What's new

Match-up Discussion Kung Lao Matchup Discussion Thread

"Drastically outfootsies Lao" - D4,dive kick ?
-i d say KL and Sonya are even in the pressure/mix up department.
-Sonya outdamages KL.Check.
-Her uppercut is brutal - just like anti-air spin.
-Yeah Lao's pokes are below average, d1 is 7 frames and D3 is like 9. Sonya also has a 10 frame mid. Her D4 is incredible, Dive-kick is like spin since they both launch and defy footsie game.

-You're right. I messed up, they're probably equal on mix-ups but Sonya's pressure is dumb. She gets a guaranteed safe 6% chip every time she touches you with a D4 (military stance F1 into cartwheel). Not even gonna mention Ms cancel pressure gimmicks.

-I agree, Anti-crossup spin is like a 1-2 frame link but i'm a scrub soooo....

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Drastically out-footsies Lao, safe and very effective mix-ups/pressure. More Mid screen damage, Low hitbox, anti-cross-up uppercut bs; and last but not least, the moment we've all been waiting for

SAFE SUPER ARMOR ON A COMBO LAUNCHER #TyNRS
Sonya does win but she doesn't "drastically" outfootsie him. Let's calm down with that

coolwhip

Noob
I use a lot, I'm an average player (Reptile, Kung Lao, Jax, Kano, Sonya and Quan Chi = my favs/mains).

Just thought throughout the game that Jax had an edge but when you all came through with the frame data nerd statistics it confirmed I was wrong :eek:
Do you play online? If so, do you happen to be on the European servers? If so, I can help you level up and teach you the match-up. I play both characters.

"Drastically outfootsies Lao" - D4,dive kick ?

i d say KL and Sonya are even in the pressure/mix up department.

Sonya outdamages KL.Check.

Her uppercut is brutal - just like anti-air spin.

:(
d4 is a big problem the fact that she is advantage on hit or block because of MS f1.

He can't teleport on her ring toss cause she recovers too fast. He has to have perfect spacing and dive kick her and thats difficult. she punishes teleport pretty hard too.

Its quite simple why she beats him. How does Kung Lao pressure her? With his godlike mids and low attacks? lololol Throwing a hat at sonya is not that good either cause she can just ex cartwheel through it on reaction or a read and regardless its a good bet because shes safe on block. GG

Agree to disagree on Kit.

Sektor and Ermac are literally just sitting there waiting for you to do something punishable, is that what you mean? Lao out footsies Mac because his big hitbox gives 2,21,24 mix-ups hella mileage. If you're punishing mid-range push with Ex-spin and using D4 to get in I don't see what Ermac is doing to slow you down.

Sektor has no reliable way to open me up. 6-4 Lao
Well I'm not asking you to agree with me.

You don't need to agree with me.

You're telling me to rely on punishing ermac with EX spin which requires meter which I am going to need more so to breaker his combos. EX spin can barely even get near 30% damage mean while ermac does way more from a lift at max range and pushes kung lao full screen. You know lift and push beats d4 right and they have way more than than d4? Lol

Kung Lao is not going to be all next to ermac hitting him with 21, 1121 strings its too risky to get in. Also since u are standing there waiting for ermac to push or lift he dashes in grabs u or starts his own pressure. Ermac also gets like 40% meterless punish on Kung Lao's teleport.

Yea dude Ermac definitely wins this match up and I have no idea what I'm talking about!

coolwhip

Noob
What do you base that on? Just curious.
Sonya's pressure gains her more momentum, it's more continuous, she has better pokes, you have to respect ex Cartwheel (you could say the same about Kung Lao's spin except it's hella punishable so the KL player can't throw it as freely) and you can't just poke out of her shit like you can with Kung Lao, unless a Sonya player is dumb enough to pressure you with 114 or something, which you should be full comboing.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
smoke is not top 5,

Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy/Lao/Cage? in that order.

lao has some tricks that make it difficult to pin down the sonya mu as a losing one. One of them being them birdlao shenanigans, which actually kinda work on her.

coolwhip

Noob
smoke is not top 5,

Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy/Lao/Cage? in that order.

lao has some tricks that make it difficult to pin down the sonya mu as a losing one. One of them being them birdlao shenanigans, which actually kinda work on her.
The Sonya match-up is pinned down as a losing one for Lao and it's not that debatable.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Why is this even being debated?
Low hitbox.
D4.
MS-mixups. Wanna spin? It's cool bro, let me just cancel straight into Cartwheel.
7f jab pokes Tele3 right outta the sky.
Damage.
Projectile recovery.
Armor versatility.
Higher unbreakable damage (?)

