What's new

Match-up Discussion Lex Luthor Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Lex vs Deathstroke is horrible.

Deathstroke is a horrible match up for a lot of people though.

I don't know how to get around his bullshit, the best I can do is air dash and hope I either hit him or go over it and land before he recovers.

I've had some serious problems with Deathstroke too- and anyone else with a fast projectile for that matter(Harley, Joker, Green Arrow). It really lets them control the pace of the match because your only option is to approach and play a sort of guessing game while slowly getting chipped the whole time. My best advice would be to try to stay out of the air because good players will just change the timing of their projectiles to hit you. Throwing in a corp charge in the air can help mix things up, but its still pretty risky. Crouch/block, dash, and repeat. Watch for his MB assualt rifle because it counts as an overhead and will knock you out of crouch. Be patient, and find your opening. Once you get in and get a knock down, toss a mine behind then to force them to jump on the retreat which will give you time to throw out a probe or continue approaching. Dont bother with Lex's trait in this matchup, his multi-hit projectile attacks will go right through it. Lex is good in the corner, so sometimes it can work to your advantage if they back themselves up full screen and you play your cards right.

Also, dont try to use any of your ranged abilities between Deathstrokes gunshots- frame data doesnt lie. You wont win that battle.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I know not to use my trait, and once I get him down once I can usually get some major damage and keep him trapped, or force him into a mine or something for a combo.

Lex is so slow I try not to get to far into DS's face unless I got him trapped or have my probe out for fear of getting my attacks beaten.

Well it sounds like youre doing everything right, so all i have to say is this matchup sucks for Lex and i am jumping on the Deathstroke hate bandwagon haha. Deathstroke's normals come out hours before Lex's, so like you said, you cant get too far into it. Very hard indeed.

Ya that's a pretty accurate description. I don't think that he has any mecessarily bad matchups, but Raven, Killer Frost, and Shazam seem like they could give him a run for his money. I can't wait to see how players end up dealing with him in high level play. I'm sure it will end up being a pretty entertaining matchup to watch. Another thing that makes him very hard for Lex is his one fast medium range spin-through-the-air wakeup. That pretty much stops all of Lex's knockdown trap options. It can also be good though because it is VERY punishable on block and a lot of players throw it out way too much against me. It does create a mind game though, and makes me hesitate to throw a mine the second he hits the ground.

Also, stage interactions are key in this matchup. If you use them right they can be one of the best ways of getting in. Pick your stages wisely and know how each stage's interactions work.

Green Lanturn is tough. He has lots of options. You cant get too jump happy against him because he has an AA that leads into full combo. You have time to dash between his projectiles and since he only has single-projectile attacks, you can armor charge dash through them. You need to be careful when throwing out traps near him on a knock-down because his force grab move is really fast on wake-up. His move where he holds onto the jet and flies in is very easy to punish if you see it coming. He has a very good string with a low in the middle so make sure that you are blocking low until you see him throw out an overhead. If he ends a blockstring with his force grab move it is punishable by Lex's b1-3 string. Dont try to fight a projectile war with him. You will lose. You can trade projectiles with him, but his do way more than yours, so it is a losing battle. You just need to get in and stay in. I know that this is very general but that is the best I can do for you right now.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Green Lanturn is tough. He has lots of options. You cant get too jump happy against him because he has an AA that leads into full combo. You have time to dash between his projectiles and since he only has single-projectile attacks, you can armor charge dash through them. You need to be careful when throwing out traps near him on a knock-down because his force grab move is really fast on wake-up. His move where he holds onto the jet and flies in is very easy to punish if you see it coming. He has a very good string with a low in the middle so make sure that you are blocking low until you see him throw out an overhead. If he ends a blockstring with his force grab move it is punishable by Lex's b1-3 string. Dont try to fight a projectile war with him. You will lose. You can trade projectiles with him, but his do way more than yours, so it is a losing battle. You just need to get in and stay in. I know that this is very general but that is the best I can do for you right now.
Thanks, I think I have improved a lot against Green Lantern. I usually try to get an orb out, duck projectile and get in by either dashing or air charge. I also d1 a lot which leads in to a 50/50 situation which is sick.

Dapman

Currently playing as Lex Luthor.
What are the Lex boards general view on his match-up vs Catwoman? I played a decent one earlier, and while I won a majority of the matches I felt that it was only due to the fact that this player lacked knowledge of how Lex works. It was a landslide victory this first time in my favor, but I don't want to be caught unprepared in case he takes Lex to training mode and learns to punish every little thing I do.

So, the question here is, what are Lex's main tools against Catwoman's rushdown? Any tips would be appreciated.

Note that she can punish your set ups (db+3 and dd+3) with b+3 at about mid screen before you can place either of them. It requires good reactions on the part of the Catwoman player, but after this one got a grasp of my zoning shenanigans, I was eating a lot more punishment. Also, she could punish with her cat dash as well which leads into a full combo :(

Once Lex knocks Catwoman down he can just armor up or lay down a mine at his feet and that pretty much closes off a lot of Catwomans approaches. Lex's air heavy is also your best friend for fighting Catwoman because of the range on the axe.

If you're too close to her she will be able to stop your setups so if possible try to get some distance on her by comboing into your gravity pull to send her across the screen allowing you ample time to have mines, orbs and weapons locked setup against her.

When you have armor on feel free to go for ballsy anti airs when she tries jump ins or just poke her with some lights to start a combo.

Lex's sweep is also good at annoying her due to it's far reaching hitbox so if you need a move to hit her with when she's near you but there's a mine in the way then go for it :V

Malec

Noob
superman lasershow is so hard -.- i am fine close range, but once i got knock downed, i have no idea how to get past all the laser spamming.
lex movement seems to be the worst in the game, horrible slow jump and movement speed makes it realy hard to get around zoning

superman lasershow is so hard -.- i am fine close range, but once i got knock downed, i have no idea how to get past all the laser spamming.
lex movement seems to be the worst in the game, horrible slow jump and movement speed makes it realy hard to get around zoning
Block and dash in. Once you're close enough just take out his next laser attempt with your air heavy attack (dat axe) and just keep close to him.

Jumping and using air corp charge is good too and gets you in fast.

Whenever you knock him down try to toss out an orb as they'll constantly bring him back down if he tries jumping up again. Ocaisionally armor yourself up also as this means you can go for a combo attempt without much bother if he tries to mash buttons on wake up in a panic.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I was playing AdmiralAugustus today and we're thinking Lex does pretty well against Grundy. Armor trait into strings will nullify any of his armor, orbs prevent him from getting in when mb swamp hands hits, and he can't air grab j3 unless it's closer range. Everything still needs to be fleshed out more but that's my impression so far.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Lex's trait almost completely nullifies walking corpse and walking corpse cancels, especially on Grundys wakeup. Lex also controls the air unless you get a good read on an air grab. 7-3 (or possibly 8-2) if you're too high to roll out of mine setups. 6-4 when all is said and done.

Lex's trait almost completely nullifies walking corpse and walking corpse cancels, especially on Grundys wakeup. Lex also controls the air unless you get a good read on an air grab. 7-3 (or possibly 8-2) if you're too high to roll out of mine setups. 6-4 when all is said and done.
Orbs are important against Grundy as whenever one is out it will always stop any combo or grab chain Grundy tries to use on Lex because of how long the animations for them are.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
I'm really salty as I write this.... Black Adam is a horrible match up for Lex. He can punish anytime you put something out, he can punish you trying to time a trait dash, even landing a orb strike doesn't help. Walking backwards and having some kind of instant projectile is Lex's downfall.

Malec

Noob
I'm really salty as I write this.... Black Adam is a horrible match up for Lex. He can punish anytime you put something out, he can punish you trying to time a trait dash, even landing a orb strike doesn't help. Walking backwards and having some kind of instant projectile is Lex's downfall.
i dont have that much experience against black adam, but just dont put something out, dont stand full screen and try to get a drone or a mine or whatever out, you get blown up by black magic/lighning bullshit. get a knock down first. black adam got nothing going on against air bullshit, so you have to jump alot, try to hit him with ji3 into combo or at least into corp charge, so you can set your offence up and dont try to stay fullscreen against him, there is no point, he will outzone you. watch out for his b2,3 advancing overhead that is advantage on block and his go to whiff punish. and just never duck against black adam in close range, he has no lows, but a fucking lot of overheads that combos.

edit. black magic and lighting strikes dont hit you in the air, so if you are close enough and already jumping, you can air corp charge whiff punish him, if the range isnt close enough for ji3

Status
Not open for further replies.