What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Swoops

Noob
So basically after F3, F2, B3, D3 hit, it’ll be a mix-up of either throw or 243 or mid?
Yup. He can also do B2, or B31, or d1/d3~storm cell. His mix his honestly pretty strong when hes in advantage lol

Storm cell is the most punishable move in the game. He hasn’t no mix and unsafe on pretty new much everything without Superman cancels or far teleport. So basically if you start offense with Raiden and you have no defense bar, you’re absolutely fucked.
Then don't start risky offense if you don't have defensive bar.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Yup. He can also do B2, or B31, or d1/d3~storm cell. His mix his honestly pretty strong when hes in advantage lol

Then don't start risky offense if you don't have defensive bar.
I agree. His plus frames on hit are great. Guess that makes up for his block frames

Swoops

Noob
His mix is unsafe tho. Overhead is unsafe and b34 has a flawless block gap in it.
They’ve deliberately made most 50/50 mix in this game unsafe in some way. Raiden isn’t an exception to that rule.

He gets at least 30% and corner carry off his mix. If they made it safe that would be ridiculous lol. If you want to be safe then use 243, F32, B1, F4/2, F11 etc etc. (also B31 still works to an extent)

Mandolore1123

It is unsafe, but ending a combo with b2 means you only need to hit it one more time for around ~500+ damage or 300+ for the low so the risk/reward is still in your favor imo
I find often the threat of B2 KB is more important than the damage you get from the KB. I catch so many people panicking and the resulting collapse in game plan and the respect you get for this singular option is very powerful in Raiden’s up-close game, which revolves around respect and conditioning.

It's hard to tell so early in the game, but I'm not convinced Raiden really needs anything atm. Strings may be unsafe, but he can mix up plenty of options such as near or far tp, storm cell, superman cancel, etc, and he gets massive rewards off of every hit. ~300 dmg and corner carry for a bar midscreen is great in this game. He has side switch combos, good kb's, and very highly rewarding corner mixups. I think he is a strong character.
While I'm often in agreement with the "wait and see" path, I really dislike how they nerfed him. All I really want is to roll back Lightning Strike to that build, if Raiden could have just one thing.

Totally reasonable, imo.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
What's the weakness of Raiden's teleport? I can't seem to punish, even on read. And I used to smack Ares' all day Injustice for their tp.
I mean you can punish it but you have to be fast, like to the point you might have to throw out a jab to "buffer" a punish if the teleport comes out. But if he does the amplified version then that won't work, but you can throw punish it.

While we're on the subject, I think that part of the reason that they toned down Lighting Strike in the first place was because of how phenomenal Raiden's teleport is.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It definitely helps him that he can pick the placement of his teleport compared to other characters teleports(not counting Scorps since his has like 100 options lol)

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
I’m really starting to think 21 may be his most underrated string. It pushes the opponent while it’s active and it’s probably his most hit confirmable launcher while still remaining safe. Can anti air at certain distances and has slightly better recover than f4.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
What are some strategies for fighting up close? I'm not sure what the game plan is once we're in poke range. All I've got is D3 into B1 or throw. Everything else either feels too slow on start up, or is a high (AKA, useless because nothing jails and everyone low pokes all day).
I've been playing the Stormcell variation so I've got a little (unsafe) dirt there. But it really got to me playing Raijin that there just doesn't seem to be much in his kit.
Any help is appreciated.

Mandolore1123

What are some strategies for fighting up close? I'm not sure what the game plan is once we're in poke range. All I've got is D3 into B1 or throw. Everything else either feels too slow on start up, or is a high (AKA, useless because nothing jails and everyone low pokes all day).
I've been playing the Stormcell variation so I've got a little (unsafe) dirt there. But it really got to me playing Raijin that there just doesn't seem to be much in his kit.
Any help is appreciated.
F3 is his best up close button, leads into staggers (F3, F3; F3, throw; F32; F3, B1...) and is -6. However the drawback compared with most other staggers in the game is that you’re too minus (think of Scorpion/Jacqui/Kabal...) so anyone and everyone can and should poke after blocking F3. I think D3 also jails into 243 but I’m not sure, I know it guarantees F3 so you can enforce the strike throw mixup after every successful poke like most characters. F3 is +15 on hit so it jails into a lot of stuff (notably F3, B1, throw, and 243 again). Doing fly cancels and far teleport keep strings safer and open up opportunities for Raiden to whiff punish with F11, B12 and F4. If characters do not have a full screen move that is fast then a far lightning strike after a midscreen combo ended with electric fly is a good way to check opponents and get extra chip damage.

Hope this helps

MKF30

His F4 also staggers into throws I've noticed, catches people off guard besides the F3, 3 etc. His 3 comes out fast.

Mandolore1123

His F4 also staggers into throws I've noticed, catches people off guard besides the F3, 3 etc. His 3 comes out fast.
F4 is only +5 on block though so you have to be quick. I’ve been poked out of throws all too often

MKF30

F4 is only +5 on block though so you have to be quick. I’ve been poked out of throws all too often
You're right about being fast, I mean pretty much most moves with fast frames you have to be online at least because you never know what the lag will do lol. This one guy I couldn't punish his blocked scorp teleports, was bs. I rarely get poked out of throws but I have gotten teched out from certain people who time it well. I get poked out of certain strings which I hate, this game is literally Pokey Kombat more than anything.

Mandolore1123

You're right about being fast, I mean pretty much most moves with fast frames you have to be online at least because you never know what the lag will do lol. This one guy I couldn't punish his blocked scorp teleports, was bs. I rarely get poked out of throws but I have gotten teched out from certain people who time it well. I get poked out of certain strings which I hate, this game is literally Pokey Kombat more than anything.
What I hate is throws eating up the startup of my pokes and I can’t tech as a result. Even if I read the throw and do a d2 it eats up the startup which is quite insane.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Something I've started to do in practice mode is pick Raiden, and then pick Jacqui as the opponent. Then set standing mode to duck, block mode to random attack, and reversal mode to on, with Grease Kicks being selected since it has 8 frames of startup, which I believe if done as a reversal is the equivalent of a 7 frame move. Then I practice hit confirming F3 into either block or 243, trying to get the 243 jail. You can even go a step further and work on hit confirming the 243 into a special move as well.

Edit: You can also use this same setup to practice D3 and hit confirm into F3, and then into 243, just to keep adding layers. D3 technically jails 243, but it's a tight link (D3 is +12, and S2 has a startup of 11), so I find it easier to try and have my offense up close revolve around setting up F3 with either D1 or D3.

Last edited:

MKF30

What I hate is throws eating up the startup of my pokes and I can’t tech as a result. Even if I read the throw and do a d2 it eats up the startup which is quite insane.
I know the feeling, That's so dumb, so much dumb shit in this game, when I duck and not hit block I swear throws hit me, the game is heavily poke based who's got faster, safer pokes, the wake up system sucks in the corner because the options get stuffed half the time. I can go on but I'm sure you know lol