What's new

Match-up Discussion Lobo Matchup Discussion 2014

Lobo seems a lot like Oni from SSFIV, not a single advantaged match-up but @Cage Redfield could you care to elaborate on how Deathstroke is a 5-5? His zoning against Lobo is an insane pain in the ass. And any good DS player will wake-up sword spin which (correct me if I'm wrong) is safe on block.
Well, it was once believed that Lobo actually won this matchup since he out-damage's Deathstroke in both the zoning and combo department and because we could punish non-mb anything/go through it, but a lot of deathstroke's disagreed with that, so I changed it to 5-5. Also, Sword Spin may be safe on block, but it's VERY easy to bait it out with a backdash and whiff punish it, but of course, there's a mind game behind that n stuff. Lobo has it pretty easy in this match-up.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Well, it was once believed that Lobo actually won this matchup since he out-damage's Deathstroke in both the zoning and combo department and because we could punish non-mb anything/go through it, but a lot of deathstroke's disagreed with that, so I changed it to 5-5. Also, Sword Spin may be safe on block, but it's VERY easy to bait it out with a backdash and whiff punish it, but of course, there's a mind game behind that n stuff. Lobo has it pretty easy in this match-up.
I was watching some stuff under Media last night and actually noticed you back dashed against a DS player quite a lot actually.

Yoaks

A spaceman
What do you guys feel how the Harley matchup goes? From my exp. she can't be annoying full screen... cause of SHOTGUNS!!!! I actually love this mu cause alot of Harley's I play, feel like they can zone but they can't unless they want to lose. But she beats Lobo up close cause her normals are better. On knockdown tho I feel are oki is still solid even with her wakeup. just start baiting her wakeup and Jump back J2 and full combo punish. I think Harley and Lobo MU is 5-5 slightly in her advantage cause she can pressure us in the corner.

Any opinion on the Lobo vs GA MU? I think it's safe to say its 6-4 since GA can't play keep away from us long. And we're better up close than he is. GA can sometimes can get away with the BF3 check, but we are still in a favorable position to load trait and whatnot. We stuff his stinger on wake up with our hook charge, then his wake ups are rather unsafe. We also out damage him badly.

Our shotgun > his Arrows.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Any opinion on the Lobo vs GA MU? I think it's safe to say its 6-4 since GA can't play keep away from us long. And we're better up close than he is. GA can sometimes can get away with the BF3 check, but we are still in a favorable position to load trait and whatnot. We stuff his stinger on wake up with our hook charge, then his wake ups are rather unsafe. We also out damage him badly.

Our shotgun > his Arrows.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its in our favor, a good GA player may disagree but allow me to make my points.

As you said most GA's use that move on Wake-up that shoots the arrows and makes them go back. This move is easy to bait an respond with a hook charge, low space hook, ETC. and if they don't wake-up we can just go for a meaty toss.

The only real problem I have with this MU is the ice arrows.

IMHO I think we got this 6-4

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Zatanna vs Lobo has to single handily be the most annoying match-up I've ever played. Her constant teleporting and zoning is unbelievable, it's worse than DS and GL

I really don't feel that MMH vs Lobo is bad. Seems pretty even, since his set ups aren't as effective due to our armor. And if you learn the animations of attacks, it's more manageable. Plus, I think the OH teleport can get punished big time with us. Iirc, his wake ups are stuff able. But MMH is always dangerous if you don't know the MU.

I would test what punishes it, but I don't own MMH, can someone help me out on that?

With all that being said, I see it loosely being 5-5. Maybe 6-4 Lobo.

@EMPEROR_JUPITER care to chime in, and theory fight with us?

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
I really don't feel that MMH vs Lobo is bad. Seems pretty even, since his set ups aren't as effective due to our armor. And if you learn the animations of attacks, it's more manageable. Plus, I think the OH teleport can get punished big time with us. Iirc, his wake ups are stuff able. But MMH is always dangerous if you don't know the MU.

I would test what punishes it, but I don't own MMH, can someone help me out on that?

With all that being said, I see it loosely being 5-5. Maybe 6-4 Lobo.

@EMPEROR_JUPITER care to chime in, and theory fight with us?
ive only played 1 good lobo and it was reno racks. and im pretty sure he just uses him for fun. but how can he deal with the teleport?

ive only played 1 good lobo and it was reno racks. and im pretty sure he just uses him for fun. but how can he deal with the teleport?
I'm not 100% on it, but I think we get 21, take a risk, and dash with the correct read and 113. Or take the simplistic approach and MB B3 into an oki situation. That's speaking for the overhead one. It's as much as a guess for me, as it is for you.

