What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Swoops

Noob
I've been struggling to use f11 effectively. Any time I throw it out they either immediately duck it or jump over it.
It’s definitely a niche use, but an important one. I use it as an anti-move forward. Using it preemptively in any spot you anticipate them starting to move forward. Really helpful in a lot of match ups where the opponent wants to slowly walk in your space like jax, Jacqui, Baraka. Safe on block and good way to confirm into Db2

Generally speaking the only way they’re going to whiff punish it is if they are up close avoiding the high (and it shouldn’t be used here anyways) or if they time a jump well to get over it. and IMO if you’re opponent is starting to commit to jumps then it’s a very good thing for you

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Speaking of hops, I like his hop 4 as it has good range. I've literally nailed people from just beyond sweep distance with it, but his other hop 3 is also good.

It’s definitely a niche use, but an important one. I use it as an anti-move forward. Using it preemptively in any spot you anticipate them starting to move forward. Really helpful in a lot of match ups where the opponent wants to slowly walk in your space like jax, Jacqui, Baraka. Safe on block and good way to confirm into Db2

Generally speaking the only way they’re going to whiff punish it is if they are up close avoiding the high (and it shouldn’t be used here anyways) or if they time a jump well to get over it. and IMO if you’re opponent is starting to commit to jumps then it’s a very good thing for you
you described some of f11 uses well, but its all but niche. i use f11~bf3 as neutral tool all the time, because you can cancel bf3 on reaction. also it is the best after ji2, the ji2 jails them into high block and you can either confirm into db2 or be at -5.

Swoops

Noob
also it is the best after ji2, the ji2 jails them into high block and you can either confirm into db2 or be at -5.
I typically use 243 in most jailing scenarios, since it serves the same function but the whole string is -3 and leads into more meterless damage. That being said F11 might allow more time than 2,4 to confirm into DB2 AMP

In the DLC trailer, when Shang Tsung borrowed Raiden’s moves for a lil bit, he did the standard BnB into KB superman. Is this replicable at the minute or was it just to show that he gets their KBs too? I can’t seem to connect it anywhere close to full screen.

MKF30

In the DLC trailer, when Shang Tsung borrowed Raiden’s moves for a lil bit, he did the standard BnB into KB superman. Is this replicable at the minute or was it just to show that he gets their KBs too? I can’t seem to connect it anywhere close to full screen.
Yeah, I also noticed he stole his KB but does this mean he takes the opponent's KB or that Shang can just do it? He also did it in a combo not max distance as the requirement is for Raiden so I wonder.

I typically use 243 in most jailing scenarios, since it serves the same function but the whole string is -3 and leads into more meterless damage. That being said F11 might allow more time than 2,4 to confirm into DB2 AMP
does db2 catch the opponent after 243? i use the 243 in f3 hitstun jail but nor for jump ins.

Yeah, I also noticed he stole his KB but does this mean he takes the opponent's KB or that Shang can just do it? He also did it in a combo not max distance as the requirement is for Raiden so I wonder.
Ah that could be it, if he gets the damage buff after that like before, there's gonna be some serious dirt.

Ah that could be it, if he gets the damage buff after that like before, there's gonna be some serious dirt.
Obviously today's Kast will tell us the truth, but it's more than likely Raiden is just getting his old KB conditions back for that move, and Shang Tsung has access to all of his opponent's KBs when morphed.
Him gaining his own unique conditions doesn't make any sense.

MKF30

Obviously today's Kast will tell us the truth, but it's more than likely Raiden is just getting his old KB conditions back for that move, and Shang Tsung has access to all of his opponent's KBs when morphed.
Wait, there's KK today? lol haven't been on twitter past few days. Thanks for that update! :D i agree, if shang can take you KB and steal it with easier conditions that's going to piss people off lol

Unrelated, but I want b2's first hit to be cancelable again. I wanna see the dirt this created to make them take it away before we even got to use it.

You see I was thinking they were going to maybe change his KB back but presumed they would wait for a big balance patch (so after CEO presumably). I really hope they do, it's so risky as it is and it's not like Marauder doesn't get big damage off his mid-combo.

MKF30

Anyone else sometimes have trouble consistently nailing his 234 ~Superman combo after D2 KB?

Mostly on the second hit, the 3 part of the combo since it's a low I've noticed you kind of have to delay and not immediately juggle after the the uppercut launches them into the air.

Anyone else sometimes have trouble consistently nailing his 234 ~Superman combo after D2 KB?

Mostly on the second hit, the 3 part of the combo since it's a low I've noticed you kind of have to delay and not immediately juggle after the the uppercut launches them into the air.
getting the 3 right is so tight id rather not do it. i go with 4~db2 in both variations.

MKF30

getting the 3 right is so tight id rather not do it. i go with 4~db2 in both variations.
I agree lol, true I've noticed his 4 has good range and easier hitbox for sure lol. I also sometimes do his B1,2 into Superman. I definitely think he has easier options than the 234 ender on that KB.

I agree lol, true I've noticed his 4 has good range and easier hitbox for sure lol. I also sometimes do his B1,2 into Superman. I definitely think he has easier options than the 234 ender on that KB.
goes for almost anything, ive experimented quite a bit with 234 and i couldnt come up with any juggle that has just the right gravity to make 234 connect for sure while having easy timing.

MKF30

goes for almost anything, ive experimented quite a bit with 234 and i couldnt come up with any juggle that has just the right gravity to make 234 connect for sure while having easy timing.
Yeah I saw one Raiden player get it consistently after a cross up JK and the D2 KB on PS2 from someone's posted matches on YT, but most Raiden players don't go for it because it's too risky to whiff due to that odd gravity falling. It's a good combo to mix up with his overheads, but for juggles I agree not the most practical.

I find dash canceling into 243 (I assume everyone is making a typo) to be very consistent in landing it after the d2 krush. They should be about to hit the floor when the 2 connects.
The dash itself can be buffered during the launch and once Raiden moves forward they should have fallen to the appropriate height where you can then cancel into 243.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw one Raiden player get it consistently after a cross up JK and the D2 KB on PS2 from someone's posted matches on YT, but most Raiden players don't go for it because it's too risky to whiff due to that odd gravity falling. It's a good combo to mix up with his overheads, but for juggles I agree not the most practical.
i mainly use it as go-to pressure string after f3 stagger on hit, can be linked into bf3 and cancelled on reaction.

MKF30

Yeah that's true trustful, like the timing of it. Though I think in a close match especially I'd probably play it safe with the 4 into Superman or just an uppercut.

i mainly use it as go-to pressure string after f3 stagger on hit, can be linked into bf3 and cancelled on reaction.
Yeah that's a good way to use it for sure. I like using it also sometimes on cross up jump ins it's good when mixed up with his B3, 1 string.