What's new

Match-up Discussion Lobo Matchup Discussion 2014

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
What are your thoughts on the GL matchup? From what I've played it feels pretty even, a lot of the shit GL does on other characters is mitigated when you have trait in this matchup, if he whiffs a standing rocket, you get a free punish, and if he tries air rocket,lift or machine gun, you blow that up. Up close he ends all his B13 blockstrings in frame disadvantage unless he wants to MB the machine gun. A non MB Machine Gun B13 is a free standing 3 for you since its -7. If he tries to do F3 on wakeup, you can antiair grab him.

It feels like it could be even, or slight GL advantage, GL has to be on point, or he gets blown up easily.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Minigun is -5: unpunishable. Lift is -26. Easily punishable. How exactly do you punish air rocket, though?

i'd assume he's punishing air rockets with trait shots. Which can work, but I really don't like the idea of wasting a shot like that in this match-up. I'd use trait shells to establish a life lead so his turtle game won't mean much. I'd rather have a 60% life lead and block 1-2% chip damage projectiles for using my trait than using my trait to punish the 1-2% projectiles.

I personally feel that GL is still a 4-6. His new trait lift vortex, despite it not doing much damage per loop, pretty much shits on your wake-up options, using mini-gun in the mid screen game really limits your options and pushes you away from him, and his turtle game is tough to deal with. On the other hand, once GL gets knocked down, he's kinda fucked. But the main problem in this match-up is getting to him and knocking him down to begin with. Since the patch, it's gotten a little easier but it's still a toughie imo.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Even then, you have to respect his wake up Lantern Might. Any of Lobo's knockdown options don't allow him to do much inside of LM's 10 frame start up. It will catch anything we try to do. We have to respect (block) the LM, then punish accordingly. Once they stop LM waking up, we can bully them with our oki.

Even then, you have to respect his wake up Lantern Might. Any of Lobo's knockdown options don't allow him to do much inside of LM's 10 frame start up. It will catch anything we try to do. We have to respect (block) the LM, then punish accordingly. Once they stop LM waking up, we can bully them with our oki.

Well, it's not like we can't do a single thing about the move. We at least have the option of MBB3/F3-ing him on his knockdown. And MBB3 is +12 on block, which means that if you do it point blank, you get a standing 2 check, and standing 2 is sex on ice considering how strong of a mix-up follows from it. The only downside to this is that it'll eat up a trait shell and a bar, and Lobo kinda struggles with loading up trait safely with things like MB Oa's Rocket leading to a full combo if you're at the correct spacing and getting in to build meter in this match-up.

Any saying on the Flash MU? Nuclear shells are required and you have to make solid reads to keep him out. Loading shells are risky due to Flashes charge, so load up with caution. Flash has the mobility advantage. If he messes up on his charge MB, you can duck the follow up and hit him with B12 or D2 (Don't remember if you can B12~MBB3. Need to test that). If flash has you in the corner you can JB1 for a combo or push block. This is also read dependent so don't rely on it too much.

If you're on point with your nuke shells I see this as a 5-5 or maybe in Lobo's favor. If you let Flash get momentum and do his set ups on you, you will have a hard time.

Any saying on the Flash MU? Nuclear shells are required and you have to make solid reads to keep him out. Loading shells are risky due to Flashes charge, so load up with caution. Flash has the mobility advantage. If he messes up on his charge MB, you can duck the follow up and hit him with B12 or D2 (Don't remember if you can B12~MBB3. Need to test that). If flash has you in the corner you can JB1 for a combo or push block. This is also read dependent so don't rely on it too much.

If you're on point with your nuke shells I see this as a 5-5 or maybe in Lobo's favor. If you let Flash get momentum and do his set ups on you, you will have a hard time.

If you duck MB charge, can't you standing 1 punish him? And loading trait in this match is a bitch, you literally can only load it mid-combo, otherwise you're getting charge'd for a full combo. I personally hate fighting against the flash with any character since he's a fucking pain in the ass, so I might be a little biased when I say the matchup could be in his favor.

