What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This actually pisses me off a little. Don't show us gameplay maneuvers that aren't real, in a fighting game. Especially ones that look identical to a state of the game that once existed.

Not cool, NRS.
Agreed, that's very deceiving. I wish they would change that KB into just doing enhanced/amplified Superman 2 or 3 times, activates on the 3rd time. I feel like between that one and his B2 one, he'll almost never get them in a serious match. :(

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
Hey all! I'm maining Raiden again in this version of mk. I love the kharacter but, I'm really having a hard time winning most of my matches online.. I'm pretty much a kharacter loyalist so I dont plan on dropping lord raiden at all.

I really only play storm cell and after watching kombat play raiden at combo breaker I feel like I have a better understanding of how he should be played. That being said I know I have a lot to learn and I dont want to seem like raiden is the only reason I'm struggling..I just feel like b12 is the only starter used primarily. Imo if your opponent blocks low the majority of the time that almost seals my fate in a set. I've already learned not to throw storm cell (db2) out on block too.

Any advice or strategy you guys suggest? Or does anyone feel the same way?

I DO NOT like crying for buffs, but the only thing I'm confident in suggesting is adjusting some of the kb requirements for: pizza chops (b2) and possibly electric fly

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Hey all! I'm maining Raiden again in this version of mk. I love the kharacter but, I'm really having a hard time winning most of my matches online.. I'm pretty much a kharacter loyalist so I dont plan on dropping lord raiden at all.

I really only play storm cell and after watching kombat play raiden at combo breaker I feel like I have a better understanding of how he should be played. That being said I know I have a lot to learn and I dont want to seem like raiden is the only reason I'm struggling..I just feel like b12 is the only starter used primarily. Imo if your opponent blocks low the majority of the time that almost seals my fate in a set. I've already learned not to throw storm cell (db2) out on block too.

I DO NOT like crying for buffs, but the only thing I'm confident in suggesting is adjusting some of the kb requirements for: pizza chops (b2) and possibly electric fly
F3 for staggers
TP to move around
Raiden is a whiff punisher mainly but he has a presence in all parts of the screen. Bait out things to whiff punish with TP and staggers and stuff.
Throw lots and add in B2 and hop 3 to threaten with overheads.
He’s not a bad character, just honest and that means he will get outshined by the rest of the cast

Yeah that's true trustful, like the timing of it. Though I think in a close match especially I'd probably play it safe with the 4 into Superman or just an uppercut.

Yeah that's a good way to use it for sure. I like using it also sometimes on cross up jump ins it's good when mixed up with his B3, 1 string.
does it jail high on a jump in?

imo b12 in the neutral only makes sense if you cancel it into bf3 and cancel that on reaction when blocked. otherwise f3 should be your "go to" button in sweep range.

overall, the reason why its hard to win with raiden is because he is a more defensive character. when you play an offensive character, you have to learn his offense and go win. if you play a defensive character, you have to learn all other character's offenses to win. its not that he's weaker, it just takes a lot more effort, especially in the early days of a game, and even more in a game where beginner-level offense takes pro-level defense to defend against (im looking at you, erron black).

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
does it jail high on a jump in?
I feel like I have the advantage when they block it. The first few strings that is.

Re-read what you asked, thought you meant on the ground at first my fault lol. But on jump ins, first few hits then you can throw them or after his vicinity blast, if they block it you're good, if not you get a combo.

Last edited:

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner

You also try mixing up B1, 2 with B1, 4. The latter is an Overhead, albeit a reactable one, so if they block low too much it could catch them. It also depends on who you are playing against. If you are up against highly skilled opponents, canceling into Storm Cell on block and B1, 4 are probably not advisable, but against casual players they work well.

Mandolore1123

the point is if he is supposed to be punisher he could easily punish this but he cant
So the abundance of forward advancing moves he has covering many different ranges doesn’t make him a whiff punisher and spacing/footsies character?

one thing about oki: doing b31 just when the opponent's body completely came to rest after a knockdown covers all delayed wakeup times when he's out of meter.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

one thing about oki: doing b13 just when the opponent's body completely came to rest after a knockdown covers all delayed wakeup times when he's out of meter.
You mean B12 or B14? Both options are also unsafe unless you’re doing B12 far teleport or fly cancels but it’s a way to improve oki so thanks

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
wtf is the lightning rod special for? I really don't get it and have never been so confused by a special move in my whole life. haha