What's new

Liu Kang Discussion Thread

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
What kind of skins have you guys unlocked? So far I've just got the few you get from Story mode; a revenant one and one with Human Liu wearing some black and red leathers. I know of the skins you can get from Liu's Tower of Time, Gauntlet Stage 30, and the krypt using the dragon amulet/heart chest, and the warrior shrine...But wondering where else you can find them?

Been playing a lot of Liu but not getting much in the way of skins. Seems like I'm unlocking skins for everyone except for Liu actually, lol.

Mirjitsu

Noob
What kind of skins have you guys unlocked? So far I've just got the few you get from Story mode; a revenant one and one with Human Liu wearing some black and red leathers. I know of the skins you can get from Liu's Tower of Time, Gauntlet Stage 30, and the krypt using the dragon amulet/heart chest, and the warrior shrine...But wondering where else you can find them?

Been playing a lot of Liu but not getting much in the way of skins. Seems like I'm unlocking skins for everyone except for Liu actually, lol.
Most of the skins I get now are in AI battles (the simulator ones that give you 5 daily rewards) and Kollector trades. I've gotten several of each actual different costume (except the story mode one) and just use the start button to change to their alt color if I don't already own it. I'm really trying to get all the Brutalities. I'm on character Tower 4 so I'm about to get the Flying Kick one but that's only 6 out of 10 I believe.

Hey guys. So I've been DESPERATELY committed to trying to learn and main this character (huge Bruce Lee fan and have always wanted to main Kang but mained Kung Lao in 9 and X because he fit my playstyle more). Fact is I consider myself pretty good at a handful of other fighting games like Street Fighter, DBFZ, and Injustice but I've been getting bodied at this game hard on average and I have no idea why. I'm starting to think I just need to take Liu Kang into training mode more. I feel like every time I press buttons I get out footsied and all of my normals get stuffed. I just feel like I can't press buttons and when I am on the offensive I don't really know how to pressure with LK properly I think. I've been using Shaolin Stance cancels but opponents that are a bit more privy know there are gaps on the unsafe overhead and meter cancel.

So I've been trying to focus on bicycle kick and f3 string pressure. My biggest question and problem is knowing when on my end it is my turn with this character and when my pressure should end. After a bicycle kick on hit it leaves you at plus 3 so I'm thinking there should be good follow ups to when you hit a regular bicycle kick but I don't know what I should be following up with (I know crouching 3 and 4 reach, if you go for the 4,3 string again you have a chance to whiff and get punished as from what I can tell only the first hit lands reliably and the second can easily whiff, I don't think the 3,3,3,3 string connects, etc.)

Also his F4,3 string. I'm beginning to think this is just the way you play the character but I feel like this is his main tool in neutral and pressure tool. I've been going for a mix of repeat F43's, throw, his B34 low string if I feel like they're not gonna mash out a jab or something quick. Here's my thing. I'm not super knowledgable on the frame data yet so I guess the following are my general questions on LK:

What to do in neutral/footsies?

How to properly pressure? Frame traps?

What is his fastest/best whiff punish (there are things I know are I can punish but I don't think I'm trying to punish with something fast enough. Been trying to use 3,3,3,3, string because it gets him the most damage)? I guess really HOW to punish as Liu Kang.

Best ways to use Shaolin stance? (for that matter I kind of feel like his Luohuo Quan variation is miles better than his second one)

What to do after the following buttons/strings (like can I follow up with something to pressure specifically or does my pressure end and I should stop pressing buttons?):

-F4
-F43
-F43+U3

General followups after strings?

What are the practical applications/what's the purpose of the B124 string (I guess used for pressure since it's safe? But isn't 123 easier to get out and more reliable?) and 343 (I've heard 34 can be used a good anti air and I"ve seen Ninjakilla use 34 in corner combos)

Useage of LK's forward 2? Honestly seems like a useless button outside of combo extension although I suppose I answered my own question as it's quite good I think in that regard, just no much else.

