What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

ive had quite some success with bf3 krushing blows. of course its always a risk, but there are some scenarios where there is a good chance of it working.
  • punishing any fullscreen attack that is not a straightforward projectile, like sand trap, kahns spear or frosts grenades. if your opponent gets too trigger-happy, you can go for a read.
  • same goes for powerups like jades glow.
  • another scenario is when they zone and all they do is dash back -> projectile, while you dashblock your way in. you can catch them on the dashback after a blocked shot.
dangers: this works best in situations where you cant zone back or teleport and they are sure about it. if you are in a position where you can throw a lightning, theyre gonna block it and so also catch the bf 3.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
I think while this is much more useful in general it also creates a problem in that Storm Cell is the only way Raiden can get this KB without scoring an air-to-air with fly, making Thunder Wave more attractive than it already is. We need more reasons to pick Raijin too.
I thought the original EF KB just required to hit them in the air, not for Raiden to also be airborne?

If that was the case, don't we still have jump in 3/4 into Air EF?

If not, 2,1; 2,4,3; b+3,1 etc technically put the opponent airborne. In Raijin, doing EF after these is usually the best ender unless they're at the wall and you have Discharge ready.

Or you can land Summon Lightning (d,b+2) which technically does more damage than EF, but lacks the corner carry.

Btw random idea: What if they changed the KB requirement for EF to simply be: If you push them to the corner, then show some kind of "splat" animation with broken bones? No amp required.

IDK. I think stuff.

Last edited:
I thought the original EF KB just required to hit them in the air, not for Raiden to also be airborne?

If that was the case, don't we still have jump in 3/4 into Air EF?

If not, 2,1; 2,4,3; b+3,1 etc technically put the opponent airborne. In Raijin, doing EF after these is usually the best ender unless they're at the wall and you have Discharge ready.

Or you can land Summon Lightning (d,b+2) which technically does more damage than EF, but lacks the corner carry.

Btw random idea: What if they changed the KB requirement for EF to simply be: If you push them to the corner, then show some kind of "splat" animation with broken bones? No amp required.

IDK. I think stuff.
The old requirement was definitely amp air fly on an opponent who is in the air, which can be seen in PND K&M's video breakdown on Raiden before the game released.

My point is that Storm Cell would be the only move he has that will allow him to trigger this KB on his own, otherwise he would have to land an air-to-air, as in he's not setting up the situation himself but reacting to an aa opportunity.
I just think that makes things too lopsided towards what is already considered his most essential ability right now.

I like your idea better since it can be reliably triggered with any variation, which I think his KBs should be.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's really unfortunate his EX or AMP DB2 isn't safe since it does push the opponent back a little, you'd think it should be safe. Another thing I've noticed is unlike the last 2 MK games, MK 11 with the odd hitboxes and floaty jumping, Raiden's jip tend to whiff a lot but I've found replacing it with cross up JK's into Superman are great for getting space and a lot more safe if they block. I also find doing his far placement teleport if you're back is in or near the corner much better than rolling honestly if you have the defensive meter to spare.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Do you think that Raiden’s superman Kb in the Shang trailer is a hint at changing the requirement to comboing into it? I know thats not really the change he needs, and they’ve miss lead Krushing Blow requirements in trailers before, but I think it would be a cool change. Might be wishful thinking and highly unlikely, but I hope this hints at easier Krushing Blow requirements across the cast.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
Amp'd lightning bolt is another thing you can extend a combo with (on standing opponent) in the corner if you have Discharge.

Ex: 1,2, LBamp, d,b+3, 2,1, 2,4,3~d,b+2 (summon lightning) for 332 dmg etc.

Random find. OK I guess if you have a variation without electric current as well (ie Raijin)

Amp'd lightning bolt is another thing you can extend a combo with (on standing opponent) in the corner if you have Discharge.

Random find. OK I guess if you have a variation without electric current as well (ie Raijin)
raijin doesnt have lightning bolt though.

It's really unfortunate his EX or AMP DB2 isn't safe since it does push the opponent back a little, you'd think it should be safe.
how would it pushback since you cant amp it on block?

MKF30

raijin doesnt have lightning bolt though.

how would it pushback since you cant amp it on block?
You know the final animation in block where the bubble of electricity kind of spreads out when he does that it could push back more but they didn't program it to do that sadly.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky

That’s pretty nice, does it do more damage than using DB4 (low staff)? I know you can connect a D1 after Amped Lightning Bolt so the link will be easier than amped DB4, but if it does less damage you can make a tradeoff between difficulty and total damage.

You know the final animation in block where the bubble of electricity kind of spreads out when he does that it could push back more but they didn't program it to do that sadly.
ah ok. the low pushback is not bad though, in this situation many people feel like going in after blocking, but time and distance are just right to throw out another d1~stormcell to catch their dash-in/attack.

MKF30

ah ok. the low pushback is not bad though, in this situation many people feel like going in after blocking, but time and distance are just right to throw out another d1~stormcell to catch their dash-in/attack.
Yeah I like his D4 and D1 work well for me, mixing up his B3, 1 with his B1, 2 into Storm Cell. I wish it had a little more pushback but it's not bad lol. Kind of sucks though how his B2 krushing blow has to be two in a row flat out and not just two in a match cause he has some sweet damage off that.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Yeah I like his D4 and D1 work well for me, mixing up his B3, 1 with his B1, 2 into Storm Cell. I wish it had a little more pushback but it's not bad lol. Kind of sucks though how his B2 krushing blow has to be two in a row flat out and not just two in a match cause he has some sweet damage off that.
I prefer B2 as it is now. It’s a shortcut to the panic button in the opponent’s head. Messes up their game plan completely and they have to guess. Short hop 3, throw, low, B2, hop into button, mid, your choice. His Krushing Blows aren’t bad, they compliment his playstyle well. Even his Fly KB is getting changed hopefully so he’ll definitely be in a better spot soon.

MKF30

I prefer B2 as it is now. It’s a shortcut to the panic button in the opponent’s head. Messes up their game plan completely and they have to guess. Short hop 3, throw, low, B2, hop into button, mid, your choice. His Krushing Blows aren’t bad, they compliment his playstyle well. Even his Fly KB is getting changed hopefully so he’ll definitely be in a better spot soon.
If it had range and was safe I'd use it more but the fact that is' HIGHLY punishable, doesn't juggle anymore(outside the KB exception which will almost never happen if you're facing a good player) and you have to get it twice in a row, not just twice in a match on second time hitting but twice in a row makes it less than desirable honestly. For overheads he has, I prefer his B1,4 honestly way harder to punish and sets him up for his next move. I do hope his Fly KB get changed too, to say twice or three times connected in one match instead of the whole "must be max distance" I think some of the KB requirements are ridiculous in this game honestly lol. I think I've gotten it like 3 times in serious matches online so far lol.

Mandolore1123

If it had range and was safe I'd use it more but the fact that is' HIGHLY punishable, doesn't juggle anymore(outside the KB exception which will almost never happen if you're facing a good player) and you have to get it twice in a row, not just twice in a match on second time hitting but twice in a row makes it less than desirable honestly. For overheads he has, I prefer his B1,4 honestly way harder to punish and sets him up for his next move. I do hope his Fly KB get changed too, to say twice or three times connected in one match instead of the whole "must be max distance" I think some of the KB requirements are ridiculous in this game honestly lol. I think I've gotten it like 3 times in serious matches online so far lol.
Every time you end a combo in B2 it’s a guess for your opponent. If your opponent eats enough low they will start blocking low and opens up the overhead. Twice in a row is a unique mindgame you can put your opponent in every time you hit them. At this point the threat of B2 is more powerful than B2 itself.

MKF30

Every time you end a combo in B2 it’s a guess for your opponent. If your opponent eats enough low they will start blocking low and opens up the overhead. Twice in a row is a unique mindgame you can put your opponent in every time you hit them. At this point the threat of B2 is more powerful than B2 itself.
Yeah but i prefer his other overhead because it gives you space and also mind games as well, I've waited a second then teleport or teleport immediately then throw them or go for another mix up, make them think about which wake up option to use especially if they try to roll past you, free grab. But I also tend to get space when I do that and start zoning with his blasts and his lightning strikes, from mid to far that move is pretty damn effective I have to say. Sometimes i like to mix b2 with b2 which throws people off as well.

Mandolore1123

Raiden’s hop3 is deceptively good. You can move back to bait them into blocking low and you hop3 which pretty much has the same range. It’s unsafe but not by a lot and it’s hard to punish at max range

Swoops

Noob
what about f11? it punishes at least kitanas ass when she decides to bounce off far away.
F11 isn't working for me. Might be due to the hitbox and the active frames not connecting with noob in time.

Honestly though, if the noob is any good at spacing it's pretty difficult if even possible at all to punish. They have to be right in your face throwing it out.

**Daily reminder that 243 and F11 are mad underrated strings

Last edited: