What's new

Guide Lex Luthor Combo Thread

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
I've only ever been able to pull it off once, but inside the Wayne Manor stage, I've been able to pull off a 133% damage reset combo with Lex Luthor by using the edge of the table. It will only work with full meter & on your opponent's 2nd health bar though, so it's very situational.

db3, dd3, b3, ji2, 2, table.
repeat this a total of 4x, but on the 4th attempt, after the b3, instead input: 2, super.

If you do it correctly, you should be able to bounce your opponent off of the table a total of 3x (from 1 side to the other).

It should look something like this:
db3, dd3b, b3, ji2, 2, table. 29%
db3, dd3b, b3, ji2, 2, table. 58%
db3, dd3b, b3, ji2, 2, table. 87%
db3, dd3b, b3, 2, super. 133%

And just for kicks, here's a 43% damage, meterless combo:

dd3b, db3, b2u3, b3, ji2, b2u3d3
(Gravity Mine)(Lex Probe)(LexCorp)(Ion Push)(Overcharge Kick)(Megalomania)

"Your death brought to you today by Lex Luthor's patented LexCorp. Battlesuit - It will kill you. Guaranteed..."

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I've only ever been able to pull it off once, but inside the Wayne Manor stage, I've been able to pull off a 133% damage reset combo with Lex Luthor by using the edge of the table. It will only work with full meter & on your opponent's 2nd health bar though, so it's very situational.

db3, dd3, b3, ji2, 2, table.
repeat this a total of 4x, but on the 4th attempt, after the b3, instead input: 2, super.

If you do it correctly, you should be able to bounce your opponent off of the table a total of 3x (from 1 side to the other).

It should look something like this:
db3, dd3b, b3, ji2, 2, table. 29%
db3, dd3b, b3, ji2, 2, table. 58%
db3, dd3b, b3, ji2, 2, table. 87%
db3, dd3b, b3, 2, super. 133%
Can you explain this a little better? I don't get where the reset is taking place.

Galactic Geek

Can you explain this a little better? I don't get where the reset is taking place.
The reset should occur after you bounce your opponent off of the table. That action ends the combo, but since you start the next string with the mine, they land upon it, which starts the whole process over again. Landing upon the mine doesn't give them the opportunity to wake up or perform a tech roll.

Galactic Geek

I can't figure out the edit feature for these forums... :(

In any case, it may not be a reset per se'. It may just be a way to link multiple combos together that is incredibly hard for your opponent to escape. Also, for the subsequent combos, you'll want to put the gravity mine down 1st & then use the Lex probe second - that was a mistake I made in my original post.

Galactic Geek

Okay, I went back into practice mode & tried this again. I was wrong on more points than I originally thought (since it's been a month since I've pulled it off). Try this:

#1. dd3, db3, 112 (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, table (1st reset); 34% damage (8 hits).
#2. dd3b (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, table (2nd reset); 29% damage (5 hits).
#3. dd3b (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, table (3rd reset); 29% damage (5 hits).
#4. dd3b (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, super. 46% damage (11 hits).
TOTAL = 3 resets worth 138% damage (with 29 total hits).

Remember, you have to have full meter, be on the far end of either side of the table, and your opponent has to be on their 2nd health bar. It's all very, very situational - but if you can pull it off, your opponent is nothing but dead.

On a personal note, I figured out how to edit my posts. Yay! :D

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
The thing is, they're going to block the mine.

If they can't tech roll though, any close mine situation where they land on the mine is really good when you have trait up. f2 on a close mine is nearly unblcokable.

Galactic Geek

Okay, I went back into practice mode & tried this again. I was wrong on more points than I originally thought (since it's been a month since I've pulled it off). Try this:

#1. dd3, db3, 112 (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, table (1st reset); 34% damage (8 hits).
#2. dd3b (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, table (2nd reset); 29% damage (5 hits).
#3. dd3b (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, table (3rd reset); 29% damage (5 hits).
#4. dd3b (hits gravity mine), b3, ji2, 2, super. 46% damage (11 hits).
TOTAL = 3 resets worth 138% damage (with 29 total hits).

