What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Hey all! I'm maining Raiden again in this version of mk. I love the kharacter but, I'm really having a hard time winning most of my matches online.. I'm pretty much a kharacter loyalist so I dont plan on dropping lord raiden at all.

I really only play storm cell and after watching kombat play raiden at combo breaker I feel like I have a better understanding of how he should be played. That being said I know I have a lot to learn and I dont want to seem like raiden is the only reason I'm struggling..I just feel like b12 is the only starter used primarily. Imo if your opponent blocks low the majority of the time that almost seals my fate in a set. I've already learned not to throw storm cell (db2) out on block too.

Any advice or strategy you guys suggest? Or does anyone feel the same way?

I DO NOT like crying for buffs, but the only thing I'm confident in suggesting is adjusting some of the kb requirements for: pizza chops (b2) and possibly electric fly
You also try mixing up B1, 2 with B1, 4. The latter is an Overhead, albeit a reactable one, so if they block low too much it could catch them. It also depends on who you are playing against. If you are up against highly skilled opponents, canceling into Storm Cell on block and B1, 4 are probably not advisable, but against casual players they work well.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
the point is if he is supposed to be punisher he could easily punish this but he cant
So the abundance of forward advancing moves he has covering many different ranges doesn’t make him a whiff punisher and spacing/footsies character?

one thing about oki: doing b31 just when the opponent's body completely came to rest after a knockdown covers all delayed wakeup times when he's out of meter.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

one thing about oki: doing b13 just when the opponent's body completely came to rest after a knockdown covers all delayed wakeup times when he's out of meter.
You mean B12 or B14? Both options are also unsafe unless you’re doing B12 far teleport or fly cancels but it’s a way to improve oki so thanks

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
wtf is the lightning rod special for? I really don't get it and have never been so confused by a special move in my whole life. haha

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Whether it works on noobs or not I wouldn't recommend making this a habit to anyone.
It shouldn't be a habit, but it is something that can be used sparingly for mind games. You can throw it out once and see how the opponents reacts and then formulate a strategy accordingly. It's a tool like any other, it has to be used in the proper situation.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Yeah
It shouldn't be a habit, but it is something that can be used sparingly for mind games. You can throw it out once and see how the opponents reacts and then formulate a strategy accordingly. It's a tool like any other, it has to be used in the proper situation.
I’ve seen good Raiden players terrified to use it at all.

You have to you it once for conditioning at least. Then they’ll start respecting cancels teleports etc. or I’ll spend the whole game using b12 Superman cancel and then start mixing up storm cell.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Yeah

I’ve seen good Raiden players terrified to use it at all.

You have to you it once for conditioning at least. Then they’ll start respecting cancels teleports etc. or I’ll spend the whole game using b12 Superman cancel and then start mixing up storm cell.
Indeed. That is what I meant.

On a different topic, has anybody seen the video on the home page about Option Selects with Raiden, and other characters? I don' understand exactly how it would work. He said something like pressing D, Block (more often than not R2, but i use R1), Back, 3, U when you have them knocked down in the corner and that's supposed to cover all of their options, i.e. all wake-ups and rolls. That'd be awesome if it works. Is anybody using that?

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
Because 243 is safe at -3, hit confirmable, and has no gaps in it.

@Marlow Would highly recommended learning D3 jail into 243. B3, F2 and F3 also jail into 243
Thanks. I already use F3 into 243. I'll work on getting more consistent with D3 into 243, I just didn't know if there were any hitbox issues with it.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Thanks. I already use F3 into 243. I'll work on getting more consistent with D3 into 243, I just didn't know if there were any hitbox issues with it.
B12 is easily hit confirmable and leaves you with more options. Just me, but I think poke should still be more plus on hit. It's still a super tight jail online I'd rather not risk.

B12 is easily hit confirmable and leaves you with more options. Just me, but I think poke should still be more plus on hit. It's still a super tight jail online I'd rather not risk.
agree, it would be awesome to actually be able to use 3,2 and hitconfirm after a poke.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
agree, it would be awesome to actually be able to use 3,2 and hitconfirm after a poke.
Yeah right now 321 (i think) is a completely useless string. That should any gap in it at the very least. I don't really know how to fix that string to be honest, but it's pretty awful.

Mandolore1123

Yeah right now 321 (i think) is a completely useless string. That should any gap in it at the very least. I don't really know how to fix that string to be honest, but it's pretty awful.
32 in theory is his max damage 11f high punisher. Where F3 would be his max damage 11f mid punisher. Things like SZ’s slide has to be punished by F3 since the move lowers his hurtbox and 32 will whiff, but it’s easier to do B12 since you can hit confirm. Many would just use B12 to punish since it serves both an 11f mid and is forward advancing and can be hit confirmed. It also doesn’t help that S3 whiffs on crouch-blocking opponents, making the only normal he has which is plus (+3) kind of useless. If the case gets all the hitbox fixes, I imagine we will have to take a big look into Raiden’s S3 and it’s usage in matches.