What's new

Let's Talk Commentating at Majors

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
I was just going, bringing up widely known references in our communtiyand having fun and trying to be insightful at the same time.

I did rag on Xenomorph a bit because he played a couple of his matches back to back and he was getting away with alot.
Constant YOLO lifts, mashing d2 --- you saw it and I definitely wanted the stream to know you can't get away with these things. Gimmicks are fine, but something that looks so effective that isnt...Some people don't know.
I understand that it may have been a little too much, but I chilled with Xenomorph from the moment he was eliminated until however long after and we joked about it.
He told me that he test people with that playstyle and if they do nothing about it, he continues. All of AK confirmed this with me.
So if Xenomorph had felt offended at the time, we hashed it out at Waffle House riding with Goomba and the "13th place squad"

What I need to do here is apologize again, publicly this time (since we've already spoken) to @HandySavage .
Here's our convo which is available on my profile page:

HandySavage:

Yo bro, if you got xbox i want to run a long set. You called me out on stream for being ass which is fine cause you 3-0'd me in casuals. then I played like a moron on stream, I against that scrub ass green latern.

1. Kitana Prime
    Wow. If I called you ass, it's because of the match with Xenomorph was hella sloppy on both fronts. I was like that during all of his matches, because alot of GL bullshit went unpunished. Though, if I used the word 'ass' directly, I apologize for that. I definitely dont want players in our community to feel I'm personally attacking them.
    Yesterday at 11:28 AM Delete

2. Kitana Prime
    Im on Xbox and I will play you in a set though, however many games, it's nothing personal. And I agree about GL, his yolo lifts and mashing d2 between everything is crazy. Maybe once you got on stream, pressure got to you. I certainly cant fault you for that. I feel everything you're saying and appreciate the honesty. I'll add you for sure.
    Yesterday at 11:28 AM Delete

3. Kitana Prime
    ...and dont stress casuals. Ever. Just use them for knowledge and find faults you can work on. The score doesnt matter.

1. HandySavage
      Nah I didn't take it personal. I just like to prove my worth.
      Yesterday at 11:39 AM Delete

2. Kitana Prime
      Got you. I have class today and Ill be on probably after 8 or so EST so just hit me up when you see me on
      Yesterday at 11:46 AM Delete

3. HandySavage

bet, appreciate you being chill​

Yoaks

A spaceman
Was that when I was on the mic?

This is the video with me and indecisive commentating. We did mention something about a shazam combo but I felt like it wasnt very long. That match just set me off for some reason because indecisive was being extra critical and you could simply hear it in his tone. I even told him at the end of the video that theres more to commentating thanjust being critical. With that point brought up, isnt that all tom brady does? Or at least use to do when the game first came out. remember that? Every other sentance was, he should have done this, he shouldnt have done that, optimal combo this.

What I think the whole point of this thread is to try to get us to become a little more positive, it's only gonna help up and not hurt us. It will make our community look good as a whole and could potentially open doors for us. It definitely wont close any.
It wasn't you Arma. It was Ronald Rogan and Indecisive right after that match. And it wasn't even during the next match like I said in my previous post. It was before it. Watching it over again it wasn't even that bad cause they weren't really arguing. I just found it a little annoying, but its no big deal. Sorry for the confusion.

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
Once again @HandySavage, it wasnt personal. I'd just grew tired of seeing unpunished GL shenanigans.
This isn't a shot at Xenomorph either, I'm just a competitor who loves watching the game at high levels.

Disclaimer: I don't consider myself greater than anyone, I'm just saying.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I just personally think letting guys on the mic is helping build this community, gives guys an extra something to look foward to, try out, experience, and I know when I was first grabbed to commentate, I sucked, but ill never forget it and it really made me appreciate majors. I will leave it to others because I dont want my stache to tickle the mic and make noises. But I know a bunch of guys that it really made their experience more enjoyable after say going 0-2 and not really knowing anybody, it helps bring the community together. Also with all this being said, your right in insults. If someone is blatantly derailing the game or player then we should say hey, get the f*@$ off.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Was that when I was on the mic?