Remember, you have to have full meter, be on the far end of either side of the table, and your opponent has to be on their 2nd health bar. It's all very, very situational - but if you can pull it off, your opponent is nothing but dead.

On a personal note, I figured out how to edit my posts. Yay! :D
After additional practice, I've learned that this combo can be performed on ANY stage that has a background bounce interactable. Even better than that, I've also learned that you can judge the placement you need to start the combo at in order to use said interactable by other nearby interactables (for example for the table inside Wayne Manor, you'd need to start this combo near the piano or the chair in order to get the entire combo).

While this is a fun thing to mess around with in training mode, it's never gonna work on someone who knows how to block. If, however, they can't tech roll the landing after the intractable, they HAVE to block the mine which should give you a free F2 combo starter. Of course they can also do a wakeup attack to escape the mine. So using the intractable could setup an interesting reset, but it's never gonna work the way you're describing it against an opponent who knows what they're doing. See if the stage bounce can be tech rolled. If not, then you might be on to something.

Galactic Geek

While this is a fun thing to mess around with in training mode, it's never gonna work on someone who knows how to block. If, however, they can't tech roll the landing after the intractable, they HAVE to block the mine which should give you a free F2 combo starter. Of course they can also do a wakeup attack to escape the mine. So using the intractable could setup an interesting reset, but it's never gonna work the way you're describing it against an opponent who knows what they're doing. See if the stage bounce can be tech rolled. If not, then you might be on to something.
In practice mode, I set it up so the AI would roll - after the stage bounce, the AI never rolled. I'm pretty sure you can't wake up from a stage bounce because I believe it's a hard knock-down. I'll check on this to be sure...

Galactic Geek

Hmm, I thought someone would've responded to my previous post by now... :(

In any case, I have discovered (to my dismay) that it is NOT a hard knock-down. I set the AI up in practice mode to perform wake-ups & EVERY time they hit the ground from flying off of the table, they would immediately go into the wake-up, which completely bypassed the gravity mine. However, for a human player I still imagine the timing to pull this off would be incredibly hard to do, so at least there's that...

In practice mode, I set it up so the AI would roll - after the stage bounce, the AI never rolled. I'm pretty sure you can't wake up from a stage bounce because I believe it's a hard knock-down. I'll check on this to be sure...
I just confirmed this myself as well, background bounce intractables cause a hard knockdown, and there's plenty of time to lay down a mine right at their feet. Combo I was doing into the stage bounce:
B13/F2 xx DB2 MB > B3 > J2 > 22 xx SB (I think it's around 32%) > DD3B

Wake-ups will escape the mine, and I imagine backdashes will too but I wasn't able to test those. Pretty decent setup since a F2 is a near guaranteed combo starter if they just block when they get up. I'll play around with it tomorrow and see if I can test backdashes.

Grave__Intent

Death's Trusty Side-Kick!
Not sure if this is listed but here's a good n' easy 1 meter 36% combo with Lex...
J2, B13, DB2+MB, B3, J2, B2U3D3... 36%

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Galactic Geek they don't have to time a wakeup, you can just hold down and block the mine since it doesn't OTG. But it would create a messed up situation with trait up. If they don't have a multi hit or teleport wakeup they're probably going to get hit by something.

And uhfutzafooken if backdashes work could you jump 2 to get their backdash and still set up the low-overhead if they just block?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Are the combos and set ups in the op mostly up to date?
Sort of. There's some setups and stuff that could be added but it's too hard to put every ending situation in one list.

BDMao88 i edited the b2 ending info in the OP if that's okay. Since it's only +5 on hit you can backdash/poke out of the 50/50 so it's not really a free mixup

4x4lo8o

Noob
Sort of. There's some setups and stuff that could be added but it's too hard to put every ending situation in one list.

BDMao88 i edited the b2 ending info in the OP if that's okay. Since it's only +5 on hit you can backdash/poke out of the 50/50 so it's not really a free mixup
Thank you, sir. I just wanted to make sure I didn't start practicing a bunch of stuff from the op only to learn it's all outdated and doesn't contain anything people use anymore. A few character forums have combo threads like that.

