What's new

Guide Lex Luthor Combo Thread

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Nice thread BDMao88

For the 50/50 mixup Lex has I find it difficult to hit confirm his f2 into MB gravity pull. If I go for the f2 I am committed to the combo and if I guess wrong I get punished hard. B13 on the other hand is very hit confirmable.

I don't have the frame data right now, but isn't B1 by itself neutral on block or something and (?) on hit. So after a d1 hits you could test their high/low blocking with a B1 and if they block it you're at no disadvantage, but if it hits doesn't it open up another potential 50/50 guessing game? I mean instead of committing to the b13 which is (?) on block. I don't think there's a way to make a blocked b13 safe at all right?

I gotta take a look at the frame data again when I get home lol

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Wemfs

It is impossible to confirm F2 in to grav pull, but more of a reason why everyone will crouch on you thinking you won't do it.

b1 is -1 on hit so you have to commit to the b13. B1 on block is +6 but doesn't allow you to do a safe overhead. B13 is -4 on block, but it's easy to confirm so you can either do a grav pull if you hit or block.

Maybe try a grab after a blocked b1 since it will then be 6 frames. Shoot this could make Lex pretty scary if you land a d1 and you always do a b1 check which can either let you full combo or get a grab and eventually they will constantly block low and go for a overhead.

Thead

Noob
BDMao88 I find myself a lot more consistent with 21~Ender as opposed to F2~Ender after a Ji3 starter :D

If B1 is blocked and you go for the throw, you have to take a very tiny step forward otherwise the throw whiffs.

Also, if you don't want to get punished for dialling F2~Gravity Pull, you can F2, if it hits, you have enough time to set up an Orb, Trait Dash, or lay down a Mine!

Wemfs

Thead

Noob
Just discovered something about Lex, his Orb and Orb MB both hit while you are grabbing the opponent, boosting Lexs throw damage from 11% to 13% and 15% respectively.

The Orb could play a part in some of Lexs Close range Mine Enders, mixing in the Orb:-

Techroll Backdash is the opponents best option, but this allows you to Trait up

Techroll wakeup can be scouted and punished easily, where just a Techroll allows you to dash in and pressure (Orb protects you)

If they just get up blocking, fearing the Orb you can mix up with Overhead/Low/Throw, although after a Throw you're not really at any advantage.

Spheris

Noob
My BnB hit confirmable combo with Luthor is:

j2, 2-2 x MB Gravity Pull, b3, j3, 1-1-3 x Corpse Charge (41% damage)

Note: The MB Gravity Pull input has to be done at the same time the second 2 hits

If the 2-2 was blocked, you can go for:

2-2-d1 (Overhead, safe on block, can be followed by Corpse Charge)
2-2-b3 (Low, safe on block, Hard knockdown)
2-2 x Lance Blast Backdash Cancel (Spacing)
2-2 x MB Orbital Strike (Reset), Dash forward, f2 x MB Gravity Pull, b3, j2, f2 x Corpse Charge (Risky reset, 39% damage, but it works surprisingly well, and even better with trait on)

But, if you sacrifice a bit of damage at the end of the BnB combo, you have very good options for doing more damage on reset, or for setting up your zoning. I usually go for one of these:

(..) 1-1-3 x Orbital Strike (In VS this works the vast majority of the time, and it's a reset so damage is 37+8 = 45%)
(..) 1-1-3 x MB Orbital Strike (In VS this works the vast majority of the time, and it's a reset so damage is 37+14 = 51%, plus normally they'll get hit for another Orbital Strike, so 51+8 = 60%)
(..) 1-1-3 x Far Gravity Mine (In VS this works from time to time)
(..) 1-1-3 x Level 3 Trait (Nice setup for activating trait)
(..) 1-1-3 x Lex Probe (Nice setup for setting up zoning)

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Spheris, nice bit of info there...I will try to that out in my game using the 22. Only problem I don't like is say I do a d1 and do your 22 setup, it's getting blocked no matter what and on top of it the overhead/low is slow and easy to block. But is safe.....Would like to hear more people chime in on this. * I know it's from your ji2 though*

You can get 1% more if you do F2 grav pull instead of 113 charge. I don't like basing %'s off jump ins and I really hate how it feels to ji2 22 grav pull, it seems like a pain to get the grav pull out!

I'm testing some of your setups as I go along, one thing I noticed is U3 probe does same % as 113 probe, but I feel like U3 gets the probe up much quicker and allows for better pressure.

I wouldn't consider the probe for zoning, but more for getting in.

Also F2 allows for a quicker orbital than a long string like 113.

Try it out and see which you prefer.

Spheris

Noob
Only problem I don't like is say I do a d1 and do your 22 setup, it's getting blocked no matter what and on top of it the overhead/low is slow and easy to block. But is safe.....Would like to hear more people chime in on this. * I know it's from your ji2 though*

You can get 1% more if you do F2 grav pull instead of 113 charge. I don't like basing %'s off jump ins and I really hate how it feels to ji2 22 grav pull, it seems like a pain to get the grav pull out!
No move combo from d1, am I wrong?

About the f2 x Gravity Pull, I know the option, but getting the f2 after the j3 is much more difficult than the 1-1-3 string because f2 is slower than 1. I use 1-1-3 because I only execute combos in matches I know I can land consistently.

You have to input the MB Gravity Pull before or in the instant the second 2 of the 2-2 connects, so you have to be fast to see if the j2, 2 actually hits or is blocked, but it's relatively easy to see it if you are focused.

2-2 is -13 on block unless the in-game frame data is incorrect?
You're right, it's not safe on block, I was thinking of another move while writing the post. Gonna correct it, thanks!

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
d1 > 50/50 is kinda tricky with negative edge. i often lance beam on accident from the d1 when i attempt the f or b

d1 > 50/50 is kinda tricky with negative edge. i often lance beam on accident from the d1 when i attempt the f or b
I have this problem too, but it isnt caused by the negative edge. You just need to make sure that you do not rush to the b1 too quickly or slide your thumb from down to back. The b1 will only come out once the animation of the d1 is totally finished, but the laser will come out a bit earlier. Dont get me wrong though, I agree that it is really stupid and frustrating, and I know that it is much easier said than done.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
As LizardLard said, wait for d1 animation to be done , so as soon as Lex stands up input F2/B1. It is very easy since it's very easy to see when you hit with a d1.

Just take a deep breath, shave your head, and think how superior you are.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Is the same when trying to do a d1 into probe? I always seem to get his beam projectile when trying to do d1, b3.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Is the same when trying to do a d1 into probe? I always seem to get his beam projectile when trying to do d1, b3.
Why would you do that though? Probe is crazy frames. If you really wanted to do it though just d1 b3 very fast like smoke does in mk9, but I have no idea how you're getting a forward move to come out.

I need to stop stalking this section.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
But, if you sacrifice a bit of damage at the end of the BnB combo, you have very good options for doing more damage on reset, or for setting up your zoning. I usually go for one of these:

(..) 1-1-3 x Orbital Strike (In VS this works the vast majority of the time, and it's a reset so damage is 37+8 = 45%)
(..) 1-1-3 x MB Orbital Strike (In VS this works the vast majority of the time, and it's a reset so damage is 37+14 = 51%)
(..) 1-1-3 x Far Gravity Mine (In VS this works from time to time)
(..) 1-1-3 x Level 3 Trait (Nice setup for activating trait)
(..) 1-1-3 x Lex Probe (Nice setup for setting up zoning)
Aside from the mine shenanigans, I think that Gravity Pull is the best ender against anyone but very strong zoners, because it gets them all the way out and allows you to setup your offense and traps again.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Aside from the mine shenanigans, I think that Gravity Pull is the best ender against anyone but very strong zoners, because it gets them all the way out and allows you to setup your offense and traps again.
Not only that but it does 1% more damage than charge and like you said in another thread it builds better meter which it does, 6 grav pulls to 7 corp charges.

Malec

Noob
got some corner combos

B1,3~grav pull MB, F3, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~grav pull (38 damage)
B1,3~grav pull MB, F3, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~drone (34 damage, drone pressure)
B1,3~grav pull MB, F3, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~orbit strike (34 damage, unblockable on wrong wakeup) (possible reset with MB orbit strike)
B1,3~grav pull MB, F3, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~trait (hold charge) backdash (34 damage, backdash against wakeup attacks with fully charged trait)
B1,3~grav pull MB, B3, ji2, 2,1~mine/drone/orbit strike/corpse charge (27 damage)

F2, 2~grav pull MB, F3, B2, 1,1, u3~grav pull (41 damag)
F2, 2~grav pull MB, F3, B2, 1,1, u3~drone (36 damage, drone pressure)
F2, 2~grav pull MB, F3, B2, 1,1, u3~orbit strike (36 damage, unblockable on wrong wakeup) (possible reset with MB orbit strike)
F2, 2~grav pull MB, F3, B2, 1,1, u3~trait (hold charge) backdash (36 damage, backdash against wakeup attacks with fully charged trait)
F2, 2~grav pull MB, B3, ji2, 2,1~mine/drone/orbit strike/corpse charge (34 damage)

orbit strike MB, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~grav pull (37 damag)
orbit strike MB, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~drone (32 damage, drone pressure)
orbit strike MB, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~orbit strike (32 damage, unblockable on wrong wakeup) (possible reset with MB orbit strike)
orbit strike MB, ji3, 1,1, 1,1, u3~trait (hold charge) backdash (32 damage, backdash against wakeup attacks with fully charged trait)

Malec

Noob
Malec awesome job, I will try it them out later and add them.
if you have some problems to pull them off:
on the F2 combos, you have to be quick on the inputs, the F2 dosent launch that high

on the other 2 combo starter with the ji3 part:
as soon as you are able to jump after F3 / orbit strike MB, jump, wait a little bit until u start to fall down and then press the 3

just get a feel for the timing, but those combos work 100%, at least offline xD

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
if you have some problems to pull them off:
on the F2 combos, you have to be quick on the inputs, the F2 dosent launch that high

on the other 2 combo starter with the ji3 part:
as soon as you are able to jump after F3 / orbit strike MB, jump, wait a little bit until u start to fall down and then press the 3

just get a feel for the timing, but those combos work 100%, at least offline xD
Appreciate it, I didn't mean any offense by saying I wanted to try them first. I just like to double check things and also if there is any possibility to get more out of it. Great find though I wasn't getting anywhere with his corner.

Malec

Noob
Appreciate it, I didn't mean any offense by saying I wanted to try them first. I just like to double check things and also if there is any possibility to get more out of it. Great find though I wasn't getting anywhere with his corner.
haha i wasnt offended, seriously ^^ was just thinking about problems someone could have with the inputs/timing.
i appreciate your work man, the lex community is awesome so far and i love that char for having high potential and beeing underused/underrated. i always play those type of chars, i hate those mainstream coverboy chars.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
haha i wasnt offended, seriously ^^ was just thinking about problems someone could have with the inputs/timing.
i appreciate your work man, the lex community is awesome so far and i love that char for having high potential and beeing underused/underrated. i always play those type of chars, i hate those mainstream coverboy chars.
Lex community is great at helping, just wish we had more and maybe we could find some sick stuff, but I love him as is.

Still haven't tried your combos yet, but you would think Lex would have a sick corner game, but I find it pretty hard so far.