Also, regarding your corner situation, what would flash be doing to allow you to jump back 1? If you mean just jumping when he has you cornered, that sounds like a horrible idea considering he has a 50% air to air combo (unless it doesn't work in the corner, not sure).

You can hit flash out of or trade with JB1 against his Uppercut, Charge, D1, and B2.
JB attacks has priority over Flash's anti-air. For flash to beat this he either dashes out, or walks forward.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I randomly backdash or neutral jump on Flash when I see he's trying to get into his overhead range. I backdash, then 3 to whatever chain special. neutral jump to 1,2, or 2,1, pump shot. Nuked mid shots keep him honest from mid range on out. Learn to punish his charge on block.

So really, you have to out footsie flash, which is possible. I do like that you can get a B2U1 punish if he botches charge MB. He eats half of his health and more.

Do you guys still say 4-6?

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
I think its 6-4 Flash in general, only because Flash can go autopilot a lot more than Lobo, but it's 5-5 at high level play.

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
flashs regular charge can be punished with 113 full combo. if you guy are having trouble doing it, it may be the spacing. i figured out if you end combos with hook charge to get the czarnian setup and you blocked a wake up charge he will be too far and the 1 will wiff. so what works s if you think he will wake up then dash once after the hook charge and duck block. this closes tht gap so your standing 1 will punish his headbutt also duck so you can do the same to the MB one.

i would say either end your combos in trait or space hook to get him full screen only end in charge if you want to risk the czar step up on his wake up bit keep him out.
i know i didnt take this advice this weekend i had too much stuff in my head.

@Blind_Man After our session, I think I was approaching the Raven MU wrong with going on full oki. Plus, I was doing a bad job at that too. Any insight? Also, does lobo seriously blow up Ravens DB2 with a grab, or was that just due to the online lag?

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
@Blind_Man After our session, I think I was approaching the Raven MU wrong with going on full oki. Plus, I was doing a bad job at that too. Any insight? Also, does lobo seriously blow up Ravens DB2 with a grab, or was that just due to the online lag?
You can stuff her wake ups because they're pretty stuffable, except lift, and once i respect that you can go for other mix ups and stuffs. If I respect hook charge or whatever after lift on block you can go for a throw.

You can stuff her wake ups because they're pretty stuffable, except lift, and once i respect that you can go for other mix ups and stuffs. If I respect hook charge or whatever after lift on block you can go for a throw.
So the oki situation is based on a read on both characters but more favorable to Lobo? And Raven definitely wins in the standing game with frame traps, but can be handled with nuke shells. She also has to respect nuke shots so she's not using trait often. I see this MU as a 5-5 even if my play was pretty bad.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
So the oki situation is based on a read on both characters but more favorable to Lobo? And Raven definitely wins in the standing game with frame traps, but can be handled with nuke shells. She also has to respect nuke shots so she's not using trait often. I see this MU as a 5-5 even if my play was pretty bad.
You can stuff her wake ups with pretty much whatever as long as you time it right. Like 21, it's just a bitch to do online so whatever. Yeah I agree it's probably 5-5 but I'm not 100% sure.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Lobo seems a lot like Oni from SSFIV, not a single advantaged match-up but @Cage Redfield could you care to elaborate on how Deathstroke is a 5-5? His zoning against Lobo is an insane pain in the ass. And any good DS player will wake-up sword spin which (correct me if I'm wrong) is safe on block.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Lobo seems a lot like Oni from SSFIV, not a single advantaged match-up but @Cage Redfield could you care to elaborate on how Deathstroke is a 5-5? His zoning against Lobo is an insane pain in the ass. And any good DS player will wake-up sword spin which (correct me if I'm wrong) is safe on block.
Since when does Oni not win a single matchup?