What's new

Let's Talk About Catwoman's Meta

Rodrigue

Spongerod
The problem is when you have a bunch of these 4-6 and beat almost no one you're going to have a relatively poor MU chart and be in the bottom 10 conversation.
Yeah but watching you play puts these MU charts to shame! Lol. Kudos for having a phenomenal Selina. Helios should be proud haha. I'll have to test my improved Selina on @coolwhip 's Batman. What do you think about this MU? I think she goes even with the boyfriend. He might have a slight advantage though, not sure. Haven't played a good Sinestro though but I usually cancel a B3 under fear blasts. Shouldn't it be enough to get you up close and personal?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah but watching you play puts these MU charts to shame! Lol. Kudos for having a phenomenal Selina. Helios should be proud haha. I'll have to test my improved Selina on @coolwhip 's Batman. What do you think about this MU? I think she goes even with the boyfriend. He might have a slight advantage though, not sure. Haven't played a good Sinestro though but I usually cancel a B3 under fear blasts. Shouldn't it be enough to get you up close and personal?

Thanks. I think Batman is probably and even match. The problem with Sinestro is b+1,2 and his walk speed, not Fear Blast. So while she can low profile under a fear blast it doesn't change the fact that she has to take a risk to get in. She also can't stop him from charging trait without taking a risk.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Thanks. I think Batman is probably and even match. The problem with Sinestro is b+1,2 and his walk speed, not Fear Blast. So while she can low profile under a fear blast it doesn't change the fact that she has to take a risk to get in. She also can't stop him from charging trait without taking a risk.
Did you ever have a decent mirror? If I end up visiting the states next summer I'll probably spend 90% of my time at GGA. Can't wait! I really hope Kitana makes it to MKX too. That way we'll have another mirror lol

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Did you ever have a decent mirror? If I end up visiting the states next summer I'll probably spend 90% of my time at GGA. Can't wait! I really hope Kitana makes it to MKX too. That way we'll have another mirror lol

I've played Krazyie, Ecodus and N1k0lass in the mirror. It's awkward lol.

Sounds tight. Tony's bread is worth the trip.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Dude...
Dude...

@Youphemism come here and show this kid his place back in Noob school.

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Catwoman IS a bad character because she can be universally beat by the same tactic employed by anyone in the cast. Just walk backwards and have her chase you and commit to yolo b3's and j2's. It's the most infuriating thing to turtle and punish, but it's smart in retrospect. Her frame pressure mixups can be poked out of unless in several cases, although CW's corner game is great I see her suffer similarly as the Joker. The both have great damage and setups, but they have to work soooo so so so hard to get in and even get the set ups going that the life lead the opponent may get so fast negates all their damage.

Also the community doesn't think CW is as great because all her god like damage combos, d1 claws, meterless high damage, and unclashable damage is very very difficult to pull off. Having her as my secondary since December its been an awfully love hate relationship.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Catwoman IS a bad character because she can be universally beat by the same tactic employed by anyone in the cast. Just walk backwards and have her chase you and commit to yolo b3's and j2's.
This hasn't worked for anyone, and it definitely won't work once she gets a life lead.

I don't know where the notion is coming from that you can't beat any character you have to 'get in' on, but learning to navigate moving in on someone and being patient has been a core part of NRS games since MK9. The question is what happens when you get in (because you will get in).

I especially don't see a great Catwoman losing to yolo j2, as she controls the airspace when she wants to.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
That basically is the universal strategy. It's why guys like PPJ, Slips, Cowboy, and Saucy Jack can do well against her with any character they play. You literally just saw me lose to that gameplan at West Coast Warzone. Luckily in a match up like Raven the oki is so strong against Raven it evens out so I could have won if I guessed right but that strategy does work. This is how I lose to Whiteboi, Max, Theo, and pretty much everyone else that beats me. You see it on stream constantly. You see the top guys who understand how f+1 works and can punish low whip and whiff punish b+3. I don't know what more you want.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That basically is the universal strategy. It's why guys like PPJ, Slips, Cowboy, and Saucy Jack can do well against her with any character they play. You literally just saw me lose to that gameplan at West Coast Warzone. Luckily in a match up like Raven the oki is so strong against Raven it evens out so I could have won if I guessed right but that strategy does work. This is how I lose to Whiteboi, Max, Theo, and pretty much everyone else that beats me. You see it on stream constantly. You see the top guys who understand how f+1 works and can punish low whip and whiff punish b+3. I don't know what more you want.
Although it was close, it seemed like you were losing the set with Ducky due to smart, timely crossups and wakeup setups (and reacting incorrectly to them), rather than random yolo jump-ins and b3. You were prepared for the midscreen game, but it seemed like when Ducky started playing up close you weren't as prepared to block the crossups or deal with the oki options.

He started pressuring you, neutral jumping your wakeups and using the wakeup reverse. I think Steve even commented at one point that it looked like "Rush down Raven", haha. In general, he was abusing you constantly on wakeup, either by NJ, MB b3 or crossups.

I could be wrong, but it seemed like him going in and pressuring aggressively instead of just hanging back is ultimately what did you in.

If anyone wants to rewatch the set it's here: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/566192565?t=3h23m30s

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Hanging back is why I couldn't get anything started. Raven plays her game and Catwoman has to play the reactionary role to it. Abusing my wakeup is how he did damage(obviously you wouldn't turtle after a knockdown) but getting out footsied was the real problem.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Although it was close, it seemed like you were losing the set with Ducky due to smart, timely crossups and wakeup setups (and reacting incorrectly to them), rather than random yolo jump-ins and b3. You were prepared for the midscreen game, but it seemed like when Ducky started playing up close you weren't as prepared to block the crossups or deal with the oki options.

He started pressuring you, neutral jumping your wakeups and using the wakeup reverse. I think Steve even commented at one point that it looked like "Rush down Raven", haha. In general, he was abusing you constantly on wakeup, either by NJ, MB b3 or crossups.

I could be wrong, but it seemed like him going in and pressuring aggressively instead of just hanging back is ultimately what did you in.

If anyone wants to rewatch the set it's here: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/566192565?t=3h23m30s
She has poor wake ups. There's no reason not to go for some sort of safe mix up for potential extra damage. If she blocks it, I start walking back and make her come to me. The combination of knockdown shit & walking back = beating catwoman.

coolwhip

Noob
I especially don't see a great Catwoman losing to yolo j2, as she controls the airspace when she wants to.
Although it was close, it seemed like you were losing the set with Ducky due to smart, timely crossups and wakeup setups (and reacting incorrectly to them), rather than random yolo jump-ins and b3.
He surely was referring to Catwoman having to do yolo j2's and b3's, and not her opponent. As in, Catwoman is so frustrated by opponents just walking back that she has to resort to those strategies.