What's new

Let's Talk Commentating at Majors

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
It was a general warning to everyone with an additional one to the person who stands out the most.

Would you be willing to put your life savings or your personal future on the line that you could moderate better than many of the experienced moderators here? You think that by attempting to run me off by insulting me like that, that I will STOP moderating? Wrong, I'll moderate harder, and if that means the hammer comes down, then it comes down, and everyone will have you to thank for it.

Please think before you just drop blanket statements like that. Maybe its possible that some thought went into the way I moderate. I find it insulting that you would assume anything else, ESPECIALLY because you don't know me on any level beyond this forum. I expect a certain level of civility, and I ONLY come out of my cave when I feel I need to, and this thread warranted it.
My future and my life savings on a video game forum? No bueno. And if you felt disrespected then my bad. I know you do a lot for this community and have seen your charity cancer streams, I would never mean to show disrespect to a person that spends there time doing something like that. I was just pointing out that others probably deserved a warning too. But whatever and maybe you should "come out of your cave" more often then, because I've seen people get away with worse then what Jupiter was saying on this site without a warning. But again, no disrespect was intended so lets move along I think @Vandy showed everyone what they needed to see so I see no point with these arguments anymore. Again no disrespect to you at all.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Also im sorry that you had to deal with That Arma. Thank you for putting me in my place and telling me to stop. It is much appreciated. Im still learning this whole commentary thing and you have helped me a lot since when i first started.
As someone who has tried his hand at commentary(locals and regionals mainly) it can be really difficult. It is also super easy to be critical of someone who plays your main because you know so much about that character, so I dont blame you for doing that.

Noob
My future and my life savings on a video game forum? No bueno. And if you felt disrespected then my bad. I know you do a lot for this community and have seen your charity cancer streams, I would never mean to show disrespect to a person that spends there time doing something like that. I was just pointing out that others probably deserved a warning too. But whatever and maybe you should "come out of your cave" more often then, because I've seen people get away with worse then what Jupiter was saying on this site without a warning. But again, no disrespect was intended so lets move along I think @Vandy showed everyone what they needed to see so I see no point with these arguments anymore. Again no disrespect to you at all.
I sent you a PM about it, I have moderated my post (yes, I moderate myself, LOL) because I was overly harsh. I apologize for that.

pherleece

Woolay
im done with this thread because inb4 getting banned for having an opinion .
Amazing how everyone that posted in here are sharing their opinions but you're the only one who was warned for being banned.. hmmm its like if we were at a tournament and you stunk and everyone told you that you did, you would say we arr all full of shit and not just man up

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
So @Vandy has basically laid out a very good standard that we should be working towards bringing commentary up to. I like the exchange of info/ideas going between commentators in here, despite the personal warzone in between. I think between streamers/commentators rules and regulations can be adjusted as necessary to suit everyone's needs. Hopefully this can be accomplished with no disrespectful behavior and still keep things exciting. I just watched Kumite top 8. That was hype, and very informative.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
Every week I compete at GBS and get blown up by @GGA 16 Bit and @ImNewbieSauce aka Saucy Jack even when I WIN. You have to learn how to have thick skin not just in this community, but in any FGC.
That kind of shit is fine for locals, but you'll never. EVER. Catch UltraDavid or James Chen trashing the way someone plays so blatantly.

They'll say something like "This player is using d2 very liberally and it's costing him" instead of "LOOK AT THIS SCRUB LOL D2 MORE FGT"

There's a reason why the Street Fighter community has dedicated commentary - they're not biased, they're educated, they're well spoken and they're not a couple of aspies with no personality IE the commentary for KI at KIT.

NRS community needs dedicated Major Tournament commentary and by "dedicated" I mean they aren't competing and they love the game.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
That kind of shit is fine for locals, but you'll never. EVER. Catch UltraDavid or James Chen trashing the way someone plays so blatantly.

They'll say something like "This player is using d2 very liberally and it's costing him" instead of "LOOK AT THIS SCRUB LOL D2 MORE FGT"

There's a reason why the Street Fighter community has dedicated commentary - they're not biased, they're educated, they're well spoken and they're not a couple of aspies with no personality IE the commentary for KI at KIT.

NRS community needs dedicated Major Tournament commentary and by "dedicated" I mean they aren't competing and they love the game.
I don't think the commentary ever gets that bad, but I can't say for certain.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
This aint MLG days anymore fellas, we aint getting paid, were paying, and some of us are paying to have a good time. If the stream chat shouldnt interfere with commentary whats the point? there only certain people watching, called the viewers. Its nice to feed off of that. Blow ups and insults are the community lbsh. And im bringing TTG back, hold that sh!# thread.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
As someone who has tried his hand at commentary(locals and regionals mainly) it can be really difficult. It is also super easy to be critical of someone who plays your main because you know so much about that character, so I dont blame you for doing that.
That was the First time i ever commentated another Shazam Player. It was hard because ever time he did something that would have done different i criticized it. So i may avoid Commentating other Shazam players and just help them out in the Match instead.

NightwingDayZero

This aint MLG days anymore fellas
That doesn't mean, we the scene, shouldn't conduct ourselves professionally.

