What's new

Liu Kang Kombo Thread

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Great guide but most Lui Kang players just like to use the 3 hit combo that starts with a low hit and rinse repeat. So much potential thrown out the window. It saddens me.

Great guide i'v been working on it all morning. Quick question, does anyone know of any move Liu Kang can do on wake up? I'v tried a couple of things but they never worked. I'ts probably something obvious lol. Thx

KangDo

Noob
EX fireball only does more damage than a regular fireball. It doesn't do anything different from a regular fireball.

Flying Kick and Low Fireball are the closest things you have for wakeup but both are rather poor options because they're easy to bait and punish (and I could've sworn I've gotten stuffed a few times). I still use Flying Kick a little too much and it gets me killed more often than not.

Liu's wakeup options overall are pretty bad. It's probably his biggest weakness. It's usually best just to block and accept the pressure, hoping that you make up for it when you get the opportunity.

Noticed ATL Redd using this combo at CEO:

:l:fk:fp:bp dash, :l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick

You get 34% from this. Compared to the standard four iterations of :l:fk:fp:bp, Redd's combo deals an extra 1% and you build some meter because you used a special move. Not a huge difference between the two, but what, Redd's combo is objectively better and it's not like it's prohibitively difficult to do. The only reason I could see using four :l:fk:fp:bp instead is because if you carry them to the corner with that combo you get a fifth :l:fk:fp:bp. But if that's not the case you may as well get the extra 1%.

KangDo

Noob
Noticed ATL Redd using this combo at CEO:

:l:fk:fp:bp dash, :l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick

You get 34% from this. Compared to the standard four iterations of :l:fk:fp:bp, Redd's combo deals an extra 1% and you build some meter because you used a special move. Not a huge difference between the two, but what, Redd's combo is objectively better and it's not like it's prohibitively difficult to do. The only reason I could see using four :l:fk:fp:bp instead is because if you carry them to the corner with that combo you get a fifth :l:fk:fp:bp. But if that's not the case you may as well get the extra 1%.
Funny that he was doing that. I have actually been using that combo for a while even before the damage nerf. It used to do the exact same damage as 4 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp (38% pre-nerf) but I did it because it was a more fun combo without being too difficult. Now it's actually the better option.

You can also do 3 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp into the :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick or 3 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp into :l:fk:fp xx Bicycle Kick but my execution is a little poor and I'm not as consistent with those. If you're more confident with your execution, you can go for those for the best possible damage options.

The only time I go for 4 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp is if I know they're close enough to the corner that I'll carry them there and get a 5th rep.

Great thread; my BnBs are:

:l:fk:fp:bp dash, :l:fk:fp:bp dash, :l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick 37% (JP start 40%)

:bp:fp:fk dash, :l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick 36% (JP start 39%)

Both combos take a bit of getting used to, but you can get them consistently with practice. The second one is the more difficult of the two, in my opinon.

Very similar to the above combos coming out of Dragon Stance is:

Dragon Stance :fp Dragon Stance :fp dash, :l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick 38%

The X-Ray combo I use (not often, but):

:l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:bp:bk xx :x step forward :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick 45% (JP start 48%)

I think you can get this to connect, but my timing/patience isn't good enough:

:l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:bp:bk xx :x dash, :l:fk:fp:bp dash, :r:fp:bp xx Bicycle Kick

I think it would be somewhere around 46-47% and 50% with JP start.

You can also do 3 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp into the :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick or 3 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp into :l:fk:fp xx Bicycle Kick but my execution is a little poor and I'm not as consistent with those. If you're more confident with your execution, you can go for those for the best possible damage options.
Oh wow, you're right. That gets you like 37% meterless midscreen. Timing really is strict on it, though. Given that it's only 3% more damage and much easier to drop I'm not sure I'd try it in a real match, but it's good to know you can do it.

This is a great thread. I just wanted to add that you can do b3,1,2, njp, then take a step back (basically half dash backwards), 3, x-ray (in corner)...after that I usually add a few reps (2 or 3 not sure) of b3,1,2 and it does pretty good damage (not sure exactly how much but maybe 48-50). Obviously b3, x-ray is better in terms of damage but I find that this is a better option because the opponent can block your b3, x-ray so at least this way you know that you can guarantee it in the corner. I also do b3,1,2, njp, then add 3 reps of b3,1,2 and end with a b3, low fire ball to get 41% meterless in the corner. It might be a bit hard at first to hit the njp but it becomes second nature pretty quicly.

iWumbo

Noob
Oh wow, you're right. That gets you like 37% meterless midscreen. Timing really is strict on it, though. Given that it's only 3% more damage and much easier to drop I'm not sure I'd try it in a real match, but it's good to know you can do it.
3 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp into :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick does 40% midscreen. If you have trouble linking the Bike Kick, try doing the Flying Kick instead, which nets you 38% midscreen.
The Bike Kick one is the highest dmg midscreen combo I've been able to come up with, and it's pretty easy after about a day's worth or practice in the lab.

