What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Premium Supporter
Nice job @Black Chapters I'm close on the switch I need 3 more sets of 5, it's so painful.....lol. And almost there with the blood spilt. I need 4 more sets on the Xbox.

Fellow Raiden players,I need help on Upgraded/Next Gen Jacqui matchup. I consider this fighter to be absolutely broken and cancer to fight,but I still feel like I am not doing enough. Can someone give me tips on how to fight her and what variation to go for Raijin or TW? Only thing I am capable of doing is making some insane reactions with uppercut to her fullscreen jump when I fight Upgraded or to duck her dash punch. Other than that,I am completely lost.

Marlow

Premium
Premium Supporter
Fellow Raiden players,I need help on Upgraded/Next Gen Jacqui matchup. I consider this fighter to be absolutely broken and cancer to fight,but I still feel like I am not doing enough. Can someone give me tips on how to fight her and what variation to go for Raijin or TW? Only thing I am capable of doing is making some insane reactions with uppercut to her fullscreen jump when I fight Upgraded or to duck her dash punch. Other than that,I am completely lost.

I'm by no means a matchup person, but just thinking through it I'd go with Raijin. Seems like he has better anti-air potential, and quick charge/discharge could potentially help deal with her pressure. She doesn't really have much zoning to worry about, so the mobility of TW isn't as important. I haven't been able to play in a long time though, and don't have time to actually lab the matchup.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #RaidenForKP2
Discharge all day and be happy

ValeDJ

Noob
What I would love to see for T&L is for the Amp bf3 to be multi functional, so you could L2 amp for a defensive safe low that doesn't launch, or standard Amp for an unsafe overhead launcher.

Similarly, perhaps you could do the same with db4, so you could either L2 amp for a safe staff plant where Raiden teleports away from the opponent but leaves the bubble in tact, or you can just use a normal Amp for the standard staff plant.

T&L just needs something, because its never going to be used outside of just for shits and giggles.

What I would love to see for T&L is for the Amp bf3 to be multi functional, so you could L2 amp for a defensive safe low that doesn't launch, or standard Amp for an unsafe overhead launcher.

Similarly, perhaps you could do the same with db4, so you could either L2 amp for a safe staff plant where Raiden teleports away from the opponent but leaves the bubble in tact, or you can just use a normal Amp for the standard staff plant.

T&L just needs something, because its never going to be used outside of just for shits and giggles.
Those are interesting ideas, though I would just include a directional input with the amp to change it, like Shao Kahn's shoulder.

What I think T&L needs (other than a complete redesign) is to remove the duration of the rod plant and let players use the recall input to call the staff back to Raiden. The input already exists, but the duration of the move is already too short to do anything useful.
The drawback here is that Raiden would only be able to call the staff back manually outside of getting hit with FBs or KBs, which requires animation frames instead of allowing the staff to return on its own.

That said, I believe this change would actually allow v3 to do what seems like its intended purpose; keep away and setup.

I agree Jo Push needs significant changes as it already wasn't worth its 2 slots before getting nerfed and sure doesn't even come close to that value now. Let people appear close or far after amping on the other side, let people spend meter to make the staff plant itself into the ground as an alternate amp or something during its path.
Make it 1-slot. Add Lightning Storm to the variation (floating stance).

Let Lightning Storm's downward bolt strike interact with rod. There's plenty of cool ways to make these variation moves work.

Last edited:

DixieFlatline78

My God is the Sun
How to genrally counter Kung Laos D3 mashing? For example D3 D3 F13 from him. Is there any reliable way of doing it?
Block and mash your counterpoke sooner. You have a 13 frame window to hit him with your next poke if he D3s, 15 if he tries F1. Take it to training mode and get the timing down. It's harder to do online and WiFi KL players will act like hot shit because their broke as internet won the game for them

Block and mash your counterpoke sooner. You have a 13 frame window to hit him with your next poke if he D3s, 15 if he tries F1. Take it to training mode and get the timing down. It's harder to do online and WiFi KL players will act like hot shit because their broke as internet won the game for them
If he tries F1 after D3 its 15 frame window,right? Am I gathering correctly?

You can also B12 into full combo players that like to press on block. Works wonders against mashers
Kung Lao mashed me to death D3 D3 into F13 so I took it to the lab and came to this realization as well. Its very good advice,I just need to adapt to the fact that I have to press B1 instantly,blockstun can be sort of confusing.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Kung Lao mashed me to death D3 D3 into F13 so I took it to the lab and came to this realization as well. Its very good advice,I just need to adapt to the fact that I have to press B1 instantly,blockstun can be sort of confusing.
Yeah. Variable block stun among moves is annoying, but Raiden is fortunate to have 2 11f mids to shove down their throat. You get the best of both worlds in Raijin. If they block it you reset neutral and if you hit them you hit confirm into 32%. Now Lao has to work his way in again and you can sit back and zone. Same thing with TW but you're more unsafe because you need to use fly cancels.