What's new

Let's Talk Commentating at Majors

Flagg

Noob
It didn't you just don't know what a good analogy is, actually post something intelligent and then it might go over my head but not simpleton things like you are saying. We just aren't on the same page and if taking a jab at me helps you feel better about losing a debate, then like my pal @trustinme would say "enjoy yourself"
Lol you know nothing about me and for someone that claims people should nut up your posts are very defensive.

Your brother won a major and you both grew testicles as a result. Congratulations.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Lol you know nothing about me and for someone that claims people should nut up your posts are very defensive.

Your brother won a major and you both grew testicles as a result. Congratulations.
I know that when losing a debate you attack someones intelligence which isn't a good look mano. And it was a regional not a major, get your facts straight.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
@CrimsonShadow WITH ALL DUE OF DISRESPECT SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! .. WHOS GETTING PAID TO BE A COMMENTATOR?
PUT PPL ON BLAST
YES YOU CAN FRIENDLY TALK AND YES YOU CAN SALTY TALK . EITHER WAY.. FUCK IT JUST TALK !! I JUST HOPE YOU DNT BE A COMMENTATOR . WHO WANTS TO HEAR NICE SHIT ALL DAY !!! BRING THE SALT,BRING THE CALL OUTS , SHOW THEM TEARS, SHADOW THIS COMMUNITY
IS NOT FOR YOU . CARE BEARS COMMUNITY AWAITS YOU !!!

AND WHOEVER AGREES WITH THIS CARE BEAR WILL ANSWER TO ME!!! AND YOU WILL JOIN HIM AS WELL.. how your name crimsonshadow amd you a fucking care bear
there are carebears in outworld ???:eek:

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Crimsonshadow has a background of "throwing the stone and then hiding behind a tree", a think he has a beef with a GGA guy(s), I remember a thread like this during the VXG tournament, I expose him but he deleted all my posts with stupid excuses, IIRC he tried to blow up 16bit.
Crimson is supportive of GGA. Hes an EC guy but watches GGA streams a lot and generally likes us from what I've seen.

On the topic of crimsonshadow, you can blow him up for not going to events, but he is an important figure in the MKC. He is not a player or TO, but a supporter and facilitator.

Some of his resume off the top of my head:
1. Frequently donates for top player to make it to events and other charity things
2. Helps maintain the site which the tournament NRS scene uses to communicate
3. If I remember correctly, single handedly helped the Terry bros go to SCR last year after their plans fell through
4. Held an interview with hector at PAX before injustice came out about the game and showed a bunch of info that was not previously known
5. Ordered Tom Brady pizza once

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Btw, for whoever said the only really good commentary was MLG and EVO, those were the only 2 tournaments I know of where the commentators were paid for their services. In these grassroots majors, it's whoever is around. Probably 5% of players are good at commentary, and sometimes they are in a pool, playing another game, etc. So, you sometimes get stuck with someone who isn't good. Check out KI commentary for example lol
Hey Dizzy, for sure. But I think Delriach and Medina were chosen to be paid for EVO for other reasons as well.. They could have paid anyone, but those two guys are both class acts and really do a great job of being professional when it counts.

Likewise for 9.95 Phil.

I know that some people said that the EVO commentary was "boring", and asked "why not this guy or that guy", but a lot of people missed why D&M were selected in the first place. This issue came up with regard to getting a separate stream for NRS games at UFGT, and I vouched for GGA because I love you guys and I think it'd be awesome. I'm not sure how aware people are that these TOs of the bigger events are watching streams other than their own tournaments; they see things and they make decisions based on them.

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
I was wondering if this thread would be made. Rumors circulate, and I have been told that a few people were displeased with my commentary, specifically during xenomorphs matches. I cannot speak for the other commentators, but Im guessing this is mostly aimed at me for KiT.

I will say that I have spoken to xenomorph, and unless something has changed, he understood that it was tongue in cheek, and that I actually very much love his Green Lantern and it's yolo play style. The Ghandi references were because GLs D2 literally looks like a Dragon Punch. Xeno and I had a laugh about it, and if the player is not offended, I don't know what else to say.

I did allow my language to slip on two (I believe, dont quote me) occasions. That IS something I wish I would not have done. I will take that criticism and not dispute it. I was mad at myself at the time for doing it, and Im still unhappy I did it now.

There are many "inside jokes" that come out in commentary, and I think that's fine. Personal opinion. My counter arguments would simply be that a) much of the community already knows them and b) those that don't can now learn them and choose for themselves whether to use them or not. I personally do not recall a time where we left an inside joke without explanation, or it left viewers without match knowledge.

Everyones commentary style is different. Some funny, some serious, some play by play, some trolly, etc. I don't see anything wrong with that. I like that we are not cookie cutter. If at any point a streamer or TO asks me to get off the mic, I will. That is their choice.

Overall via twitter, PM, FB, etc, the response to my commentary has been overwhelmingly positive, and Im thankful for the support I have. For the few negative critics, I thank you as well. I won't get better without input from both sides.
Re: inside jokes since I was the one who brought it up, that's what I meant. They're no longer inside jokes because most know the context or what they mean so it's fine. Plus, it's funny. Commentating professionally doesn't mean you always have to be serious. For what it's worth, I thought you two did a fine job. Plus, considering your training partner was in GF, you were doing a good job at being fair/unbiased.

pherleece

Woolay
@EMPEROR_JUPITER
First of all TYM is ass on mobile, thats why I dont really quote things all the time and it easy to fuck up writing a post so thanks for pointing it out. Secondly that status update doesnt mean im ragmiing cause of people here in TYM, I get caught up in the stupid posts on here and thats really it. Also thanks for responding with no actual input to why I even say anything to you.