3 reps of :l:fk:fp:bp into :r:bp:bk xx Bicycle Kick does 40% midscreen. If you have trouble linking the Bike Kick, try doing the Flying Kick instead, which nets you 38% midscreen.
The Bike Kick one is the highest dmg midscreen combo I've been able to come up with, and it's pretty easy after about a day's worth or practice in the lab.
Thanks. I was able to get this after a little practice. Seems like the trick is to get them high enough with the first two juggles. It's possible to hit the second and/or third rep of :l:fk:fp:bp in a way that makes the :r:bp:bk impossible to hit. Got to do those two iterations of :l:fk:fp:bp as early as possible. Once I realized that it was easy.

iWumbo

Noob
Thanks. I was able to get this after a little practice. Seems like the trick is to get them high enough with the first two juggles. It's possible to hit the second and/or third rep of :l:fk:fp:bp in a way that makes the :r:bp:bk impossible to hit. Got to do those two iterations of :l:fk:fp:bp as early as possible. Once I realized that it was easy.
Yep, i noticed that too, the ability to link the ending depends entirely on how u do the first 2 reps.
And I just noticed I made a mistake, I forgot to mention that you need to start with a JiP in order to get 40%. Without it, I believe its 37%, like you said.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
corner combos you can do b,321 nj 2 dragon stance 1 jf 4 ex fireball or regular and 3 reps of b,321 43%+ or more depends on how well ur timing is after each string...

also if you guys are looking for a non break combo after xray, so that the opponent doesnt break the combos after the x ray.... you can do b,321 f,24 xray, instant air firebal into flying kick...

ecksyz

speed force.
corner combos you can do b,312 nj 2 dragon stance 1 jf 4 ex fireball or regular and 3 reps of b,312 43%+ or more depends on how well ur timing is after each string...
this is essentially what i've been using for my corner bnb.

fj.:fp/:bp, :l:fk:fp:bp + j.:fp/:bp + dragon stance :fp, :l:fk:fp:bp x 3, :l:fk:fp. it does 44%

but i'm not sure, i might like yours better. it seems to ask a bit more in execution (tougher to land the subsequent reps of :l:fk:fp:bp after the j. :fk/:bk fireball) than mine, but after a few tries i managed to eke out 45%, not to mention the tiny bit of meter building it does. it isn't much of a difference, but i'm not usually one to go for a lower damaging combo just because it's easier. i'm gonna experiment a bit and see what i think a little bit later, maybe try to vary it somewhat.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Yea if 1 or 2 is always going to increase DMG
input but not every will get but jumping 2

ecksyz

speed force.
yeah my bad. without the j.1/2 starter my combo does 41%. with yours i managed to do 42%, though, with some stricter timing. most of the time i don't land the last two hits with yours and wind up doing only 40%, but that's probably a matter of just having to practice on my part.

iWumbo

Noob
Yea I tried XBlades' method with the jumping 4 into fireball, and i managed to get 43%, because I was doing the last :l:fk:fp:bp rep, and I noticed the :bp wasn't going to land, so instead I finished with a Low Fireball, and that got me to 43%.
So basically the ending of the combo looks like :l:fk:fp xx :l:r:fk

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
If you start it with :l:fk:fp:bp instead of :bp:fp:fk, you'll get more damage. Not sure how much, but it will be more.
Yes, I know. Right now I'm sharing the earliest combos I did back in April while gradually working my way towards my recent ones. You'll see them soon.

In the meantime, here's another Liu Kang combo:

Liu Kang's 52% Midscreen Combo with X-ray included:

iWumbo

Noob
Yes, I know. Right now I'm sharing the earliest combos I did back in April while gradually working my way towards my recent ones. You'll see them soon.

In the meantime, here's another Liu Kang combo:

Liu Kang's 52% Midscreen Combo with X-ray included:

Good stuff. I'm on vacation at the moment, so i can't test it, but is there anything else besides the :fp:bp:l:fp after the x-ray? I know that 3-hit combo is relatively weak so there might be a more damaging option to put between the x-ray and the Bike Kick

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Good stuff. I'm on vacation at the moment, so i can't test it, but is there anything else besides the :fp:bp:l:fp after the x-ray? I know that 3-hit combo is relatively weak so there might be a more damaging option to put between the x-ray and the Bike Kick
As a matter of fact...yes, there is! Check these next two clips out:

Liu Kang's 47% Midscreen Combo with one Enhance Bar used:

Liu Kang's 54% Midscreen Combo with X-ray included: