shit. But I guess there are people more miserable than my so called anger in this thread.... (btw, that last sentence was not directed towards you.)

Mayz22

Noob
You have to completely change your mentality here. If you actually want to improve you have to be honest with yourself. Take responsibility for your losses or you will never improve in ANY game.

I wrote an article awhile ago and maybe it’ll help you: https://testyourmight.com/threads/tips-on-becoming-a-better-player-part-1-how-losing-helps-you-get-better.3674/
Wow, there you go, thats much appreciated. Ya know helping a fellow mortal kombat fan out!! I will read that because I enjoy good people trying to help. I dislike trolls tho!!!