If we seriously get 21, or standing 3, it's a 50/50 guess on you to predict Hook charge, and low space hook. Again, I'm not sure because I'm just theory fighting and I don't own the character.

How do you feel on the MU, and do you feel like playing it any time soon?

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
I'm not 100% on it, but I think we get 21, take a risk, and dash with the correct read and 113. Or take the simplistic approach and MB B3 into an oki situation. That's speaking for the overhead one. It's as much as a guess for me, as it is for you.

If we seriously get 21, or standing 3, it's a 50/50 guess on you to predict Hook charge, and low space hook. Again, I'm not sure because I'm just theory fighting and I don't own the character.

How do you feel on the MU, and do you feel like playing it any time soon?
sure send me an add on xbox. im busy today but ill be on some time tomorrow. and yeah if u block it on the last second(reactable) its like -15 meaning u can probably stand 3 it.

sure send me an add on xbox. im busy today but ill be on some time tomorrow. and yeah if u block it on the last second(reactable) its like -15 meaning u can probably stand 3 it.
If only I had an Xbox man, I have the poop PS3. It's fine though.

I'll at least see if I can go down to the break sometime soon.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
Im sorry guys but I just have to bring this up again, does anyone else feel like the Zatanna MU is simply horrifying? I played Mr_Mileena last night and his Zatanna destroyed my Lobo. I wasn't able to try oki options I wasn't even able to move. Basically any free chance I had to attempt something resulted in a combo or vortex. And if I played it safe, I ended up absorbing tons of chip damage from her rings and the other move IDK what it's called. I honestly couldn't even wake-up attack cause she teleports away from me insanely quick. I feel like its seriously 8-2 for her this MU seems way to one sided.

Seems to me at most a 4-6, possibly a 5-5 too. It's more of Mr. Mileena having amazing reads, and you not exploring all your options. Make her fear your shotgun, and I always NJ when expecting a teleport.

Online it will always seem worse, she's way better online.

FGC-Oni

Ascended One
Seems to me at most a 4-6, possibly a 5-5 too. It's more of Mr. Mileena having amazing reads, and you not exploring all your options. Make her fear your shotgun, and I always NJ when expecting a teleport.

Online it will always seem worse, she's way better online.
I couldn't do a single combo, never in my entire injustice career have I been shutdown that badly.

Her rings are faster than my gun.

You use shotgun after trance, since hat toss gives a guaranteed trance. If you're full screen, you have to dash up.

I understand that it's harder to react online, but lobo doesn't have to use combos for damage :p.

Lobo doesn't have anything that out-right punishes OH tele like Superman F2. He can only try mbb3-ing on reaction or mixing up Martian by doing either: Hook Charge MB, Czar Toss, or B1 after blocking it. Also, if you're saying to Hook Charge MB out of Martian's hard knockdown setups, that isn't going to work out well. You're either going to get hit before the MB comes out or send your self full screen and either get punished by tk normal teleport if he's super on point or be forced to deal with Martian's bullshit in the neutral again (unless you have meter, then you could pretty much plow through anything he tosses at you). I haven't played a real Martian main yet, so I don't really know the specifics of the matchup, but it doesn't seem as bad as, say, GL.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
What's yours guys opinion on how too fight Grundy?
Traited Midshots from just outside Corpse Walk keep him kinda honest. Reload after blocking Swamp Hands. If he's trying to rush down, 3 to Space Hook keeps him at bay. b+2 as late as possible ignores WC grab animation. I backdash a lot on Grundy and if I think he's going to WC, I jump forward with an "instant" j2. I kick him in the head and he walks under me.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Traited Midshots from just outside Corpse Walk keep him kinda honest. Reload after blocking Swamp Hands. If he's trying to rush down, 3 to Space Hook keeps him at bay. b+2 as late as possible ignores WC grab animation. I backdash a lot on Grundy and if I think he's going to WC, I jump forward with an "instant" j2. I kick him in the head and he walks under me.
ty

I backdash a lot on Grundy and if I think he's going to WC, I jump forward with an "instant" j2. I kick him in the head and he walks under me.
....Can't he just cancel that and swat you out of the sky with D2 into a full combo into a completely guaranteed reset or a 5 frame AA throw before you land?

Lobo has a super floaty jump thats almost on par with Dhalsim's jumps. Doing an instant jump 2 against a move that has armor and can be canceled just has to lead to getting anti-aired or getting trip-guarded at the very least, and both those options lead to guaranteed resets that'll also lower your damage output/up his damage/make chipping him out with trait shells impossible. I'd rather stick with doing throw-immune stuff like B2U1 or B12. At least I have a chance of mixing up B2U1 xx whatever on block or being plus on block if he cancels WC.