What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Whether it works on noobs or not I wouldn't recommend making this a habit to anyone.
It shouldn't be a habit, but it is something that can be used sparingly for mind games. You can throw it out once and see how the opponents reacts and then formulate a strategy accordingly. It's a tool like any other, it has to be used in the proper situation.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Yeah
It shouldn't be a habit, but it is something that can be used sparingly for mind games. You can throw it out once and see how the opponents reacts and then formulate a strategy accordingly. It's a tool like any other, it has to be used in the proper situation.
I’ve seen good Raiden players terrified to use it at all.

You have to you it once for conditioning at least. Then they’ll start respecting cancels teleports etc. or I’ll spend the whole game using b12 Superman cancel and then start mixing up storm cell.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Yeah

I’ve seen good Raiden players terrified to use it at all.

You have to you it once for conditioning at least. Then they’ll start respecting cancels teleports etc. or I’ll spend the whole game using b12 Superman cancel and then start mixing up storm cell.
Indeed. That is what I meant.

On a different topic, has anybody seen the video on the home page about Option Selects with Raiden, and other characters? I don' understand exactly how it would work. He said something like pressing D, Block (more often than not R2, but i use R1), Back, 3, U when you have them knocked down in the corner and that's supposed to cover all of their options, i.e. all wake-ups and rolls. That'd be awesome if it works. Is anybody using that?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Because 243 is safe at -3, hit confirmable, and has no gaps in it.

@Marlow Would highly recommended learning D3 jail into 243. B3, F2 and F3 also jail into 243
Thanks. I already use F3 into 243. I'll work on getting more consistent with D3 into 243, I just didn't know if there were any hitbox issues with it.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Thanks. I already use F3 into 243. I'll work on getting more consistent with D3 into 243, I just didn't know if there were any hitbox issues with it.
B12 is easily hit confirmable and leaves you with more options. Just me, but I think poke should still be more plus on hit. It's still a super tight jail online I'd rather not risk.

B12 is easily hit confirmable and leaves you with more options. Just me, but I think poke should still be more plus on hit. It's still a super tight jail online I'd rather not risk.
agree, it would be awesome to actually be able to use 3,2 and hitconfirm after a poke.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
agree, it would be awesome to actually be able to use 3,2 and hitconfirm after a poke.
Yeah right now 321 (i think) is a completely useless string. That should any gap in it at the very least. I don't really know how to fix that string to be honest, but it's pretty awful.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Yeah right now 321 (i think) is a completely useless string. That should any gap in it at the very least. I don't really know how to fix that string to be honest, but it's pretty awful.
32 in theory is his max damage 11f high punisher. Where F3 would be his max damage 11f mid punisher. Things like SZ’s slide has to be punished by F3 since the move lowers his hurtbox and 32 will whiff, but it’s easier to do B12 since you can hit confirm. Many would just use B12 to punish since it serves both an 11f mid and is forward advancing and can be hit confirmed. It also doesn’t help that S3 whiffs on crouch-blocking opponents, making the only normal he has which is plus (+3) kind of useless. If the case gets all the hitbox fixes, I imagine we will have to take a big look into Raiden’s S3 and it’s usage in matches.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Because 243 is safe at -3, hit confirmable, and has no gaps in it.

@Marlow Would highly recommended learning D3 jail into 243. B3, F2 and F3 also jail into 243
So basically after F3, F2, B3, D3 hit, it’ll be a mix-up of either throw or 243 or mid?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's unfortunate some of his cancels can be punished but I think when used in moderation it's a solid strategy honestly. The B1,2 staggers can make for some annoying headgames.

His 321 string is literally the worst for Raiden, it's beyond slow and if I'm going to use a string with his staff it'll be F1,12 if anything.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Is there a good way to use or setup B2? Not that Raiden seems to be an OH/L character, but since it does have a KB attached to it I'd like to at least find a possible situational use for it.

