What's new

Liu Kang Discussion Thread

Ok so lately I’ve just been pushing through being horrible with Liu Kang and i think I’m starting to get a considerably better feel of how to play this character. I’m starting to overthink/think about my every move a lot less during a match and letting my muscle memory and what I’ve practiced take over. Been losing a lot less which has helped my sanity.

Quick and specific matchup question though.

As a LK player how do you deal with Sub Zero (dead of winter)? This is the one matchup I still struggle with immensely. Any tips?

Also secondary to that, any advice on the Jax and Jacqui matchup? Two of the worst offenders of it feels like my opponent can press buttons and fish for hits the whole match in neutral and I can’t press a thing on block. Although I’m starting to catch onto Jax. I know Jacqui’s multi kick special is punishable but that little Thai plum she uses confuses me. Is it a grab? Can it be blocked? Also that dang Superman punch she uses to get in can’t be safe can it?

And ONE last thing for now but is there a way to punish D2’s on block? I feel like the pushback is too far for me to get anything and my opponent can just throw them out there whenever they like.
EDIT:

Actually one more thing. If I block my opponent’s D1 can I safely follow up with f34 or only D1 back?

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Ok so lately I’ve just been pushing through being horrible with Liu Kang and i think I’m starting to get a considerably better feel of how to play this character. I’m starting to overthink/think about my every move a lot less during a match and letting my muscle memory and what I’ve practiced take over. Been losing a lot less which has helped my sanity.

Quick and specific matchup question though.

As a LK player how do you deal with Sub Zero (dead of winter)? This is the one matchup I still struggle with immensely. Any tips?

Also secondary to that, any advice on the Jax and Jacqui matchup? Two of the worst offenders of it feels like my opponent can press buttons and fish for hits the whole match in neutral and I can’t press a thing on block. Although I’m starting to catch onto Jax. I know Jacqui’s multi kick special is punishable but that little Thai plum she uses confuses me. Is it a grab? Can it be blocked? Also that dang Superman punch she uses to get in can’t be safe can it?

And ONE last thing for now but is there a way to punish D2’s on block? I feel like the pushback is too far for me to get anything and my opponent can just throw them out there whenever they like.
EDIT:

Actually one more thing. If I block my opponent’s D1 can I safely follow up with f34 or only D1 back?
You can f34 and it’ll bet D1 mash. As for Sub force him into prolonged periods of neutral. Whiff punish his attempts to attack you. Try to avoid f34/ U3 situations I find the risk it’s not worth the reward. Save f34U3 for a punish., not as a pressure tool. Use F34 low fireball sparingly, mix between just f3 and F34. Throw fireballs sparingly you mostly just want to make him cone off the meter.

Ok so what should I be looking for in neutral as Liu Kang? What are his better options for whiff punishing? I feel like when I use f34 to whiff punish I STILL get caught by whatever string they’re trying to whiff and although I haven’t really tried to apply it B213 Barely advances

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
ITs going to be nerfed. Your one button character doesn’t require any execution. You can do it off of a jump in for a frame trap even. It’s not staying 9 frames little guy.
And he proves his idiocy. I guess you don't even realize all jump ins jail into all normals, huh? If you block a Jade jump in 2, it guarantees her f21 which has a 28 frame startup. Jump ins even jail into highs. Johnny's jump in 2 jails into his f3 which is 14 frames. Jump kicks also jail into normals. F4 startup has nothing to do with this.

Every option Liu Kang has on his F4 series is unsafe and it's easily outspaced on top of all of that. I'm sure they will nerf him with all those Liu Kang's winning tournaments... Wait....
:DOGE

I don't usually say this, but for you I'll make an exception:

Git. Gud.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Ive been seeing videos of ppl canceling the F3 starter string into the stance but for the life of me I can't get it. What am I doing wrong?
Is it F3~Stance or F33~stance or F333~stance or have I been seeing something else entirely and F3 into stance just doesnt exist? lol

RAYBAANN

Noob
Ive been seeing videos of ppl canceling the F3 starter string into the stance but for the life of me I can't get it. What am I doing wrong?
Is it F3~Stance or F33~stance or F333~stance or have I been seeing something else entirely and F3 into stance just doesnt exist? lol
You have to mash 3 to complete the string, and when you see the third hit animation is coming, cancel fast into the stance

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Does anyone have a trick for inputting 212 consistently?

Do you guys press each button individually by lifting your thumb off the controller or sliding it across the buttons?

I seem to be too slow when I lift my thumb so i opt to slide but when I do, more often than not, it ends up doing 2121

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So was messing with LK early on then dropped him to play with other characters but thinking of picking him up more seriously. One thing this game seems to have a lot of is unsafe strings for a good amount of characters, his seem safer and faster which I like. Going to lab him more today.

I've noticed some strings in this game don't come out as consistently as other MK's, it's like some you have to input faster while others a little slower for them to come out consistently. It's weird.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah

Do you guys press each button individually by lifting your thumb off the controller or sliding it across the buttons?

I seem to be too slow when I lift my thumb so i opt to slide but when I do, more often than not, it ends up doing 2121
Tap 2 first, lift your thumb and then immediately slide across 1 & 2. It's easier if you treat it as two seperate inputs, you don't have to do it like a maniac.

It requires rapid pressing . Treating it like a string such as 123 will not make it come out . Pressing 21 in rapid succession will only make 2 come out . You got to press 212 fast . Sliding your thumbs across the pad works well for those kind of stings but you have to train your muscle memory to hold back from pressing smth like 212121 as the speed required encourages mashing . Try doing one downward and then upward quick stroke

So was messing with LK early on then dropped him to play with other characters but thinking of picking him up more seriously. One thing this game seems to have a lot of is unsafe strings for a good amount of characters, his seem safer and faster which I like. Going to lab him more today.

I've noticed some strings in this game don't come out as consistently as other MK's, it's like some you have to input faster while others a little slower for them to come out consistently. It's weird.
Indeed . The stings that require fast pressing are f333 , 212 , 2121 and b124
Kusari Slam is good, maybe include them in Wu Shi Legend?
I would like that as well . Don't know why they bother putting moves in the game that will end up not being playable competitive

Methysan

Noob
Sorry if this is known but I'm just looking for a quick answer.

I hit my opponent with D1, then press 12 and they block the 1 and can duck the 2??? I thought I knew how this game worked but I guess not. Is this just a thing?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Sorry if this is known but I'm just looking for a quick answer.

I hit my opponent with D1, then press 12 and they block the 1 and can duck the 2??? I thought I knew how this game worked but I guess not. Is this just a thing?
How many characters did you try this against? I'm always getting caught off guard by who 1,2 does and doesn't hit