What's new

Match-up Discussion Lex Luthor Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
How is batman 5-5 when Lex can EASILY be lamed out. I could understand 5-5 if both players are actually fighting, but if batman is full screen all he has to do is trait, batarangs, batarangs mb, trait, rinse and repeat.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Does anyone have any advice for fighting Nightwing? This character tears me up.

He seems to have an easy time dispelling armor, and in staff stance I don't feel like I can do anything against him if armor is dispelled. Any advice would be appreciated.

He seems to have an easy time dispelling armor, and in staff stance I don't feel like I can do anything against him if armor is dispelled. Any advice would be appreciated.
MB probes are usually my "shields" against characters that can easily break armor.

They basically perform a similar function, force the opponent to be defensive while you get a free mixup.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
But how do you get probes out against a character with the EX staff pound, which will dismiss armor and hit you, or wingdings, which will do the same thing? I mean I can EX at full screen and trade with his escrima stance ground projectiles, but he seems to be able to stop it from anywhere else.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
How is batman 5-5 when Lex can EASILY be lamed out. I could understand 5-5 if both players are actually fighting, but if batman is full screen all he has to do is trait, batarangs, batarangs mb, trait, rinse and repeat.
Because outside of that Lex can pretty much do his thing. He's more annoying to play online imo because it's so much harder to get in on zoning and deal with his trait. I've thought about using the mb bounce cancel with trait up and see how it does against bats but haven't tested it yet.

With trait up you can bait things that would break his armor. Against staff spin, for example, you can block all but the last hit, armor it and punish. Against his pressure, pushblock is worth it. There's really no one who can do anything about his d1's lol.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
But how do you get probes out against a character with the EX staff pound, which will dismiss armor and hit you, or wingdings, which will do the same thing? I mean I can EX at full screen and trade with his escrima stance ground projectiles, but he seems to be able to stop it from anywhere else.
Jump/block staff pounds, get in range to bait wingdings without them hitting you and you can put a probe up. There's a way to only eat 1 wingding as well and punish with trait if you look for the right spots.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Hmmm... so I shouldn't try to armor punish the D1s? That was a mistake I was making then.

Where's the range to eat wingdings and punish? Also does that include instant aired wingdings?

You can get them out after a hard knockdown from Corp Charge. I'm pretty sure MB probes will come out even if you are hit by a wakeup after a corp charge.

I think for example, if you hit him with a corp, and throw out probes, he can do a wakeup that will hit you at range, but it will trade in your favor- he'll hit you, but you'll recover from the hit just as probes fire. He'll get clipped by the probes, making him vulnerable.

Also, I like to end all my combos on Nightwing with a cancel into a mine (assuming the combo has him airborne). Mines really screw with him when he's in staff stance.

A pretty simple combo to rush him with after you've got probes out would be:
F2 (or B13)- MB grav pull, B3 Ji2, 11-mine
Nightwing will land directly on the mine if he doesn't tech roll. I'm pretty sure he can't wake-up out of it either, but I should probably test this in practice mode.

If he is caught in the mine, you can dash towards him and B3, Ji2, 11-mine and repeat the process until he recognizes he needs to tech it to get out of the loop, which should give you the room you need.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Awesome thanks. Now is doing 11>mine better than doing B2>mine or even ji3>D2 mine? If so, why?

I also assume that ending in mine is only good against a knockdown when he's in staff stance since escrima wake up is that somersault, or does it still grab him?

My most common setup atm against characters who don't have wake up slides/invincible forward momentum moves is F2/B13>MB vacuum>B3>ji2>B2>Orbital laser>Either block and punish if they tend to do wakeups to avoid laser, mine if they don't (If timed right you recover from mine as they get up the second time) or corps charge if they surprised me with a tech roll.
If I expect them to tech roll the set up I'll do weapons fired instead of laser, then ji3 and either D2>armor (Or drones if I already have armor up)>dash>ambiguous jump in 2 that reverses wakeup inputs or if they're out of D2 range then ji3>corps charge>armor.

Now admittedly, I'm still kind of new to Lex, so should I not use these against NW and instead do mine setups all of the time? Would I be better off canceling into drones instead to get some breathing room?

Thanks for the help by the way guys and sorry to bug you all with so many questions.

I'm not sure if 11-mine is better/worse then b2-mine. You'll have to try out both and see where NW lands. I haven't had a chance to test it in practice, but I'm pretty sure he will land in the same place regardless of stance. So if you are accustomed to B2-(insert setup here) and he lands on it, then definitely use that.

As for ji3>D2 mine... I think ji3 > U3 far-mine might be more damaging, and more easier to connect, also, U3 gives you a HUGE amount of breathing room, if you are much more comfortable taking on NW from a distance.

A big part of Lex is adjusting and switching which setups you use for each character you play- so you'll just have to try them and see which ones work best against Nightwing.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
ji3>u3 works?! Well I think that may be a new setup (For me anyway)!

That being said ji3>D2>armor>dash>j2 sets up an ambiguous jump attack that reverses their inputs.

A note on Ji3>u3 though, while it is very damaging, it can be difficult as hell to input. You can't input the u3 while you are still in the air after a ji3 for whatever reason, you have to hit it the second Luthor is grounded- worse, if you don't get "Up" and "3" pressed at the same time, you end up jumping in the air swinging your Axe at nothing....

So for online, you might want to use Ji2>u3, because that will let you input your u3>(setup) while you are still in the air.

... I dunno why it will give me an input buffer window with ji2 but not ji3...

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I need help against Batman. I feel so helpless in that match up. qq

I need help against Batman. I feel so helpless in that match up. qq
Which kind of Batman are you facing?

He's a very versatile character, so I tend to see two kinds of Batmans online.

Are they rushing you down with j2 or pressuring you from a distance with trait/batarangs?

However, skilled Batman players know how to play Batman both those ways, and for them, I really don't know what to do :(

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
A combination of both. I feel like batman can get in on me whenever he feels like it by using his trait. His j2 is a huge pain in the ass too. Can hardly tell when it's crossing me up or not. I don't know if I need to lay down more mines and orbs to keep him out, but I don't know if I can beat him like that.

I remember after watching this, I started to use probes a lot more. The way Revolver used them seem to mess up the Batman player a good deal... Still a loss for Lex, but against those Batman players that can both rush you down and pressure you with batarangs and trait, it really seems to be an uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.