What's new

Match-up Discussion Kung Lao Matchup Discussion Thread

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I realize that there might be a matchup thread already in this forum, but the point of this thread is to discuss matchups to make the Matchup Chart as accurate as possible.

The Matchup Chart thread:
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3075-Mortal-Kombat-(2011)-Matchup-Chart

When you discuss or list what you think the matchups are, please do so in alphabetical order. Also, they should be listed in either whole numbers or .5 notations.

The current Matchup Chart for Kung Lao is as follows:
7-3 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Cyrax
6-4 vs Ermac
xxx vs Freddy Krueger
6-4 vs Jade
6-4 vs Jax
5-5 vs Johnny Cage
4-6 vs Kabal
6-4 vs Kano
xxx vs Kenshi
4-6 vs Kitana
6-4 vs Liu Kang
4-6 vs Mileena
7-3 vs Nightwolf
6-4 vs Noob Saibot
8-2 vs Quan Chi
5-5 vs Raiden
xxx vs Rain
6-4 vs Reptile
6-4 vs Scorpion
6-4 vs Sektor
7-3 vs Shang Tsung
8-2 vs Sheeva
8-2 vs Sindel
xxx vs Skarlet
5-5 vs Smoke
6-4 vs Sonya Blade
7-3 vs Stryker
6-4 vs Sub-Zero

Agree? Disagree? DISCUSS!

These should all be 7-3's.

I kid, of course, but I just wanted to express my surprise that he's 4-6 against Kabal. I'm not doubting the matchup details, I'm just amazed that I never even caught that. Unless it was a recent change. . .

Also, much appreciation for your efforts, Konqrr. I've been waiting for this kind of organization for a while, but of course I knew I wasn't going to get it right away.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
These should all be 7-3's.

I kid, of course, but I just wanted to express my surprise that he's 4-6 against Kabal. I'm not doubting the matchup details, I'm just amazed that I never even caught that. Unless it was a recent change. . .

Also, much appreciation for your efforts, Konqrr. I've been waiting for this kind of organization for a while, but of course I knew I wasn't going to get it right away.
Thanks.

I was told that the current Lao numbers came from Perfect Legend

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Lol so in REO's opinion KL vs Mileena is 8:2 (this may have changed by now) but if these sats are according to PL then its really 4:6???

Seems like quite the difference to me... someone more knowledgable needs to come and explain...

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
KL rips mileena apart, the only reason PL had such a hard time is because everything he does is so punishable / he took a while to learn that cross over punches dont work.

Theres just nothing she has that can hurt him

Gonna say 7-3, everything mileena has to risk to get a little damage KL can get more damage just for punishing it

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
7-3 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Cyrax
6-4 vs Ermac
xxx vs Freddy Krueger
6-4 vs Jade
6-4 vs Jax
5-5 vs Johnny Cage - 5-5 or 4-6. Cages close up game is superior and when the block strings are run correctly Kung Lao can't counter spin. Teleport wont help Kung Lao in this match up.
6-4 vs Kabal - Kung Lao can roll in and hit confirm spin off of air fireballs so this is his approach, spin can check block strings.
5-5 vs Kano - Even in my opinion Kung Lao should never be allowed to teleport and Kano has better range on his normals.
xxx vs Kenshi
4-6 vs Kitana - yep
6-4 vs Liu Kang
6-4 vs Mileena - 6-4 or 7-3, Mileena needs to take risks to get damage I suppose. Her d4 should get a lot of mileage in this match but she doesn't really have any special tools in this match up.
6-4 vs Nightwolf - Definitely not 7-3. But this is in Kung Laos favor he has to many options to stop projectiles/lightning/shoulder.
6-4 vs Noob Saibot - I suppose, I think Noob gives people a lot more trouble up close than people imagine but kung lao does have a good d3 and d4 game.
8-2 vs Quan Chi - Dont know the match up but 8-2? Come on...
5-5 vs Raiden
xxx vs Rain
6-4 vs Reptile - Kung Lao can take spin risks because Derptiles only punish is dash.
6-4 vs Scorpion
6-4 vs Sektor
6-4 vs Shang Tsung - This is really a game of frame traps. No one aside from Detroit is approaching this match up correctly yet. Kung Lao has the edge but not by much.
7-3 vs Sheeva - Spin beats air stomp, he gets in for free but has to be cautious of her grab. This is still very one sided for Kung Lao.
7-3 vs Sindel - She needs to slow down her projectile game to check teleports, this it tough but not as unwinnable as 8-2 suggests.
xxx vs Skarlet
5-5 vs Smoke
4-6vs Sonya Blade - HELL NO, This match up goes to Sonya. She can harass Kung Lao from a safe distance so count spin isn't an issue, shes always grounded so she can uppercut teleports on reaction and she can mix up jumps with dive kick so he can never get a read on aa spin.
7-3 vs Stryker - Eh fine.
6-4 vs Sub-Zero - yep

KL rips mileena apart, the only reason PL had such a hard time is because everything he does is so punishable / he took a while to learn that cross over punches dont work.

Theres just nothing she has that can hurt him

Gonna say 7-3, everything mileena has to risk to get a little damage KL can get more damage just for punishing it
Um sais keep kung lao out and d4 is still a problem. Jump kick doesnt lead to anything heavy as far as damage unless its really deep. Also she can anti air him with roll for a combo. He also can't run up to her and do his string pressure because she ducks all that shit so easy and d4 has hella range. KL doesn't even deal a lot of dmg in this build he needs meter for break the 30's lol.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Um sais keep kung lao out and d4 is still a problem. Jump kick doesnt lead to anything heavy as far as damage unless its really deep. Also she can anti air him with roll for a combo. He also can't run up to her and do his string pressure because she ducks all that shit so easy and d4 has hella range. KL doesn't even deal a lot of dmg in this build he needs meter for break the 30's lol.
Jump kick still stops her from lowering her hit box though. If mileena gets hit by a couple 12%'s shes going to stop trying to lower her hit box with d4.

Edit: Roll's = hit confirm into spin, thats how you beat air sais.

Jump kick still stops her from lowering her hit box though. If mileena gets hit by a couple 12%'s shes going to stop trying to lower her hit box with d4.

Edit: Roll's = hit confirm into spin, thats how you beat air sais.
Hey I got news for you bro.

You can't hit confirm Roll to spin. You have to do the spin before the roll even hits or it won't come out.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
i didnt make a chart lol
Thanks for clarifying.

Hey I got news for you bro.

You can't hit confirm Roll to spin. You have to do the spin before the roll even hits or it won't come out.
I think he means that if you see she is going for an air sai, you can hit her with roll~spin under the sai.

Does a really low Air Sai hit KL out of the roll like Kitana's Fan does? If not, then this is pretty much a guaranteed counter.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
- KL beats Mileena 7-3...he has a counter for pretty much everything Mileena can do.
- Imho KL vs. Kabal is 5-5 or 6-4

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Yea if you Roll at Mileena and catch her in the air its easy to confirm the spin. It's the reason Tom Brady was yelling at you to stop teleporting and roll in finals.

Kung lao vs cage is 4-6?

LOL. What a joke. Kung lao is the only character in the game than can punish cages block strings without some sort of armor. Kung lao forces cage to jump with his safe low hat strings that are not only safe, but build retarded amounts of meter for his xray which punishes you into a 50%+ combo, which happens to be un-punishable on block. If you block, you're eating hardcore chip and letting him build hardcore meter, if you jump, you get spun on reaction into a 30%+ combo that knocks you away from him so you're forced to try to get in again. One guess spin completely destroys your pressure. One wrong guess on a d1 and you're eating spin or x-ray. Your best wakeup is punished for free against lao, one of the few characters that can.

Granted, johnny cage is good up close, and it can give kung lao SOME problems, but oh no, god forbid that happens! I swear, the MK community wants a win button, they don't want to level up their game at all. If you have an unfavorable matchup or a matchup you don't know, kung lao is automatically not high tier or the other character is broken? Lmao...Honestly, Kung lao has no bad matchups as far as I am concerned. Safe strings into low hat for a bar of meter, completely safe pressure into guessing situations, he has every single option available to him, a 6 frame "get out of jail free" punisher, great low attacks, low starters, half screen roll thats safe and can be canceled into a special Herp a derp combos into over 30% each. Best xray in the game. Yet people wanna nerf mileena for down fucking 4? Lmao....I swear this community is a joke. Thats why you guys get laughed at all the time, and thats why its considered a joke to most outside the community. Its not the game, there have been shitter games taken more seriously, its the community.

