What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member 66057

You may be tempted to go in and fight j]Joker up close. Or you could just do this.

D

Deleted member 66057

Also want to add some Raiden Fatal Blow tech. If the opponent breaks away immediately stormcell into f4 is guaranteed. However, if they delay the break away the fatal blow part will wiff and leave you open to a full combo punish.

However, s4 FB is universally guaranteed, but you'll be sacrificing 2%.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 66057

Seen some match footage of players like lanky struggling with mid command grabs. The height and floatiness of Raiden’s jump 2 will not punish a Geras command grab if you are neutral jumping. You will have to punish with a cross up or short hop.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
If Storm Cell was safe, then I'd think it'd be a cheap move. But it's entirely punishable, so it fits well in terms of risk reward. I don't think it's cheap at all. If you ove rely on D1 storm cell, your opponent is going to pick up on that and blow you up.
Right it's not safe and my point exactly they pick up on it if u over rely so yeah risk/reward definitely. I understand about it being gapless D1 storm cell but it's punishable.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
It's one of the few specials that can be used gapless from a d1 so that makes it among the best moves of its type in the game. I can understand why someone would find that cheap, but since the move is unsafe as you pointed out I think it's fine.
And it can be fuzzied, too.

Raiden's reward is large, but the risk is far greater to him since being wrong also hands them a D2 or other punish KB if they want it.
Yeah I've just been called cheap and a spammer so many times it isn't funny lol.. and that I have no skill. But yeah like mandalore said if I'm called cheap I must be doing something right but how you mentioned it's gapless ig that's why they complain. But also just salty they got caught.

And opponents D2 kb all day against storm cell I've eaten a lot of those lol

Yeah I've just been called cheap and a spammer so many times it isn't funny lol.. and that I have no skill. But yeah like mandalore said if I'm called cheap I must be doing something right but how you mentioned it's gapless ig that's why they complain. But also just salty they got caught.

And opponents D2 kb all day against storm cell I've eaten a lot of those lol
Ignore them. The people who complain are just salty they got caught mashing.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Right it's not safe and my point exactly they pick up on it if u over rely so yeah risk/reward definitely. I understand about it being gapless D1 storm cell but it's punishable.
Not technically gapless. IIRC 6f D1s trades (one party gets knocked down but I don't remember which, I think it's Raiden), so by that principle Discharge would beat it. Although to be fair reversal discharge after pokes is insanely hard to pull off (which is good because it's insanely powerful)

D

Deleted member 66057

Been getting some general gamplan questions in my inbox. For just helpful tips here: I almost never take a risk as Raiden until the opponent's d2 KB is gone. Sometimes I'll deliberately start the match with b12 grab to immediately get the opponent off the d2 KB knowing I can immediately break.

Every risk with Raiden opens him up to a d2 kb as opposed to Potato characters like Kotal Kahn who's mix is gernally in his favor.

The offensive mb tele, while gimmicky I do think is an important part of that mix however and you can bait d2's with it. Almost never see Raidens make use of this.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Not technically gapless. IIRC 6f D1s trades (one party gets knocked down but I don't remember which, I think it's Raiden), so by that principle Discharge would beat it. Although to be fair reversal discharge after pokes is insanely hard to pull off (which is good because it's insanely powerful)
Yeah that is true, it be a trade where either Raiden or both parties are knocked down. It's happened to me a few times in Kombat league.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Been getting some general gamplan questions in my inbox. For just helpful tips here: I almost never take a risk as Raiden until the opponent's d2 KB is gone. Sometimes I'll deliberately start the match with b12 grab to immediately get the opponent off the d2 KB knowing I can immediately break.

Every risk with Raiden opens him up to a d2 kb as opposed to Potato characters like Kotal Kahn who's mix is gernally in his favor.

The offensive mb tele, while gimmicky I do think is an important part of that mix however and you can bait d2's with it. Almost never see Raidens make use of this.
That's actually a good idea to get rid of the kb right away and use breakaway for it. And yeah I need to learn the ex tele more I can admit that lol. Kinda been hard to mix it in my game plan. Trying to find purpose for it as well, another Raiden used it on me I believe he ended with far tele.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Blows dust off thread

Random question, what build/set for Raiden let's him do the most damage in the corner, one bar (not including specific interactable corner combos)? I've never really bothered to compare Raijin or Thunder Wave. Anyone know?

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Blows dust off thread

Random question, what build/set for Raiden let's him do the most damage in the corner, one bar (not including specific interactable corner combos)? I've never really bothered to compare Raijin or Thunder Wave. Anyone know?
Raijin wins in the damage front, both mid screen and corner, but TW has the best unbreakable damage because of storm cell

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Let's do some matches today dawg, I'll be on later tonite
I'd love to play sometime. I'm not that good at the actual playing of fighting games, so I'd love to play more people and actually start to get better. I play on Xbox, and my availability is weeknights 7-9 Central, probably for 30-45 minutes. Let me know a night that works for you, we can try and connect sometime.

That goes for anyone who plays any fighting game on Xbox. I'd love to find some more regular people to play with so I can try and get better.

One thing I'm looking to do though is more of an academic exercise in breaking down a character matchup. I've never tried it before, but I think it'd be a fun project to help keep me motivated. I was going to just pick a character at random, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had a good idea for a particular matchup to lab.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'd love to play sometime. I'm not that good at the actual playing of fighting games, so I'd love to play more people and actually start to get better. I play on Xbox, and my availability is weeknights 7-9 Central, probably for 30-45 minutes. Let me know a night that works for you, we can try and connect sometime.

That goes for anyone who plays any fighting game on Xbox. I'd love to find some more regular people to play with so I can try and get better.

One thing I'm looking to do though is more of an academic exercise in breaking down a character matchup. I've never tried it before, but I think it'd be a fun project to help keep me motivated. I was going to just pick a character at random, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had a good idea for a particular matchup to lab.
I'm mostly on PC but did pick up a Series-S for console stuff. Tend to work till 6PM Central and likely fit in that weekday window of yours pretty well most weeks. Tend to be off and on the game and have very noticeable good and bad days, but I can usually make someone work for win.

XBox library is a bit thin so far, but pretty open to playing whatever.

I have your profile added already on playstation, but since you mostly play Xbox, we can set up a crossplay match.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think I'll start with a Scorpion matchup. That's a pretty basic one to start with.