There's a difference between hype and fake hype. Hype was Tyrant's comeback against Theo at NEC. Hype was when Reno's wakeup slide invuln'd through the Atlantis interactable to win the match. Max vs. Forever King was hype.

Yelling "HOLD THAT SHIT GET THE FUCK OUT" every time someone connects with a MB b3 is stupid and annoying.

Look at the Smash commentary at Apex 2014 and tell me that's not something to aspire to.

Noob
Ok, general warning here to everyone.

Please step away from the @EMPEROR_JUPITER / @CrimsonShadow stuff. It's a private matter between them and if they choose to handle it privately, they will.

I'm serious, leave any comments toward them and their issues out of this thread and keep the thread on track.

Thanks everyone.

This aint MLG days anymore fellas, we aint getting paid, were paying, and some of us are paying to have a good time. If the stream chat shouldnt interfere with commentary whats the point? there only certain people watching, called the viewers. Its nice to feed off of that. Blow ups and insults are the community lbsh. And im bringing TTG back, hold that sh!# thread.
I think this post just ignited a civil war....I can feel it! The cries for what certain warriors call freedom. I passion worth dying for!

I feel conflicted, unsure, and confused!

NOT GAY SEX

yeah

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
That doesn't mean, we the scene, shouldn't conduct ourselves professionally.

There's a difference between hype and fake hype. Hype was Tyrant's comeback against Theo at NEC. Hype was when Reno's wakeup slide invuln'd through the Atlantis interactable to win the match. Max vs. Forever King was hype.

Yelling "HOLD THAT SHIT GET THE FUCK OUT" every time someone connects with a MB b3 is stupid and annoying.

Look at the Smash commentary at Apex 2014 and tell me that's not something to aspire to.
first off, @AK Reno_Racks and his WU slides are f@#ing godlike. Secondly, the smash community..................

NightwingDayZero

Secondly, the smash community..................
Is single handedly responsible for keeping SuperArcade open? has more entrants at one major than NRS community has in three? are playing a game from 2005 whereas the NRS community drops their 2010 title like a bad habit after a few short years?

Any of the above how you were going to complete that sentence?

I'm not ashamed to say it - the Smash community is incredible. The drive, the commitment and the passion that the Smash community has for their game is nothing for anyone to laugh at.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Is single handedly responsible for keeping SuperArcade open? has more entrants at one major than NRS community has in three? are playing a game from 2005 whereas the NRS community drops MK like a bad habit after a few short years?

Any of the above how you were going to complete that sentence?

I'm not ashamed to say it - the Smash community is incredible. The drive, the commitment and the passion that the Smash community has for their game is nothing for anyone to laugh at.
Agreed with everything said here, I'm still pissed about MK9 being dropped so quickly especially when we still have awesome rivalries that live on. The smash community out numbers ours like 5-1 too, which hopefully can change, if we learn to play 2 games at once. It is awesome what they have done for a game that would be dead in our community in a long long time ago. Now if only they were as hygienic as us then they would be a perfect FGC :p.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Then maybe we should be focusing on the passion and drive for the game rather than commentary, and I believe the tournament play ittself has been doing that for the past couple tournaments. Before DTN the game seemed it was heading in a REALLY bad direction. Sabin backing us and getting that many viewers built hype going into APEX building even more hype into KIT which was icing on the damn cake, now were sitting here wanting more. Lets build on that rather than worry about who says what about who and where. We have Winterbrawl, FR, and Civil lined up back to back, gaaawd damn this is about to get real. Sidenote, the only real way to find commentators is to let them try. See what works. I AM A TERRIBLE COMMENTATOR, im a mustache and racism waiting to happen. But KIT had amazing commentary shoutouts to DMS and Saucey.

NightwingDayZero

Then maybe we should be focusing on the passion and drive for the game rather than commentary, and I believe the tournament play ittself has been doing that for the past couple tournaments.
Let the players focus on the gameplay. Let the commentators focus on highlighting how they're playing, why they're playing the way they are and discussing the player's decision making. NOTE: I said DISCUSSING not CRITICIZING.

For example: Aris always used sub-optimal combos. Everyone always blew him up for it. His reasoning was that he preferred the easier execution and guaranteed damage. Very rarely was this brought up in commentary.

Before DTN the game seemed it was heading in a REALLY bad direction. Sabin backing us and getting that many viewers built hype going into APEX building even more hype into KIT which was icing on the damn cake, now were sitting here wanting more.
LBSH prior to NEC the game was on its way out

Lets build on that rather than worry about who says what about who and where.
There's always room for improvement and I think it's not only acceptable but imperative for the community to reflect on itself in order to promote growth.

gaaawd damn this is about to get real. Sidenote, the only real way to find commentators is to let them try. See what works. I AM A TERRIBLE COMMENTATOR, im a mustache and racism waiting to happen. But KIT had amazing commentary shoutouts to DMS and Saucey.
You're a funny dude and you always pop off with something from fucking left field, I love it. Your kind of commentary is perfect for casuals or for locals, but if we want to present Injustice in a good light we need to have commentators who are capable of expressing their player analysis in a way that highlights the best of the community. We need our own UltraChen.