Etc. ad infinitatem...

lol guys, you are overeating about sonya. gamerblake wrote this:
This is one of the most common misconceptions I see about the character. Sonya is not a pressure character...the core element to her game is mix-ups.

A lot of posts here point out d4 - Military Stance, which you can follow with f1 for +1 advantage. But what people fail to realize is that there are only two fast options to follow a blocked f1 with:

1. Her d1 poke, which I believe is six frames. If the poke is blocked and she tries to follow with a stance mix-up, Sonya won't be at enough advantage to make a guess because she can be stopped by a counter-poke or they can jump away.

2. Her instant-air divekick, but this is very unsafe. Should it be blocked, you're eating a full combo punish.

I guess you could also include the EX Cartwheel, but are you willing to just throw them out and not think that the opponent will be smart enough to see it coming and block it, or whiff punish it? From my experience, Sonya doesn't have many other counter-measures when she's being pressured herself. A blocked cartwheel, EX or not, leaves you at negative frames.

And before anybody else makes such arguments - how are you gonna "pressure" with Sonya? 1 1 4 or 1 1 2? Unless it's off a jump-punch, they can be ducked mid-string and interrupted by d1 or d3. Poke to stance? Read the first criteria above about what happens with blocked pokes. f4? Possibly, but it's not that fast. Throws? That leads to a potential Wake-Up and therefore another guessing game.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
As far as Sektor goes, let's keep in mind that Kung Lao also has a low hitbox. Especially since Sage Leviathan is a huge advocate of labeling crouchable highs useless. But only F0xy plays with a style against Sektor that entertains too many what if scenarios for Sektor to lock the matchup down as his advantage IMO.

why would u d1~ms stance anyways, the cancel advantage isnt that great offa d1's ussually.
To bait and whiff counterpoke attempts. Not sure if it works as good as D1~NMS with Freddy though.

You're telling me to rely on punishing ermac with EX spin which requires meter which I am going to need more so to breaker his combos. EX spin can barely even get near 30% damage mean while ermac does way more from a lift at max range and pushes kung lao full screen. You know lift and push beats d4 right and they have way more than than d4? Lol

Kung Lao is not going to be all next to ermac hitting him with 21, 1121 strings its too risky to get in. Also since u are standing there waiting for ermac to push or lift he dashes in grabs u or starts his own pressure. Ermac also gets like 40% meterless punish on Kung Lao's teleport.
It's risky to get in on Ermac as Kung Lao... No words. You're not waiting for him to push, ex spin is reactionary. You're eliminating the best of his keep away options which are already a bill.

Lao does not need meter except to risk spins on a read, do amazing AA punishes and do gimmicky low hat/ex tele shenanigans. If you break so much that you fear taking around 30% of your opponents life bar maybe Lao isn't the character for you. Ermac, sektor etc blow up sloppy play; cool, stop playing sloppy. Their mix-ups/pressure is bad, they don't really open you up.

You think Kitana poses less of a threat than Ermac, @xKhaoTik can field that one

If you're getting rubbed out by Sektors and Ermacs they're more than likely out playing you, 100%. Your accomplishments don't give or take tools from Lao. We're discussing MUs objectively, if you disagree please do it without "I lost to X, beat Y and won Z."

Hey let me leave the thread. I have no idea how to play Kung Lao and have never been to a tournament before. Ggs
I'll leave it to you pros to debate kl match ups
Lol, funny thing is I was at Evo this year and either Pig or Claude "Forgot" to put me in the bracket. I hear you though, should've spent tuition money on plane tickets to go play videogames with strangers. My bad