Teleport isn't that useful of a tool from what I can tell, he doesn't even fucking need it, zoners are scared to zone him, rushers are scared to rush, turtlers are scared to turtle. You are afraid to do really anything because he has every option available to him, and probably out preforms you at said area. Don't jump, don't crouch, don't stand block, don't low block, don't zone, don't rush, don't wakeup. He has the best answers in the game for every single one of those options, and out plays the entire cast on almost every entire level. Kitana and Kabal are not a bad matchup for him.

Kitana- She can punish spin hard, big deal, good laos aren't going to throw out spin like that, they use it to AA more than anything. She throws fans all day and you can't get in? ... bullshit, just because you try to spam teleport and and lose doesn't mean he can't get in. Same situation with kabal. God forbid kung lao has to play normal for once and actually think to get in...wowwww must be a bad matchup. I give it 5-5 at best.

I see all this shit about nerfing this and buffing that, but you're keeping this piece of crap character the same, which is more or less completely ruining the game and INTELLIGENT peoples outlook on it. I'm not talking about casual players who know nothing about fighting game mechanics at all, and are just mk fans who happen to play the game online/offline. I'm talking about people who know how shitty that crap is, and how absurd it is compared to the rest of the casts options, then sit here on Testyourscrub.com and look at posts enabling kung lao, by people with fucking kung lao avatars...are you serious??

I would be happy as hell if my character was broken too, but lets get real for fucking once, and stand up against shit like this instead of crying about mileenas d4 which you can't jump punch and when it hits you leads to 3%. Uh...you can't jump in on lao or you're eating a 6 frame reaction spin into 30%+ but thats fine? Seriously, remove the head from your asses.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
If Cage's block strings are frame perfect there literally is nothing Kung Lao can do. Have a friend try to counter you with spins and repeat f3,2 d1 f3,2 d1 over and over, when this is performed correctly he will fail every time which is where hit confirms into nut punch come into play.

If Cage's block strings are frame perfect there literally is nothing Kung Lao can do. Have a friend try to counter you with spins and repeat f3,2 d1 f3,2 d1 over and over, when this is performed correctly he will fail every time which is where hit confirms into nut punch come into play.
Good luck doing frame perfect things every time, try to "test your luck" in a real tournament match with nerves and any other factor can throw you off and you eat a spin into 30%.

f3,2 is only +1 when your opponent is stand blocking, if hes crouch blocking its neutral, so you will eat a spin every single time.

I love how you fail to address any problems cage has against kung, but you give the one example of how cage actually might be able to do something against kung lao, that doesn't really show anything. So you're saying cages only option against kung is a frame perfect trap that has to be high blocked? What about kungs options against cage?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Good luck doing frame perfect things every time, try to "test your luck" in a real tournament match with nerves and any other factor can throw you off and you eat a spin into 30%.

f3,2 is only +1 when your opponent is stand blocking, if hes crouch blocking its neutral, so you will eat a spin every single time.

I love how you fail to address any problems cage has against kung, but you give the one example of how cage actually might be able to do something against kung lao, that doesn't really show anything. So you're saying cages only option against kung is a frame perfect trap that has to be high blocked? What about kungs options against cage?
I practice the hell out of 1 frame links in Street Fighter and pull them off consistently why wouldn't I be able to do it in this game. Just gotta program the rhythm into your muscle memory, its not that difficult.

I practice the hell out of 1 frame links in Street Fighter and pull them off consistently why wouldn't I be able to do it in this game. Just gotta program the rhythm into your muscle memory, its not that difficult.
So do I, but even still, one wrong move and BAM, you get hit.

Again, you don't address ANYTHING that kung has against cage, just a Frame Perfect thing that he has against kung while he has to be stand blocking.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I hope the reference to 1-frame links in SF isn't about in SFIV... >.>

Otherwise, yeah, if you can do them there, no reason why you can't in MK9.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I hope the reference to 1-frame links in SF isn't about in SFIV... >.>

Otherwise, yeah, if you can do them there, no reason why you can't in MK9.
ssf4 abel, step kick to standing strong is a one frame link and you can't use the character without being able to link that.

DetroitBalln

tupac aint dead
7-3 vs Shang Tsung
I disagree with this.

Imo this match up is 5-5, but others say 6-4 in favor of Lao which is understandable.

I think Shang has the tools to stop all of Lao's moves, and if you use them at the right time Lao can have a hard time.