General tips to not get bodied as Liu Kang? I got steamrolled hard by a Kabal last night who just had better buttons/normals to keep poking me at a range where I was struggling to get him. Lots of walking back and me trying to walk him down but I'm always just out of reach and he whiff punishes me. I'm getting a lot of that and I want to get better. Is there some secret to walkspeed/walking properly in this game that makes it particularly strong and how do I stay aware? I'm playing this game and am legitimately always afraid to press a button which honestly is weird for me since in other fighting games I'm usually accustomed to very fast and rushdown oriented play which is my preference. Whatever it is I'm getting bodied, not just losing but losing real bad sometimes and I don't know what I'm doing or not doing. Honestly just been surfing youtube and the internet trying to supplement my training mode practice. Played MKX and MK9 since their launches online and never had an experience like this where I've been so rough at a fighting game in general.

Atm I feel like I'm just struggling and struggling bad. Part of it is MK11 not clicking with me yet in terms of how I'm playng it and I feel part of it is me not being as knowledgable about my character as I should be.

Last edited:

TSL_LegendSlayer

Hellsparks Initiate
Are there any Lui mains on PS4 that would like to practice and teach me some tech? I was able to break into top 100 in kasual matches online, but I still feel like I don't quite understand some of his pressure/combos etc. My PSN is Raziel_Legion if anyone is interested :)

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
So can anyone tell me what are his best strings to stance cancel off of. I heard on stream that f3+SSC jails or is a true block string and I saw that b124 + SSC is also the best string is there anymore casue the 8 frame gap on f43u3 is starting to really weigh on me.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
So I don't know if anybody else has done this in training mode but if you have the meter set to full you can do infinite Amplified bicycle kicks I think I got up to 5000 damage before I stopped getting amused

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
So can anyone tell me what are his best strings to stance cancel off of. I heard on stream that f3+SSC jails or is a true block string and I saw that b124 + SSC is also the best string is there anymore casue the 8 frame gap on f43u3 is starting to really weigh on me.
I cancel out of b2, a lot of people are guessing if I hit low or oh, even experienced players, simply because nobody uses it. B2 also proved to be a nice anti cross up move to me

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Is it just me or did EX Low Fireball get nerfed? I can't seem to connect standing 1 after it in the corner anymore...

so I'm kinda new to this stuff, can anyone tell me what's the point of the stance cancel and why it seems no one chooses the variation with the buff?

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Stance cancel is similar to Scorpion's Misery Blade... it can make an unsafe string safe, or give you a way out of a bad situation where you were going to eat a guaranteed punish, into one where if your opponent does not know how to react you can get away for free.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
so I'm kinda new to this stuff, can anyone tell me what's the point of the stance cancel and why it seems no one chooses the variation with the buff?
Buff variation doesn’t have low fireball and the parry two most important moves for Liu Kang. It has some good features like teleport but not that crucial. Parry if done on wake up opponents leads to 50% combo out of Krushing Blow. Stance cancel was supposed to help you rushdown your opponents though experienced players that know the pattern just poke out of it and it costs one defense bar. Instead of canceling the stance it’s better to do the low move which is safe. Again, it depends on the reads.

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
Once NRS optimizes stance cancel, there won’t be a whole lot of reasons to use the other variation except for the damage from fire buff. Unless they tweak the teleport a bit. Not having low fireball limits your corner combo damage potential a lot too

damn thanks for the quick answers, had no idea it was the counter and the low fire ball that was so key to that variation.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Can someone confirm that EX low fireball into standing 1 still works? I can only get d1 to work...

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
How come the Liu Kang subforum doesnt have a combo thread?
Im trying to pick him up but I cant find any of his highest damage BnBs and combos for each situation.

For example, I do F43~BF4 as a midscreen meterless punish but I dont know if something better exists
I know of F3333, F2, 12, 123, BF3 thats also pretty good midscreen meterless

In the corner, both KB from the D2 and from F43U3 are continued with F2, 12, 123, BF3
But I dont know what else to do. Does he have an AA combo? What's his best combo for his fastests starting string?

Frenzy

Noob
Buff variation doesn’t have low fireball and the parry two most important moves for Liu Kang. It has some good features like teleport but not that crucial. Parry if done on wake up opponents leads to 50% combo out of Krushing Blow. Stance cancel was supposed to help you rushdown your opponents though experienced players that know the pattern just poke out of it and it costs one defense bar. Instead of canceling the stance it’s better to do the low move which is safe. Again, it depends on the reads.
Many characters can punish shaolin stance 3 with standing 1. Scorpion, Geras, and Noob are a few examples.