What's new

General/Other - Dualist Liu Kang: Dualist General Discussion

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
To be honest it was never a very good tool, people just didn't exploit it. Although you can definitely sneak in f2 or f23 ex dark orb, just don't rely on it.
It was exploitable because when people see liu Kang they expect F213 into something because the block stun allows that kind of pressure. So it's very easy to sneak that unsafe ex orb in every once in a while. Thats the best thing about fighting game to me. Conditioning and then exploiting what you just conditioned lol

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
It was exploitable because when people see liu Kang they expect F213 into something because the block stun allows that kind of pressure. So it's very easy to sneak that unsafe ex orb in every once in a while. Thats the best thing about fighting game to me. Conditioning and then exploiting what you just conditioned lol
Yeah you could sneak it in, but this whole mindless looping of f213 SS f213 ex orb in the corner was never fully legit when it came to the dark orb. Even more so now, you have to be confident in the read that they aren't going to expect the dark orb, or else you're getting punished for it.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Is there any reason to pick him up now? I was really interested in the variation right from the start, but seeing how bad it is turned me down really quick.
He's probably the same as he was before or barely better. The patch toned down his pressure but made it easier for him to convert off of his strings for higher damage with Stance switches.

HateMe!

Noob
He's probably the same as he was before or barely better. The patch toned down his pressure but made it easier for him to convert off of his strings for higher damage with Stance switches.
From what I've seen/read, he's not about damage, but stance switch pressure/mindgames/orb setups, right? I hoped the buff will make him viable, that's disappointing...

Mpizz10

Liu Kang and The Flash mains
From what I've seen/read, he's not about damage, but stance switch pressure/mindgames/orb setups, right? I hoped the buff will make him viable, that's disappointing...
Im having some pretty good results with him. The stance switch made it a lot easier for comboing I love ending in hard knock downs then run up with the b12 ss into combo beating their armor. When they see you sprinting towards them on the ground they always armor lol

Im having some pretty good results with him. The stance switch made it a lot easier for comboing I love ending in hard knock downs then run up with the b12 ss into combo beating their armor. When they see you sprinting towards them on the ground they always armor lol
this is just a gimmick, b12 ss is punishable, you are abusing it cause people don't know the character

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
Yeah you could sneak it in, but this whole mindless looping of f213 SS f213 ex orb in the corner was never fully legit when it came to the dark orb. Even more so now, you have to be confident in the read that they aren't going to expect the dark orb, or else you're getting punished for it.
True

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
I haven't played in a while. I think I'll get on and play today assuming my mk will let me play online. People don't understand that dualist has some stuff. Dualist community we have to let them know lol

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
i cant find anything thats as useful as f213 ss pressure was. the only thing people online aren't punishing is f4 ss, i just get poked out of everything else. did you guys find a proper replacement yet?

i cant find anything thats as useful as f213 ss pressure was. the only thing people online aren't punishing is f4 ss, i just get poked out of everything else. did you guys find a proper replacement yet?
Bait their poke and punish. We're gonna have to play that mk9 type of game

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
f4 SS is hella fast though. And f213 SS still works just fine, I don't get what all the complaining is about, no one can poke you out of your mids afterwards if you're on point.

f4 SS is hella fast though. And f213 SS still works just fine, I don't get what all the complaining is about, no one can poke you out of your mids afterwards if you're on point.
Try kotal's down 4. Try to be onpoint with it, its kinda hard but keep on trying.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Try kotal's down 4. Try to be onpoint with it, its kinda hard but keep on trying.
Did that work before? Because it has a low as profile. And are you using b12?

Regardless of whether it works or not, most people can't poke. Some can, but that's just part of playing this variation. You can always cross him up if you think he's going to do that.

Did that work before? Because it has a low as profile. And are you using b12?

Regardless of whether it works or not, most people can't poke. Some can, but that's just part of playing this variation. You can always cross him up if you think he's going to do that.
He couldn't poke before. Both b12 and f213. I still think the variation has good pressure and I believe it's only kotal that can do that. But I wouldn't choose the pressure over the old Dualist. Atleast we got something to work with.

Ok here's the frame data.
S1xxSs=-8
S11xxSs=-8
S112xxSs=0 to +1
S113xxSS=-14 or higher
B12xxSs=-6 to -9
F12xxSs=-6 to -9
F21xxSs=-6 to -10
F213xxSs=+4
F21U4XxSs=-10
B34xxSs= 0 to +1
B34 canceling the second kick into SS=-1
S44xxSs=0 to +1
F4(Single hit) SS=-6
F4(Two hits) SS= -6
F44ss=-1

Lone

KHAOTIC
The problem with all this talk of playing him like Kabal in MK9 is that, for one, you aren't going to be reliably mixing in back dashes to further punish what they do. That, and Kabal had his zoning. Then there is the prevalence of all the armor in the game.

To me, it's like Dualist's option aren't as good, you wait for a poke then they might as well just do a full string or 50/50. That's what happens when I play vs good players, but I like the idea of the variation, it's what attracted me to Liu when the trailer dropped.

Last edited:
F21ss into F4~3 frame link, meaning f21 SS combos into anything lower than/equal to 12 frames

112ss combos with anything lower/equal to 13 frames

F44ss doesn't combo into anything

S111 doesn't combo into anything

B34 canceling SS into second kick combos into anything lower than or equal to 10 frames

S3 combos into anything equal to or lower than 10 frames

B12 combos into anything equal to or lower than 12-13 frames ish .

Hardest one frame link :F21xxSs into D3

kaseyk

Noob
Let's just stop the liu kang kabal comparison right now it is non existent outside of execution .
right now this dumbed down version of dualist is strongest variation so basically us liu mains are boned . Liu was already easy as hell to block so add in the extra bs nerfs and other character buffs we have many more losing mu's so disappointed in mkx right now ... I'm a character loyalist so this shit hits me hard , way more emo then @FOREVER EL1TE was lol so sick of doing 10x the work to win in abunch of mu's i don't have it in me to do 20x the work

Let's just stop the liu kang kabal comparison right now it is non existent outside of execution .
right now this dumbed down version of dualist is strongest variation so basically us liu mains are boned . Liu was already easy as hell to block so add in the extra bs nerfs and other character buffs we have many more losing mu's so disappointed in mkx right now ... I'm a character loyalist so this shit hits me hard , way more emo then @FOREVER EL1TE was lol so sick of doing 10x the work to win in abunch of mu's i don't have it in me to do 20x the work
you think this is the strongest version of liu kang? I honestly think it is a bad dragon fire but way more funier, but nrs don't know what to do wtih any liu kang specially with dualist

p.s. zyphox was supposed to illuminate in a few weeks to how to play LK, i really hope he does

edit. letters

Last edited: