What's new

Let's Explore This Terror Together: Scarecrow General Discussion

He's definitely not an easy character to pickup and play. He has a lot of obvious flaws and it can be frustrating seeing characters like Superman and Batman that can do broken things a lot easier then the good Dr. can. I feel like real loyalist will stick it out to learn the dirtier shit, while people will jump off the hype train while they get zoned out, or rushed down.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
This type of chars are usually hard to play but rewarding, why I'm so excited to learn him.

with meter he is deadly in the corner, any string into fear blast combos into full combo, if they block you're +6, so after d1 fear blast again if they try to counter attack, once conditioned to block you can go for other strings or throw.

Why not post all info here instead of somewhere else?

Last edited:
Reactions: JDM

Shaka

Tier Whore.
If frame data is correct, death spin won't be the to go move for a safer approach, at -23 anything could punish it.

off strings we should always go to fear blast even if it lands lower damage and the combo window is tighter than death spin.
Death spin should be use as a combo punisher.

Last edited:

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
I clicked with Scarecrow instantly when I played him. Clearly his wake-up game is bad and his teleport is a joke, and he feels pretty free to certain zoning characters atm. Otherwise he's strong - incredible reach and control from a neutral game standpoint, great frame data in terms of attack speed and +frames, and a sick pressure based offense with tick throws and frame traps mixed in. I feel completely in control once I get in, and against about half the cast I just feel in control constantly. Feels mid-tier to me atm. He's a rough character to play in the early meta, but those of us who stick him out for these first 2-6 months will be happy we stayed imo. The only other character I like at all is Poison Ivy, and as fun as she is I keep coming back to Scarecrow because he just feels right.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
If frame data is correct, death spin won't be the to go move for a safer approach, at -23 anything could punish it.

off strings we should always go to fear blast even if it lands lower damage and the combo window is tight than death spin.
Death spin should be use as a combo punisher.
You can cancel every hit of the chain with dd to make the opponent guess on when to punish. MB is -1 but there's a gap in which they can armor or backdash.
Death spin won't often get punished

masherofbuttons

He has some great d1 mind games, it's 6 frames and -2.
You can tick throw, go for plus frames with db2 mb, catch a counterpoke with db3 or just poke again if the opponent expects a special cancel since there's only an 8 frame gap. It also your go to punisher since it links into death spin

Shaka

Tier Whore.
I clicked with Scarecrow instantly when I played him. Clearly his wake-up game is bad and his teleport is a joke, and he feels pretty free to certain zoning characters atm. Otherwise he's strong - incredible reach and control from a neutral game standpoint, great frame data in terms of attack speed and +frames, and a sick pressure based offense with tick throws and frame traps mixed in. I feel completely in control once I get in, and against about half the cast I just feel in control constantly. Feels mid-tier to me atm. He's a rough character to play in the early meta, but those of us who stick him out for these first 2-6 months will be happy we stayed imo. The only other character I like at all is Poison Ivy, and as fun as she is I keep coming back to Scarecrow because he just feels right.
about his wake ups, you can always block and pushblock on wake up not a big deal.
he's supposed to have weaknesses, as I said before true heavy zoners will give him trouble but that's just the nature of the MU.
Having secondary chars might be a must with SC.

I just started learning and got a long way to go but if they buff anything just give him more health, faster d2, faster backdash or walk speed and he should be fine.

@masherofbuttons
I like playing as safe as possible, I much rather be plus than negative or having to deal with all those mind games that comes with death spin.

Side note Toxic Breath could be use to close up rounds by holding it it does decent chip damage.

Last edited:
In case you guys didn't know.....f2 is also a rock throw on block. You can command throw right after for some reason. I do not see anyone doing this with scarecrow yet and I am surprised. If they think you will command grab them then they will be more susceptible to f2,1.

In case you guys didn't know.....f2 is also a rock throw on block. You can command throw right after for some reason. I do not see anyone doing this with scarecrow yet and I am surprised. If they think you will command grab them then they will be more susceptible to f2,1.
Rock=tick.....autocorrect is stupid

masherofbuttons

F2xxdbf3 isn't a tick throw

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
about his wake ups, you can always block and pushblock on wake up not a big deal.
he's supposed to have weaknesses, as I said before true heavy zoners will give him trouble but that's just the nature of the MU.
I2 is so much more forgiving than IGAU for characters lacking wake-up tools because of new mechanics like air rolls and such, but don't underestimate the oki in this game cuz it's overbearing now, and it's only going to get worse as players develop more intricate, concrete setups. Not having a reliable reversal is going to hurt in the long run, but hopefully our offensive setups will be just as oppressive so we can give it as bad as we are going to be taking it.

masherofbuttons

If you want oki, you better not end in chain grab or command grab, both are just +4 on hit. If you end with f213, you lose a bit of damage but you're +34 IIRC. That's enough to dash up and meaty if they roll and if the opponent doesn't roll you can dash up command grab meaty (which is gimmicky but works on a lot of people at the moment)

Shaka

Tier Whore.
I2 is so much more forgiving than IGAU for characters lacking wake-up tools because of new mechanics like air rolls and such, but don't underestimate the oki in this game cuz it's overbearing now, and it's only going to get worse as players develop more intricate, concrete setups. Not having a reliable reversal is going to hurt in the long run, but hopefully our offensive setups will be just as oppressive so we can give it as bad as we are going to be taking it.
agreed, I like that the game has insane pressure and insane zoning, it balances it out cause there's tools for defending against pressure like pushblock etc, and there's also tools for getting in like MB rolls etc.

the game is amazing.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
If you want oki, you better not end in chain grab or command grab, both are just +4 on hit. If you end with f213, you lose a bit of damage but you're +34 IIRC. That's enough to dash up and meaty if they roll and if the opponent doesn't roll you can dash up command grab meaty (which is gimmicky but works on a lot of people at the moment)
I'm already doing that, you can also activate trait, I think it's a HKD and leaves them right next to you so you can start draining their life bars & filling up your trait bar.

edit: trying it now and some chars with fast invincible wake ups might be able to blow it up, Aquaman's scoop doesn't.

Last edited:

masherofbuttons

I'm already doing that, you can also activate trait, I think it's a HKD and leaves them right next to you so you can start draining their life bars & filling up your trait bar.

edit: trying it now and some chars with fast invincible wake ups might be able to blow it up, Aquaman's scoop doesn't.
f213 isn't a hard knockdown, it's a splat, you can roll but it's slower than getting up normally. I haven't messed too much with safe trait activation, I don't think it's worth giving up pressure though.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
f213 isn't a hard knockdown, it's a splat, you can roll but it's slower than getting up normally. I haven't messed too much with safe trait activation, I don't think it's worth giving up pressure though.
what would you go for after f213? what strings, moves etc?

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Been playing him from the first day, and he's very execution heavy in terms of keeping your spacing, whiff punishing, and pulling off his combos. He hits like a truck and has potential, but we all know his drawbacks.

I'm really enjoying playing Scarecrow. I think a practiced hand will do decently with him if you have some counterpicks to deal with characters that give Scarecrow real trouble.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Double post: I put this in the combo thread, but it could be useful here.

This may be common knowledge, and correct me if this is wrong, but:

Unless you can hit confirm and be sure to launch with the second hit of scythe spin, allowing the third hit to land has been more advantageous for me for a couple of reasons. One being that the third hit will allow you to see if its going to be block and backdash for some extra space.

The second reason, and I think more important reason, is that there's a small gap between the second and third hit of the scythe spin. I took this in to practice and tested against the faster special move reversals (Lantern's Might) fast reversals with weird hitboxes (Batman's Slide), and even some more defensive reversals (Willpower Wall). I found that the gap will allow the opponent's move to start up, but will hit before their active hitboxes start. So, even if your opponent block your string and the beginning of the scythe spin, the third hit will still connect, allowing you to hit confirm that and bounce them for a juggle. Keep in mind that this works better while moving forward during the scythe spin.

Now, your opponent can make a read on this and use MB B3, or armor to get out of this, but this will open up headgames where you can back away during the scythe spin after the first hit if they're blocking and keep in optimal range.

Also, can anyone clue me in on the pressure with Fearnado (DB2)?

masherofbuttons

Double post: I put this in the combo thread, but it could be useful here.

This may be common knowledge, and correct me if this is wrong, but:

Unless you can hit confirm and be sure to launch with the second hit of scythe spin, allowing the third hit to land has been more advantageous for me for a couple of reasons. One being that the third hit will allow you to see if its going to be block and backdash for some extra space.

The second reason, and I think more important reason, is that there's a small gap between the second and third hit of the scythe spin. I took this in to practice and tested against the faster special move reversals (Lantern's Might) fast reversals with weird hitboxes (Batman's Slide), and even some more defensive reversals (Willpower Wall). I found that the gap will allow the opponent's move to start up, but will hit before their active hitboxes start. So, even if your opponent block your string and the beginning of the scythe spin, the third hit will still connect, allowing you to hit confirm that and bounce them for a juggle. Keep in mind that this works better while moving forward during the scythe spin.

Now, your opponent can make a read on this and use MB B3, or armor to get out of this, but this will open up headgames where you can back away during the scythe spin after the first hit if they're blocking and keep in optimal range.

Also, can anyone clue me in on the pressure with Fearnado (DB2)?
You're better off just canceling the chain spin at different points to stay safe since after the second string there are a bunch of gaps.The mindgames after db1 aren't in scarecrows advantage so I wouldn't incorporate it into your blockstrings.
DB2 mb is +6 and can be delayed, the command grab is 10 frames and when done frame perfect d1 jails. this demands a lot of respect and allows for a lot of pressure

JDM

Noob
Also his trait has awful recovery..

And why does 22 chain spin not connect!!!!!!!!!!
22 chain spin not connecting is literally my only issue with him right now. He SHOULD struggle against hard zoning since he has insane range.

Also not sure if I'd give him a full invin wakeup either, most wakeups in this game suck.