This is the video with me and indecisive commentating. We did mention something about a shazam combo but I felt like it wasnt very long. That match just set me off for some reason because indecisive was being extra critical and you could simply hear it in his tone. I even told him at the end of the video that theres more to commentating thanjust being critical. With that point brought up, isnt that all tom brady does? Or at least use to do when the game first came out. remember that? Every other sentance was, he should have done this, he shouldnt have done that, optimal combo this.

What I think the whole point of this thread is to try to get us to become a little more positive, it's only gonna help up and not hurt us. It will make our community look good as a whole and could potentially open doors for us. It definitely wont close any.
Jaxel was particularly bad last night lol as well. Calling me a retard when I was playing Nidhogg when I was clearly messing around and not taking it seriously, just throwing swords and laughing hahaha. I don't really care at all (and LBSH, it's Jaxel... lol), but was listening and was like, really man? Really? I literally played this game for the first time 10 minutes before entering the tournament just for shits and giggles. Silly Jaxel... get on my level :p.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
This is my opinion. One day a couple a months ago I was at my mom's house during a tournament. Don't think it was a major, but it was dinner time. I had my laptop on the table. I couldn't enjoy the sound because who ever was commentating was saying a bunch of reckless shit. That's cool, but sometimes I'd appreciate if I can watch a tournament on stream with my little brother and not have to turn the volume off. Just something to consider. If It's a major I'd like no cusses or crude things being said. Keep it PG-13 in my opinion. This is coming from someone who's try's to watch every stream possible.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
It wasn't you Arma. It was Ronald Rogan and Indecisive right after that match. And it wasn't even during the next match like I said in my previous post. It was before it. Watching it over again it wasn't even that bad cause they weren't really arguing. I just found it a little annoying, but its no big deal. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry about that man. I'll work on it for next time. ;)

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I thought the commentary was great, for the most part. The only things I didn't like were the constant inside jokes that the overwhelming majority watching wouldn't get. It's very off putting. I was watching the stream with numerous people and I had to explain to them what they were talking about. Especially when it came to the JIM JIM JIM stuff with Flash. That and the loudness was very offputting and annoying. Some jokes seemed very forced.

Other than that, I thought it was great. There was some overlap when speaking (which happens, especially for two people who never worked together) and I think DMS says the name of strings a bit too much. That's just more of a pet peeve than anything.
I did the Jim chant on purpose to hype up GGA and get more people to watch. I explained the chant very clearly to the stream in Top 8 with Saucy so the new audience wouldn't feel left out. I am tired of turning on this awesome weekly every Thursday and seeing 100 people in the stream. I want more people to see the game for what it is, and not be left with a permanent taste of Superman mirrors and Black Adam Grand Finals. I also purposefully say the name of strings in commentary because it helped me learn half the casts' optimal BnB's when I didn't understand the game as much.

Delriach

Sindelly
I did the Jim chant on purpose to hype up GGA and get more people to watch. I explained the chant very clearly to the stream in Top 8 with Saucy so the new audience wouldn't feel left out. I am tired of turning on this awesome weekly every Thursday and seeing 100 people in the stream. I want more people to see the game for what it is, and not be left with a permanent taste of Superman mirrors and Black Adam Grand Finals. I also purposefully say the name of strings in commentary because it helped me learn half the casts' optimal BnB's when I didn't understand the game as much.
Oh, I get why you did it. I don't really have a problem with that. I just think it happened way too much and became more annoying than anything. I know I'm not the only one who commented on that. And we all do the string names. I can't think of a single person that isn't guilty of doing it. I know I do it all the time too. I think it's fine but maybe we should incorporate why the player is doing that string. That way viewers are like, okay, so he does F23 with Supes cause it's OP lol. You know what I mean.

