What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Don't forget about F2. That's +18 (or +15) on hit, so a lot of things jail after, including 2, 4, 3. I love doing F2 ~ 1, 2, 1 for a KB.
I struggle incorporating F2 into my game. I'm just not good at spacing it yet, and it being 21F startup and it being high doesn't help. Any advice on what situations to use F2? I know F4 is only 2 frames faster, but I just feel more confident in F4 than F2 right now.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I struggle incorporating F2 into my game. I'm just not good at spacing it yet, and it being 21F startup and it being high doesn't help. Any advice on what situations to use F2? I know F4 is only 2 frames faster, but I just feel more confident in F4 than F2 right now.
For F4 and F2 you just have to get a feel for your opponent first. Of course the main purpose is whiff punishing stuff. But you could catch someone preemptively as well. I've gotten hits because I felt my opponent would try moving (usually a jump) at this time maybe because they're getting antsy. Maybe you've played patiently and the opponent thinks they can start sticking buttons out in that range or throw a projectile. Then you just zip across. You can also confirm into fly or just cancel too. Or if you're thunder wave you could just throw it out and teleport away anyways.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Have you guys found any particular matchups where Raijin is worth learning over Thunder Wave?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
You may as well just @ me. I got jade, erron, Kabal, geras, Jax I definitely prefer raijin. maybe kitana, Kung Lao. I like it against jacqui.
How does the Jacqui matchup look with Raijin? Being able to punish dash punch and forcing her to lower her pressure a bit due to Quick Charge sounds nice on paper, but what's the match actually like?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
How does the Jacqui matchup look with Raijin? Being able to punish dash punch and forcing her to lower her pressure a bit due to Quick Charge sounds nice on paper, but what's the match actually like?
Like any other jacqui match. She's constantly pressing buttons for free. But at least I have a 4f reversal to buffer during her shenanigans. Can punish dash punch, B22, and B22 shrapnel blast. Also Raiden has actual mixups which I believe is the way to fighter her unless you can really keep her out.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Why Jade?
You can fly against glow and low wave on reaction. Air glaive you can too just be careful of flying into a glaive. Which means you easily punish her zoning into corner carry from a distance. Then all her normal pressure stuff she'd usually do is easily punished with raijin. You basically make the jade player use like 3 moves or start canceling into glow kick on block.

Edit: I also forgot to mention taking half chip whenever you charge up is huge against characters like jade.

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
How does Frost beat Raiden? Please explain.
You can't reasonably react to frost D4. D4 reach is only matched by F1, F2, and F4. The first two are high and the mid is too slow. Further out B22 reaches you, and you can't counter poke properly spaced B2 and B22. Further out F2 is the only button she can press. Sure you can duck but now you're not moving and she's just gonna take space until she's in range again. Go full screen her projectiles are faster than yours + sheild. There's no point in the match where you actually have power in the match unless you're on top of pressuring her which isn't something Raiden really does. You're losing from the jump in neutral. So when are you going to gain an advantage?

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
You can't reasonably react to frost D4. D4 reach is only matched by F1, F2, and F4. The first two are high and the mid is too slow. Further out B22 reaches you, and you can't counter poke properly spaced B2 and B22. Further out F2 is the only button she can press. Sure you can duck but now you're not moving and she's just gonna take space until she's in range again. Go full screen her projectiles are faster than yours + sheild. There's no point in the match where you actually have power in the match unless you're on top of pressuring her which isn't something Raiden really does. You're losing from the jump in neutral. So when are you going to gain an advantage?
Electric Fly into the corner and then start my mix-ups. Raiden is strong there. Your reasons are logical though. I don't know, i haven't faced many Frosts, but the ones I have do not give me any problems. The only characters that scare me (on casual level of skill opponents, mind you, not talking highest competitive level) are Scorpion, Geras, and Kung Lao.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Electric Fly into the corner and then start my mix-ups. Raiden is strong there. Your reasons are logical though. I don't know, i haven't faced many Frosts, but the ones I have do not give me any problems. The only characters that scare me (on casual level of skill opponents, mind you, not talking highest competitive level) are Scorpion, Geras, and Kung Lao.
Trust me a good frost isn't letting you get a fly off. You're going to have to earn that corner and idk how you do it

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Trust me a good frost isn't letting you get a fly off. You're going to have to earn that corner and idk how you do it
Does Frost have an answer to Raiden's superior mobility though? I was thinking about this today and it dawned me that I am scared of Scorpion and Kung Lao because they can quickly get close to Raiden, especially in the case of Scoprion, if he does his teleport when we do ours, he very often wins. Frost, on the other hand, has a hard time getting in on a good Raiden. She doesn't have anything like Jacqui's dash punch move so she has to rely on jumping and forward dashing.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Does Frost have an answer to Raiden's superior mobility though? I was thinking about this today and it dawned me that I am scared of Scorpion and Kung Lao because they can quickly get close to Raiden, especially in the case of Scoprion, if he does his teleport when we do ours, he very often wins. Frost, on the other hand, has a hard time getting in on a good Raiden. She doesn't have anything like Jacqui's dash punch move so she has to rely on jumping and forward dashing.
She has a normal that's basically the same as dash punch. Fast mid screen high that's safe on block but with more pushback and range with no hurtbox. You're only scared of scorpion teleport because it'll instantly punish the slightest movement into a full combo and you can't ever just do anything. Kung Lao teleport is too slow, needs meter burn to not be easily stopped and also no combo. Raiden teleport is not a threat. It's strictly movement. It doesn't solve anything besides getting out of the corner or making a read against zoning. What is teleporting going to do against buttons you can't contest? Especially with far teleporting taking defensive bar. You're either right next to her or just away from her either way negative unless you caught frost shooting something.

SparkySanders

Unga bunga dude
Does anyone know where to get my mans electric fly brutalizer? I’ve went through the krypt and couldn’t find shit, is it perhaps in a towers of time thing for raiden?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't think Frost is that big of an issue for Raiden, if you read her projectiles or her FB and teleport instant punish chance for Raiden.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Does anyone know where to get my mans electric fly brutalizer? I’ve went through the krypt and couldn’t find shit, is it perhaps in a towers of time thing for raiden?
Very rare ToT award. I’ve only seen it twice and never had enough time to beat it