What's new

Let's Talk Commentating at Majors

Noob
This needs to come to an end, immediately.

As a streamer, one thing you get used to is people being overly vulgar. You learn to turn them off and not invite them back. See, when you're a streamer and you have sponsors, they expect your stream to be respectable and to represent them in a positive way.

Calling people out is one thing. I agree that commentary can be funny and sometimes less than serious. HOWEVER, it is my experience that the stream chat should NEVER dictate how the commentators call a game.

Commentators should, first and foremost pay attention to the match at hand and commentate it. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be commentating.

There is always filler time. If you're in between matches, you can address the chat and talk off topic.

There is a time and place for call outs and blow ups. On stream during a blow up, of course it's ok...within reason as long as you're not insulting someone. There is a difference between insulting someone and calling them out for not living up to something they said or for not playing up to their ability.

@EMPEROR_JUPITER The way you're talking to people in here is simply unacceptable. EVERYONE should take note that due to your actions, I am watching this thread and I DO NOT give people much leeway. You're on a short leash and very close to a short vacation.

Everyone else please be aware that I am just as willing to hand out vacations for inappropriate behavior.

KEEP IT CIVIL.

zaf

professor
The commentary was very solid at KIT. No one will deny that the top 8 for inj was a great job done. But with anything that people do, there will always be room for improvement. Always.
Crimson is not the type of person to bring things up for nothing, or to hate on people. I am sure that he is bringing this up, because he wants to continue to see our commentators do great jobs.
He also mentioned that it was not just KIT, but other tournaments in the past. That watching KIT is just what has given him the motivation to make the thread.

I see no reason for anyone to jump on crimson, or call him stupid etc. That is really not needed. If you are trying to blow him up in this thread or say this thread is stupid in general, then you are missing the bigger picture here.

Show me once where he said the commentary sucked, was bad or anything of that sort. Because he has not said that at all. That is not even remotely close to what he has said.
He has made a few small critiques about the commentary. Now with this information out there, our commentators can continue to grow.

@EMPEROR_JUPITER ...man, you should really be a bit more respectful when you talk to people. It does NOTHING for you to speak to people the way you do. It does you more harm then good. You may be a good player in inj, but at the end of the day it gives you no right to speak to people with such a lack of disrespect. Whether it be a mod or not, you need to knock it off.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
This needs to come to an end, immediately.

As a streamer, one thing you get used to is people being overly vulgar. You learn to turn them off and not invite them back. See, when you're a streamer and you have sponsors, they expect your stream to be respectable and to represent them in a positive way.

Calling people out is one thing. I agree that commentary can be funny and sometimes less than serious. HOWEVER, it is my experience that the stream chat should NEVER dictate how the commentators call a game.

Commentators should, first and foremost pay attention to the match at hand and commentate it. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be commentating.

There is always filler time. If you're in between matches, you can address the chat and talk off topic.

There is a time and place for call outs and blow ups. On stream during a blow up, of course it's ok...within reason as long as you're not insulting someone. There is a difference between insulting someone and calling them out for not living up to something they said or for not playing up to their ability.

@EMPEROR_JUPITER The way you're talking to people in here is simply unacceptable. EVERYONE should take note that due to your actions, I am watching this thread and I DO NOT give people much leeway. You're on a short leash and very close to a short vacation.

Everyone else please be aware that I am just as willing to hand out vacations for inappropriate behavior.

KEEP IT CIVIL.
95% of people in this thread are being extremely uncivil, yet you only warn one person. #TYMModerationLogic

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
For what it's worth, I think James Chen is an amazing commentator and has a perfect blend of genuine excitement and restrained professionalism.

If anyone watched him do Melee at Evo, or follow UltraChen broadcasts, you'd know how much work he put into preparation for Melee, a game he was very unfamiliar with. I thought he did a very admirable job with it, considering, and his approach to it to do it justice was excellent. A good role model for FGC commentary IMO.

Also, if people have never heard Tasteless and Artosis commentate, you need to check them out. They're the gods of game commentary (again imo).

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
95% of people in this thread are being extremely uncivil, yet you only warn one person. #TYMModerationLogic
Name them. Sorry that your brother is bringing a personal issue he has with the thread creator into a thread that has nothing to do with it.

zaf

professor
Actually not really. I have read all of this thread 95% is not uncivil.
If you look back on this thread, it was really only jupiter.
Maybe two others not being civil too, but mainly jupiter.
Even when he is responding to someone, look at the manner he is doing it in.

Vagrant

Noob
KI commentary was awful from what I watched. Had to hear this guy (whoever the two were that did the commentary for grand finals) talk on and on about how he doesn't think sabrewulf is fair during every SW match. And can we please stop trying to summarize each character 3 months into the game?

Keep those opinions out of commentary. It just encourages other new players to take on the same approach of "blame anything but me". There was misinformation all over the place and very little actual substance. Just call the match dude.

It's not going to change, I know that.
The FGC mindset and the popularity of streaming will just perpetuate the cycle even more. But I just wanted to bitch about it real quick lol.

Vandy

Kumite!
This was posted at the commentary table at KiT. I hope the commentators saw/read it!

KiT 14 Commentator Guide

Thank you for helping us with our stream commentary. We love hype and enthusiasm! You can “do your thing” on stream while providing the viewers with insightful information on the game and tactful opinions of how the players are performing.

That said we wish to keep our streams positive and clean. We want to present a professional look to the community. Here are a few ground rules you must adhere to while on stream at KiT 14:
1. Cursing is prohibited. If you “let one slip” please apologize for it.
2. Bashing the game or the players is not allowed. Insightful information about how the player is performing relative to their normal level is fine, but words like “terrible”, “sucks”, and “scrub” are not tolerated when describing either the player or the game itself.
3. Racist, sexist, or any otherwise bigoted remarks have no place on stream. This is zero tolerance.
4. We want to highlight the games, the players, and the tournament so please do not stray too far off topic.