You remind me at people at my job. Everyone starts out cool, then they get promoted and become arrogant assholes. Before you won any local or regional you were pretty cool. Ever since you won I see you just talking shit and not even contributing to the conversation.

Lastly you shouldnt call someone butt hurt when you're obviously still butthurt from CS calling you a random.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
nature of the beast people , its fighting game players grammar not that they are bashing him FREE ,TRASH ,GHANDI etc .
he trains with other players i assume yes well then he should be able to convert a d2 into a combo
i guarantee you he was on a stream chat at some stage bashing some other player ghandi'ing his way through pools .
stream chats be stream chats yo!!!
STOP GETTING SO OFFENDED

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
@EMPEROR_JUPITER
First of all TYM is ass on mobile, thats why I dont really quote things all the time and it easy to fuck up writing a post so thanks for pointing it out. Secondly that status update doesnt mean im ragmiing cause of people here in TYM, I get caught up in the stupid posts on here and thats really it. Also thanks for responding with no actual input to why I even say anything to you.

You remind me at people at my job. Everyone starts out cool, then they get promoted and become arrogant assholes. Before you won any local or regional you were pretty cool. Ever since you won I see you just talking shit and not even contributing to the conversation.

Lastly you shouldnt call someone butt hurt when you're obviously still butthurt from CS calling you a random.
its safe to say you havent been promoted yet.

coolwhip

Noob
I think if the issue is one particular comment made that may have offended a player, then it shouldn't be generalized to "the commentary was bad." A few F-Bombs, while unfortunate, will slip here and there. You put a mic in front of any of us for 4 hours and we're all bound to say something stupid at one point or another. A negative remark about a player and a few expletives shouldn't overshadow what was, in general, very solid commentary.

Delriach

Sindelly
For sure. But I think Delriach and Medina were chosen to be paid for EVO for other reasons as well.. They could have paid anyone, but those two guys are both class acts and really do a great job of being professional when it counts.

Likewise for 9.95 Phil.

I know that some people said that the EVO commentary was "boring", and asked "why not this guy or that guy", but a lot of people missed why they were selected in the first place. This issue came up with regard to getting a separate stream for NRS games at UFGT, and I vouched for GGA because I love you guys and I think it'd be awesome. But people need to realize that these TOs of the bigger events are watching streams other than their own tournaments; they see things and the make decisions based on them.
Yeah, we were paid for commentary. Part of it is that they liked our previous commentary from other tournaments. For me, I know I at least had to provide them examples of my commentary. And then during/after Evo me and Medina were told that they really liked our work. Which is why we were on stream for the majority of the time. Medina was actually going to do commentary with Ultradavid at Evo for finals but he gave up the opportunity because he knew it meant a lot to me and figured I knew the game more (which was true from a technical standpoint). We worked really hard that weekend. Constant note taking. Research. A lot of back and forth with Medina and Ultradavid to make sure we could inform people and give players all the respect they deserved. I learned a lot too at the same time. Was fun times.

I think one big problem with commentary for a lot of people is that they are mashed between commentary and playing the game. That kind of overlap sucks, especially when certain personalities get emo and take it out on stream when they commentate. It's happened way too many times. I think constant shuffling of commentary can be bad too since so many people have different styles. I was pretty relaxed at Frosty since it was just a local but I would have preferred if people didn't keep coming in and out. It really throws things off since people commentate differently and work better with some people but not all.

Last edited:

Flagg

Noob
nature of the beast people , its fighting game players grammar not that they are bashing him FREE ,TRASH ,GHANDI etc .
he trains with other players i assume yes well then he should be able to convert a d2 into a combo
i guarantee you he was on a stream chat at some stage bashing some other player ghandi'ing his way through pools .
stream chats be stream chats yo!!!
STOP GETTING SO OFFENDED
Lol stream does bring out the worst in people. Tomlulzbrady completely cracks me up.

haketh

Noob
This carebeart shit shit is fucking stupid, these Emperor guys are hella Goon.

CS is right when you're on the mic at a Regional or Major and you don't know how to commentate without belittling people you really shouldn't be on the mic because all that does is turn people off from the community. Yeah some people aren't good but they still came out, they supported, they wanted to compete and that should be respected.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Crimson is supportive of GGA. Hes an EC guy but watches GGA streams a lot and generally likes us from what I've seen.

On the topic of crimsonshadow, you can blow him up for not going to events, but he is an important figure in the MKC. He is not a player or TO, but a supporter and facilitator.

Some of his resume off the top of my head:
1. Frequently donates for top player to make it to events and other charity things
2. Helps maintain the site which the tournament NRS scene uses to communicate
3. If I remember correctly, single handedly helped the Terry bros go to SCR last year after their plans fell through
4. Held an interview with hector at PAX before injustice came out about the game and showed a bunch of info that was not previously known
5. Ordered Tom Brady pizza once
I didn't say he isn't supportive and I didn't blo him up for not going at events, and I'm glad he is supportive of GGA, but about that thing about VXG i'm not lying, sadly there are no posts from me on that thread because he deleted all of them, even one from Cat that agree about him trying to blow 16bit, I remember that. And it sounds good that he ordered a pizza to Tom Brady, but when I read the thread about that guy from CORN that called Tom "ni**a" directly and in front of the camera, Crimson didn't act very "supportive".