Hmm, I thought someone would've responded to my previous post by now... :(

In any case, I have discovered (to my dismay) that it is NOT a hard knock-down. I set the AI up in practice mode to perform wake-ups & EVERY time they hit the ground from flying off of the table, they would immediately go into the wake-up, which completely bypassed the gravity mine. However, for a human player I still imagine the timing to pull this off would be incredibly hard to do, so at least there's that...
Just to clarify terminology, a hard knockdown is one you can't roll out of. You can do a wakeup attack out of ANY knockdown with proper timing except for special situations where inputs can be reversed, usually in the corner. So the intractable does cause a HKD, which is very advantageous and its not terrible that they can wakeup since that's a little mindgame that players have to consider for just about every knockdown. The fact that a wakeup attack is possibly one of two ways out of this setup or maybe even the only way out means they can be baited pretty easily. And like revolver said with trait up you can just ignore single hit wakeups altogether.

And uhfutzafooken if backdashes work could you jump 2 to get their backdash and still set up the low-overhead if they just block?
Actually it doesn't look like backdashes can escape the mine! The stage bounce leaves them directly at your feet and the close mine gets placed slightly behind them, so a backdash will still get caught. I tested with lex, batman, black adam, and martian manhunter. So basically the opponent has to wakeup attack or block the mine. Which means wakeup attack or eat a F2 combo essentially. I'd appreciate if someone else could test this just to confirm my findings cause this is pretty awesome.

Galactic Geek

Just to clarify terminology, a hard knockdown is one you can't roll out of. You can do a wakeup attack out of ANY knockdown with proper timing except for special situations where inputs can be reversed, usually in the corner. So the intractable does cause a HKD, which is very advantageous and its not terrible that they can wakeup since that's a little mindgame that players have to consider for just about every knockdown. The fact that a wakeup attack is possibly one of two ways out of this setup or maybe even the only way out means they can be baited pretty easily. And like revolver said with trait up you can just ignore single hit wakeups altogether.

Actually it doesn't look like backdashes can escape the mine! The stage bounce leaves them directly at your feet and the close mine gets placed slightly behind them, so a backdash will still get caught. I tested with lex, batman, black adam, and martian manhunter. So basically the opponent has to wakeup attack or block the mine. Which means wakeup attack or eat a F2 combo essentially. I'd appreciate if someone else could test this just to confirm my findings cause this is pretty awesome.
Your findings!? I was the 1 who listed the combo that allowed you to do this in the 1st place! Don't try to take credit for others' ideas - that's plagiarism & I won't stand for it.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Your findings!? I was the 1 who listed the combo that allowed you to do this in the 1st place! Don't try to take credit for others' ideas - that's plagiarism & I won't stand for it.
I don't know if you're saying that completely seriously, but he's referring to the finding that backdashes won't escape the unblockable setup.

So this means with trait up, interactable bounce, close mine, f2 is virtually inescapable for a lot of characters. IMO it's worth ending a combo early for that especially since you're giving trait more time anyway. Without trait you can still play bait games but idk if I'd go for it every time if I can still do good damage.

Easy man I was referring to backdashes to make sure I tested them properly. I give you all the credit for originally finding this setup I'm just trying to help polish it.

I don't know if you're saying that completely seriously, but he's referring to the finding that backdashes won't escape the unblockable setup.

So this means with trait up, interactable bounce, close mine, f2 is virtually inescapable for a lot of characters. IMO it's worth ending a combo early for that especially since you're giving trait more time anyway. Without trait you can still play bait games but idk if I'd go for it every time if I can still do good damage.
Pretty much. With trait up its a lock against most of the cast. It's pretty solid even without trait though since you're not really shortening the combo it actually adds damage to the basic midscreen combo into mine anyway, it ensures that they land on top of the mine without having to make a read on whether they will roll because they can't roll, and there's only one way out of it.