What's new

Match-up Discussion Kung Lao Matchup Discussion Thread

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
KL loses to sonnya badly lets just leave it at that.
He loses to jc, kitana, reptile, kabal, cyrax and a few others too.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Lol, funny thing is I was at Evo this year and either Pig or Claude "Forgot" to put me in the bracket. I hear you though, should've spent tuition money on plane tickets to go play videogames with strangers. My bad
What have you done again? I dont remember your name being on any majors top16.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Kitana gives him more trouble than Sonya IMO. Forever King thought so too. Idk if he still does tho
Idk I have more issues vs Sonnyas but that might be just me.

Also I dont think a char with that many bad MUs( and most are top tiers) could be considered a top5 char IMO.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
KL loses to sonnya badly lets just leave it at that.
He loses to jc, kitana, reptile, kabal, cyrax and a few others too.
lol at losing to reptile....not even close, thats a 6-4 to lao, and he doesnt lose badly to sonya at all, worst it could be is a 4-6.

smoke is not top 5,

Kabal, Kenshi, Sonya, Cyrax, Freddy/Lao/Cage? in that order.

lao has some tricks that make it difficult to pin down the sonya mu as a losing one. One of them being them birdlao shenanigans, which actually kinda work on her.
please don't throw cage up there

Kung Lao's hard match ups
- Ermac, Sektor, Sonya, Cyrax, Cage and depending how you play it Kitana.

top 5:
Kabal (who I feel is overrated)
Sonya
Cyrax
Smoke (I think smoke beats everyone in the top 5 other than Kabal)
Kenshi

Smoke beats sonya??? And i have always been an advocate for kenshi in the smoke matchup... And what do you mean by depending on how you play it??? at the highest level both chars play it right.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I misread that it was in order, i think smoke is better than cage
i don't see how. Smoke is only good at playing keep away (as in staying away, not zoning) and having massive damage with his resets if he catches u. as well as playing footsies with is b2. he has no low starter so he has no mixup potential. Which means the only way he can really get u is by making u whiff in the neutral game. He's good, but not top 5 good.

What if you won EVO twice with Kung Lao? Would that make him the character for you?
Can't see these questions being constructive, if you seriously believe he wouldn't take the damage and wanna talk about it pm me. Otherwise go antagonize somebody who cares enough to indulge a pointless discussion.

coolwhip

Noob
Can't see these questions being constructive, if you seriously believe he wouldn't take the damage and wanna talk about it pm me. Otherwise go antagonize somebody who cares enough to indulge a pointless discussion.
That's not the point at all. I offered plenty of constructive discussion in this thread, but I can't help but point out that telling the two time EVO champ "maybe Kung Lao is not the character for you" is incredibly presumptuous, douchey, and flat out ridiculous.

i don't see how. Smoke is only good at playing keep away (as in staying away, not zoning) and having massive damage with his resets if he catches u. as well as playing footsies with is b2. he has no low starter so he has no mixup potential. Which means the only way he can really get u is by making u whiff in the neutral game. He's good, but not top 5 good.
try playing cage against kenshi freddy sonya and kabal

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
That's not the point at all. I offered plenty of constructive discussion in this thread, but I can't help but point out that telling the two time EVO champ "maybe Kung Lao is not the character for you" is incredibly presumptuous, douchey, and flat out ridiculous.
I think you misused the word presumptuous here, I didn't presume anything. Douchey is subjective, i'll hold that. Out of context it could sound ridiculous, but it's not. You mean to tell me the same dude who will use a bar on a BnB for 8% more damage isn't gonna use a bar for 30% damage because "He might need it to break."

I'm not gonna concede common sense because this dude won a tournament. If Jordan said "Putting a bag of milk in your socks makes you jump higher", I'd ask him first where the hell he found bagged milk, and second how that makes any sense whatsoever. If his only backing is "I have 6 rings" he can blow me... PL's tenure is respectable, but facts are facts. I wanna hear factually how what I said was misinformed.

Reactions: Tzu

coolwhip

Noob
I think you misused the word presumptuous here, I didn't presume anything. Douchey is subjective, i'll hold that. Out of context it could sound ridiculous, but it's not. You mean to tell me the same dude who will use a bar on a BnB for 8% more damage isn't gonna use a bar for 30% damage because "He might need it to break."
presumptuous
prɪˈzʌm(p)tʃʊəs/
adjective
  1. (of a person or their behaviour) failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.
Synonyms
1, 2. impertinent, audacious; fresh; arrogant.

Yeah, no. I don't think I misused the term.

I'm not gonna concede common sense because this dude won a tournament. If Jordan said "Putting a bag of milk in your socks makes you jump higher", I'd ask him first where the hell he found bagged milk, and second how that makes any sense whatsoever. If his only backing is "I have 6 rings" he can blow me... PL's tenure is respectable, but facts are facts. I wanna hear factually how what I said was misinformed.
Actually no. You told PL "maybe Kung Lao is not the character for you." To stick with your Jordan analogy, this would be like telling him "perhaps shooting guard is not the position for you."

I didn't say your argument about the Ermac match-up is invalid. I said telling PL Kung Lao might not be the character for him is ridiculous. That's the statement I took issue with, which is clear given that it's the part I quoted.

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
presumptuous
prɪˈzʌm(p)tʃʊəs/
adjective
  1. (of a person or their behaviour) failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.
Actually no. You told PL "maybe Kung Lao is not the character for you." To stick with your Jordan analogy, this would be like telling him "perhaps shooting guard is not the position for you."

I didn't say your argument about the Ermac match-up is invalid. I said telling PL Kung Lao might not be the character for him is ridiculous. That's the statement I took issue with, which is clear given that it's the part I quoted.
"If you break so much that you fear taking around 30% of your opponents life bar maybe Lao isn't the character for you" <- Damn you're right, flagged for "inappropriate, non-pertinent and un-permitted" conversation. Infraction

You keep taking my point out of context. You're like the journalist who takes the word "ass" out of "casserole" and flags celebrities for being profane... Even if you weren't segmenting my statement, didn't PL feel like Lao might not be the character for him? Wtf is the difference between him switching to Kabal/Raiden and me typing it out? I hear you though, i'll take my presumptuous and arrogant comments to the NW forums where they belong. My bad

Last edited: