What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Guys is there a way to deal up-close with Sonya? Whats the counterplay to her B14 and B12? Is it all just guessing game or are there other ways to deal with her?

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Guys is there a way to deal up-close with Sonya? Whats the counterplay to her B14 and B12? Is it all just guessing game or are there other ways to deal with her?
Iirc B14 and B12 is a 2f fuzzy so online it’s a guess. B1 is a high so you can try to poke but not sure if it jails from any of her pokes. She also has a mid she can enforce so poking is dangerous. Sonya is just an all around terrible MU for Raiden. Can out-damage, out-zone, has better pressure and mixups than Raiden

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Premium Supporter
I've had better success vs Sonya with Raiden(TW) by keeping my distance and teleporting and punishing whenever I can, but she's a tough matchup for him honestly. Up close is not fair well for him at all.

Keeping distance from Sonya as Raiden is giving Sonya all the control, though. Her fireball beats Raiden's every time.
Tp punishing her fireballs is basically Raiden's only real advantage.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning

Maybe there will be something interesting.
I investigate Truth & Light variation. It's trash for sure but it's kinda interesting. There's many flaws and semi-useful stuff which I have posted on Twitter
I think the fly punish video is great. While it’s certainly situational, it is good for all the Raiden mains to keep this at the back of their head to pull out when there’s an opportunity. Cheers :)

Mel0

Noob
Truth and Light may not be useless, but its definitely not as good as the others. My combos of Jo Push seem very inconsistent midscreen
Midscreen T&L combos are stringxxbf3 f4xxdb2 (bf3 for females) you could also setup AMP rod after f4. I think this variation needs to go under the microscope. Not saying that it's the best but there has to be some dirt hidden somewhere.

P.S love your stuff dink, hope you continue the grind with raiden

Inconsistent thing. You must check the altitude of your opponent otherwise it will spark to nowhere
Early rod for this kind of setup
or late rod which counts in a combo
the second setup is something that would make TnL interesting but i gave up on it after labbing for a while because it's extremely hard or even incosistent to get. i couldnt find any reliable normal to do it from.

MKF30

Premium Supporter
Props for those still trying to find some secret tech to Truth & Light, I've noticed past month or two more people are catching onto TW's tactics, they just duck under the last hit and counter you now. So stupid, still pisses me off how trash tier NRS made this character. SMH.

ElectricHat

#TruthAndLight
Props for those still trying to find some secret tech to Truth & Light, I've noticed past month or two more people are catching onto TW's tactics, they just duck under the last hit and counter you now. So stupid, still pisses me off how trash tier NRS made this character. SMH.
Are you talking about Jo-Push? There's mid-mid on amp

MKF30

Premium Supporter
Are you talking about Jo-Push? There's mid-mid on amp
Oh I'm sorry when I said TW=Thunder Wave. First variation, I mean SC after a D3, a lot of times people would block and Raiden can poke, but SC can be ducked and easily punished. But Jo-Push for T&L I hope gets buffed or has better hit boxes or something.

MKF30

Premium Supporter
How maybe Jo Push has some weird ass trades and is easily punishable? The move is trash as is the variation overall but yeah those are some weird trades, it's like I know this game is a mess in general with shit like that but if he's already in his Jo Push animation how is he going to get fully punished mid animation? They're not like flawless blocking it even or something. Thankfully, Fujin's coming fellow Raiden mains so hopefully he'll be broke or OP and we'll have something to be happy about.

DarksydeDash

With my best, I will defeat your best.
I think NRS should consider looking at Jo Push as a move similar to Kenshi's spirit charge.

He has lost electric fly so having space control that can be hit confirmed into a combo starter would be very helpful for the variation.

You could condition the opponent of it's range and use that to set up lightning rod. Problem with that is that Lightning Rod should have these two changes IMO:

1. Lightning that the rod reflects has longer range and tracks the opponent
  2. AMP Lightning Rod lasts longer
Lastly, I hate Electric Fly's krushing blow requirement so much. I honestly wish it was similar to say Sub-Zero's 123 where it Krushing blows after certain hits in a combo. Giving Raiden that huge cash out in damage could be too much though because his damage is actually really high already.

So what about having it be a Krushing Blow if the opponent reaches the corner? I think that suites his play style rather well.

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
Ahh. I didn't think it was a trade issue, I thought it was just a giant gap. The move is -25 on block, and the amp has a startup of 16f.

Why that move costs 2 slots I'll never understand. I really hope they patch T&L. It could be a fun variation if they just tweaked some of those specials. TW and Raijin are mostly fine as is.

ElectricHat

#TruthAndLight
The weirdness is this gap is inconsistent and depends on Raiden's placement. To be more precise it depends on distance between the characters. I know that this move is very punishable and you shouldn't do this on block. I feel that there can be an OS to prevent any kind of his so called mindgames