And I do think it's a travesty that GGA gets such low numbers. I've thought of ways to help that. Maybe I should be more aggressive.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
Oh, I get why you did it. I don't really have a problem with that. I just think it happened way too much and became more annoying than anything. I know I'm not the only one who commented on that. And we all do the string names. I can't think of a single person that isn't guilty of doing it. I know I do it all the time too. I think it's fine but maybe we should incorporate why the player is doing that string. That way viewers are like, okay, so he does F23 with Supes cause it's OP lol. You know what I mean.

And I do think it's a travesty that GGA gets such low numbers. I've thought of ways to help that. Maybe I should be more aggressive.

Aggressive? You played Sindel in MK9. #Kappa #21mixups

I kid I kid. Thats awesome that you have ideas.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf

Eh, understandable, but speaking as a Stream Monster, we like recurring themes that we can all get behind, like Lee Chung's "HA HA!" or ....any of Yipes' catchphrases, and I figured the Jim chant would stick with people and leave them wanting more. I explained several times that Forever King does certain combos and opts for damage instead of standing resets like @DarthArma . It really resonates with people who aren't as into the game as we are. Like "Oh cool, they play the same character, but do different things for different reasons", ie Pig and Dave.

As for helping GGA's numbers, please do. They put too much work into such an excellent production to have such abysmal numbers.
I will harass Eventhubs until they get their own front page article.

Delriach

Sindelly
Eh, understandable, but speaking as a Stream Monster, we like recurring themes that we can all get behind, like Lee Chung's "HA HA!" or ....any of Yipes' catchphrases, and I figured the Jim chant would stick with people and leave them wanting more. I explained several times that Forever King does certain combos and opts for damage instead of standing resets like @DarthArma . It really resonates with people who aren't as into the game as we are. Like "Oh cool, they play the same character, but do different things for different reasons", ie Pig and Dave.

As for helping GGA's numbers, please do. They put too much work into such an excellent production to have such abysmal numbers.
When I used to write for SRK I wanted to push GGA streams. I got lucky once when we were doing the MK stream at GGA when Slips was fighting all the GGA members in the MK-style ladder. That was only because it was a unique thing. Sadly, not all stuff can get front paged there because other scenes would get mad if their steam wasn't on there too. And you can't post every stream or else it gets cluttered. And there's no good way to filter that stuff without it being complicated or being accused to picking favorites.

And I did notice the Forever King thing. It was very nice to highlight. I think that's the kind of stuff that made me like the commentary so much. Like I said, I only have a few nitpicks :p

Last edited:

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
When I used to write for SRK I wanted to push GGA streams. But for whatever reason those types of streams are not front pageable. I got lucky once when we were doing the MK stream at GGA when Slips was fighting all the GGA members in the MK-style ladder. That was only because it was a unique thing. It sucks writing about something you care a lot about just for it to get shot down.

And I did notice the Forever King thing. It was very nice to highlight. I think that's the kind of stuff that made me like the commentary so much. Like I said, I only have a few nitpicks :p
I read you loud and clear, and will do my best to improve. Also, I'd love to commentate UFGT with you if you'll have me.

Delriach

Sindelly
I read you loud and clear, and will do my best to improve. Also, I'd love to commentate UFGT with you if you'll have me.
Are you going? That would be pretty awesome. I think we would work well with each other actually. I'm thinking about going to SCR too. I really want to just to support the fact that MK is going to be there.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Are you going? That would be pretty awesome. I think we would work well with each other actually. I'm thinking about going to SCR too. I really want to just to support the fact that MK is going to be there.
I will most likely be at both. @GGA 16 Bit @GGA HAN Have you guys confirmed an independent Injustice stream with Keits yet?

This is coming from the professional stream monster. Not sure what it means, but let it be known, DMS is all stream monsters rolled into a real human being who attends alot of events.

#FuckThe2dIlluminati

NurzBenny

Old Member
More commentators the better. I like all the unique perspectives from players of all kinds, top and not so top. @Emperor DMS was prob my favorite thing about KIT, and I liked alot of things about KIT.