Failure to adhere to these rules may lead to being asked off of the stream at the discretion of the streamer, game director, or tournament organizer.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
KI commentary was awful from what I watched. Had to hear this guy (whoever the two were that did the commentary for grand finals) talk on and on about how he doesn't think sabrewulf is fair during every SW match. And can we please stop trying to summarize each character 3 months into the game?

Keep those opinions out of commentary. It just encourages other new players to take on the same approach of "blame anything but me". There was misinformation all over the place and very little actual substance. Just call the match dude.

It's not going to change, I know that.
The FGC mindset and the popularity of streaming will just perpetuate the cycle even more. But I just wanted to bitch about it real quick lol.
This reminds me of when Gamerbee won SEA against Xian all the while the commentators were saying how unfair and braindead Adon was.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Actually not really. I have read all of this thread 95% is not uncivil.
If you look back on this thread, it was really only jupiter.
Maybe two others not being civil too, but mainly jupiter.
Even when he is responding to someone, look at the manner he is doing it in.
@Killphil (tagging you since you both quoted me on the same post) 95% was obviously overkill I'm biased just like everyone else in this thread. We just have to deal with it.

zaf

professor
This was posted at the commentary table at KiT. I hope the commentators saw/read it!

KiT 14 Commentator Guide

Thank you for helping us with our stream commentary. We love hype and enthusiasm! You can “do your thing” on stream while providing the viewers with insightful information on the game and tactful opinions of how the players are performing.

That said we wish to keep our streams positive and clean. We want to present a professional look to the community. Here are a few ground rules you must adhere to while on stream at KiT 14:
1. Cursing is prohibited. If you “let one slip” please apologize for it.
2. Bashing the game or the players is not allowed. Insightful information about how the player is performing relative to their normal level is fine, but words like “terrible”, “sucks”, and “scrub” are not tolerated when describing either the player or the game itself.
3. Racist, sexist, or any otherwise bigoted remarks have no place on stream. This is zero tolerance.
4. We want to highlight the games, the players, and the tournament so please do not stray too far off topic.

Failure to adhere to these rules may lead to being asked off of the stream at the discretion of the streamer, game director, or tournament organizer.

So basically everything crimson has just highlighted in his main post, was actually on a piece of paper for people to see?

@EMPEROR_JUPITER @LanceMonsoon

Could this merely just be a coincidence?

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I thought the commentary was great, I don't see the point of this thread at all, why not message the commentators you had problems with and address it to them personally, instead of making a thread blowing them up? You are basically doing the same thing you don't want them to do, which is talk down to people. Kitana Prime, Saucy Jack, DMS, 16bit all were great IMO and funny. Idk mano but you know this thread won't go anywhere because nobody takes you seriously and I doubt any of the commentators really care what you have to say about them. So stop bitching and maybe you can try to do a better job if you ever go to an offline event.
Actually messaging the commentors isnt terrible. I have been messaged before about my commentary. And people have talked to me about what i need to improve on. I think people doing that is great. I would love if people told me what i need to do to imrpove commentary like they tell me how to imrpove my actual game. And i dont mean saying you suck get off of the mic. Like an example would be when i was commentating Grr Vs Ronald Rogan i did a terrible job. Arma pointed out to me off of the mic what i should do and i was okay with that. i also went up to Ronald Rogan for how bad i did commentating the match. So i feel like giving newer commentators suggestions is a good thing.

zaf

professor
@Killphil (tagging you since you both quoted me on the same post) 95% was obviously overkill I'm biased just like everyone else in this thread. We just have to deal with it.
I understand that you are obviously exaggerating the fact of the thread. However at the SAME TIME you are exaggerating and you are calling mods out on your own bullshit.

You see how stupid this looks right?

If people like you were to be mods, we would be stuck in a world like the one in the movie Idiocracy.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Can only comment on the top 8 commentary (not a pun) as that's all I've watched so far but it was good. I didn't get some of the in-jokes but then the commentators actually explained them (Jim Jim Jim Jim Jim...) which helped the dirty scene casuals like myself actually feel "included".

I turned off Tekken after 5 minutes after hearing a random kitchen/sandwich/ass reference made about one of the characters in the opening matches. I mean, it was Tekken so I was going to turn off anyway (combo bounce tag combo win), but it was still a low point after the really good top-8 commentary. I have no problem if people want to be "edgy" on the mic but at least be original lol.
I am a fan of professional commentating (no cursing, no scrub callouts etc...), with hype backstories.

Professional commentating and Hype Commentating are not mutually exclusive entities as some might have you believe. They can both be done at the same time tactfully, and when it happens, it is awesome.

I don't mind saltfests to much as long as it isn't distracting.

The one thing I can't stand is any commentating that is disrespectful to women/condones violence. Pisses me off, leave that shit to the tekken community and Aris. Disgusting really...

Edit: I do think in general KiT commentary was overall quite good. The tournament itself was one of the best I have ever seen via spectator mode

Last edited:

Vandy

Kumite!
So basically everything crimson has just highlighted in his main post, was actually on a piece of paper for people to see?

@EMPEROR_JUPITER @LanceMonsoon

Could this merely just be a coincidence?
Yes.

The idea was for the streamers to have each commentator read it before getting on. It was taped to the table in direct view of the commentators. Whether they looked down at it I don't know I was too busy doing other things. And I really cannot blame panda or any of the other streamer if they did not enforce it as they were extremely busy with....streaming.