What's new

Let's Talk Commentating at Majors

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I didn't really listen to the commentary at KIT, but I'm an inexperienced player trying to break into high level play and if I heard people making fun of me (not respectfully criticizing my mistakes) in the stream archives I would be hurt and disheartened. I wouldn't quit or anything, but when you're trying to build your confidence, those things hinder you no matter who you are.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is a very interesting discussion.

@Delriach and @Emperor DMS the deal is that we need a network for promotion. Right now it's every stream for itself, rather than everyone cooperating.

Think about how a TV guide shows you what's on every channel and when.. Right now an average person has no idea when to tune in or what the connection between /gallopingghostarcade and /atlantakombat is.

If you can pool viewers then you can direct them all in one direction or the other when its time.

I have a ton of ideas like this and the tools to execute them and advertise to a broader audience via social media. Also to construct web tools to help unify the viewing community. But when people don't understand the importance of outside contributions (rather than just playing) it makes you question whether its worth the effort sometimes.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
This is a very interesting discussion.

@Delriach and @Emperor DMS the deal is that we need a network for promotion. Right now it's every stream for itself, rather than everyone cooperating.

Think about how a TV guide shows you what's on every channel and when.. Right now an average person has no idea when to tune in or what the connection between /gallopingghostarcade and /atlantakombat is.

If you can pool viewers then you can direct them all in one direction or the other when its time.

I have a ton of ideas like this and the tools to execute them and advertise to a broader audience via social media. Also to construct web tools to help unify the efforts. But when people don't understand the importance of outside contributions (rather than just playing) it makes you question whether its worth the effort sometimes.
I use this directory to join every live stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/team/fgcpros

And I recently got GGA added to this:

http://www.eventhubs.com/streams/

The issue is that most casuals only read what's publicized on front page articles, and we need to try harder to be in those articles or get one of our own to write them.

My personal requirements for good commentary.

1. Do they love the game they are commentating?
2. Are they entertaining?
3. Are they knowledgeable?
4. Are they part of our community?
5. Are they professional?

In that order.

And of course KIT commentary delivered that.

If you give me a professional sounding person, but he doesn't know what's going on I could care less.