3kCle

Noob
Is there a good way to use or setup B2? Not that Raiden seems to be an OH/L character, but since it does have a KB attached to it I'd like to at least find a possible situational use for it.
In the corner, amp storm cell, jik, b2 sets up a very scary mixup situation with b2 and b3. People tend to roll or wakeup attack if they are familiar with the situation, which you can punish by doing walk back b2 into kb.

About 32, it is definitely not a great string, but I use it when I confirm off of a JIP for max damage. Its good if you jump a projectile or neutral jump a wakeup option.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
I watched the rewind match from January again and it’s fairly obvious this character needs lightning strike (tracking move ) To be safe. Really not sure they would make it so negative when it’s just a ranged check.

In that build, b12 looked safe as well.

3kCle

Noob
I watched the rewind match from January again and it’s fairly obvious this character needs lightning strike (tracking move ) To be safe. Really not sure they would make it so negative when it’s just a ranged check.

In that build, b12 looked safe as well.
It's hard to tell so early in the game, but I'm not convinced Raiden really needs anything atm. Strings may be unsafe, but he can mix up plenty of options such as near or far tp, storm cell, superman cancel, etc, and he gets massive rewards off of every hit. ~300 dmg and corner carry for a bar midscreen is great in this game. He has side switch combos, good kb's, and very highly rewarding corner mixups. I think he is a strong character.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
It's hard to tell so early in the game, but I'm not convinced Raiden really needs anything atm. Strings may be unsafe, but he can mix up plenty of options such as near or far tp, storm cell, superman cancel, etc, and he gets massive rewards off of every hit. ~300 dmg and corner carry for a bar midscreen is great in this game. He has side switch combos, good kb's, and very highly rewarding corner mixups. I think he is a strong character.
Storm cell is the most punishable move in the game. He hasn’t no mix and unsafe on pretty new much everything without Superman cancels or far teleport. So basically if you start offense with Raiden and you have no defense bar, you’re absolutely fucked. You can’t mb lightning strike on block and bf1 wiffs on crouching opponents. Df2 should Be safe and then we have a character with options.

Jax on the other hand can stagger and complete his offense without repercussions.and still has great mobility with bf2.

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Storm cell is the most punishable move in the game. He hasn’t no mix and unsafe on pretty new much everything without Superman cancels or far teleport. So basically if you start offense with Raiden and you have no defense bar, you’re absolutely fucked. You can’t mb lightning strike on block and bf1 wiffs on crouching opponents. Df2 should Be safe and then we have a character with options.

Jax in the others hand can stagger and complete his offense without repercussions.and still hasn’t great mobility with bf2.
Still better than Kung Lao

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If he gets that buff I’d be so happy. Right now you can only use the far version.
Unless you have lots of health and you need chip the close one can act as a shield but yeah I only like doing the mid to far plus it's one of his brutalities hehe

raidens design alone is pretty fine, no arguing about that. but then, have you labbed for example cassie or geras? these characters are so good. safe, fast mids, launchers and krushing blows everywhere. i dont know why they have it. raiden has some great specials and mobility, but hes just not up there with them. id rather tone the others down though.

3kCle

Noob
raidens design alone is pretty fine, no arguing about that. but then, have you labbed for example cassie or geras? these characters are so good. safe, fast mids, launchers and krushing blows everywhere. i dont know why they have it. raiden has some great specials and mobility, but hes just not up there with them. id rather tone the others down though.
Yes, Ive labbed those characters. He might not be the absolute top of the top, but hes still very strong. One thing to note is that even with no defensive meter, the opponent still has to guess with the punish as you can mixup with storm cell occasionally. Because of these mixups, a good Raiden will almost never get punished for strings such as b12. 243 is safe as well and jails off d1. His teleport drastically changes neutral and he can deal with zoning from skarlet, cetrion, cassie, sonya, etc in a way that few characters can. We shouldn't downplay the character just because he has negative strings or because he doesn't seem as strong as sonya or geras. He has plenty of room from growth as time goes on