What's new

Match-up Discussion Kung Lao Matchup Discussion Thread

Why WOULDN'T she win? Don't come at me with "you're just playing the wrong KL" or "footsies KL bro". Please play footsies KL against Kitana. That's a winning formula. Man remember the "footsies KL" era? They all got their backs blown out and Carl is still king kung.
it is in kitanas favor but at the same time people say kl vs sub is 6-4 and that matchup is a lot worse than kung lao vs kitana. so how are both these matches 6-4 they have a huge difference in how bad the matchup is.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
it is in kitanas favor but at the same time people say kl vs sub is 6-4 and that matchup is a lot worse than kung lao vs kitana. so how are both these matches 6-4 they have a huge difference in how bad the matchup is.

I don't know, I don't play either character. Perhaps KL vs. Sub is not 6-4.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I have played all the Kung Lao's. She wins. I said this 8 months ago, got blown up for it, then have since beaten all the Kung Lao's. Don't worry about Carl not punishing d+1~cutter. She wins because she has superior footsies, controls the air and does mega damage.

BTW Sage once said I was delusional for saying it and now it's aparently obvious.

No one ever listens to my kitana mu numbers. :rolleyes:
After watching first hand at CoCo I def think you are right and I thought it was a huge mistake for Carl to switch from Kabal. A Kung Lao that can't abuse the air and do whatever he wants is a sad Kung Lao. Kung Lao can definitely beat Kitana but against a top Kitana like yourself they are in for a rough go.

coolwhip

Noob
I think just because two match-ups have similar numbers, doesn't mean they're totally similar. Two matches that are 5-5's are not alike, and one can be slightly harder than the other (but not enough to warrant a 6-4), if that makes any sense. And yeah, Kitana beats Kung Lao. It's not a horrible match for him or anything, but she's got better pokes, controls the footsies (for the most part), out-damages him, and controls the air. She wins.

that is why we need .5 matchups. how is it accurate to only be able to rate bad matchups in 6-4, 7-3, 8-2, 9-1. thats 4 levels of bad matchups and I think fighting games are too complicated to rate in just 4 levels of bad matchups.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Here's my KL matchup chart based on my experience...

Baraka 6-4
Cyber Sub Zero 6-4
Cyrax 4-6 (could be 3-7)
Ermac 5-5
Freddy Krueger 6-4
Jade 7-3
Jax 6-4
Johnny Cage 4-6
Kabal 4-6
Kano 7-3
Kenshi 7-3 (could be 6-4)
Kitana 4-6
Kratos 7-3
Liu Kang 6-4
Mileena 6-4
Nightwolf 7-3
Noob Saibot 6-4
Quan Chi 6-4
Raiden 5-5
Rain 7-3
Reptile 6-4 (could be 7-3)
Scorpion 7-3
Sektor 5-5
Shang Tsung 5-5
Sheeva 7-3
Sindel 7-3
Skarlet 6-4
Smoke 6-4
Sonya 4-6
Stryker 7-3
Sub Zero 6-4

U guyz sure about the mu vs reptile ? 6-4 ??? I mean im a lao player and i really hate fighting that midget dude hes so annoying even i cant catch him with the tele3 while he doing a force ball ..

U guyz sure about the mu vs reptile ? 6-4 ??? I mean im a lao player and i really hate fighting that midget dude hes so annoying even i cant catch him with the tele3 while he doing a force ball ..
I play both, reptile can't do shit about Lao bouncing all over the screen, its infuriating haha. Also uppercut is really his most reliable Tele punish so its not a huge deterrent.

#IamMuffinMuggers

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I play both, reptile can't do shit about Lao bouncing all over the screen, its infuriating haha. Also uppercut is really his most reliable Tele punish so its not a huge deterrent.

#IamMuffinMuggers
d4 xx forceball works. d4 is more reliable in general in comparison to uppercut.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I can get this sometimes, but if the delay the Tele 3 does it screw with the timing ?
#IamMuffinMuggers
I'm pretty sure there's a consistent timing. In my experiences with it, 9/10 I duck under tele3.

I'm pretty sure there's a consistent timing. In my experiences with it, 9/10 I duck under tele3.
the tele 3 kick comes out at 5 frames, so once he is low enough to hit you neutral crouching youre in trouble if youre not blocking or armoring through it. basically do it before he is low enough to kick you at neutral crouch state after he reappears on the other side.

#IamMuffinMuggers
When he do the force ball i cant catch him with tp3 and if i timed it he can uppercut but sometimes it works i think its kinda 5-5. Not 6-4

When he do the force ball i cant catch him with tp3 and if i timed it he can uppercut but sometimes it works i think its kinda 5-5. Not 6-4
Just dive kick over it. The only thing reptile has going for him is a low hit box and a good d4. Plus he can.punish 241+2.
#IamMuffinMuggers

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i don't know if u guys know this but, im pretty sure a low hat from full screen on hit is a free ia divekick, its very useful for getting in like that.