What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

Also the ex straight hat says +30 on block in the frame data, that is wrong. It is actually full combo punishable on block. Calling a hat trap back has a lot of frame advantage though, enough advantage for you to get a b321 in without getting interrupted by a tempest spin.

Okay so here is how my hattrick Kung lao plays:

Hat trick Kung lao has to play very defensive until he gets a knockdown. So this variation is best for characters that aren't afraid to fight up close against buzzsaw, you don't want to use this variation against zoners. You basically sit back and throw out a hat trap in front of you and control that space. In that space you can convert the 11212, b12, f23 strings into a hat call back into b321spin, b321 hat trap. What this does is you end them in a hard knockdown while cancelling into a hat trap at the same time(wakeup attacks can't blow this up not even buzzsaw spin). The options you have after setting this up are:

- call the hat back and try to launch them if they aren't blocking. If they blocked the hat you get free guaranteed pressure, you can go into strings or a grab.
- pressure with 11212, b12 and after every string you can call the hat back so they always have to respect that option, which opens up a lot of grab options for you. all these strings can be htconfirmed into over 30% meterless damage by ending in the doubel divekick combo or almost 30% damage by looping the setup by ending the combo with the b321 hat trap ender.
- just grab, depending on how you pressured the opponent, he or she will still be in the hat trap range and will have to respect the hat call back after the grab tech. You will have to be wary of armor and jumps at times but try to scout that and block and beat the jumps with standing 1 which is a very good antiair.
- back up and the space you control will be even larger, your opponent will have to fear approaching you because you can call the hat back at anytime and it has an 8 frame startup and is hella plus if they block it. You could do stuff like run in after they block the hat you just called back.
- The opponent can walk back to try to walk out of the hat range, but you can call the hat back at any moment when they do so, also when you are at full screen you can prevent the opponent from walking out of that range because the screen has to follow both characters. Also backdash attempts after this knockdown setup can be blown up by calling the hat back.

Apart from the non variation tools he can use in this variation his hattrick ex straight hat can be used to whiff punish something that is from very far away. It is a 15 frame launcher and you have plenty of time to run in and convert it into the 44 combo.

Your game in this variation basically begins when you get in that first hit and end in the knockdown setup. It basically only takes the first hit and 2 succesful loops of this setup to end the opponents lifebar without counting in breakers. I just started messing with hat trick yesterday but there are probably a lot of possibilities off of this setup. I hate to use this word but this is kind of his setplay variation and Imo is very useful and a lot better than tempest.

EOTL

IMO This variation needs a hat call back during teleport so you can combat zoners/defensive people who won't step between kung lao and the hat.

Either that or actually be able to set a hat off blockstrings and be safe.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
IMO This variation needs a hat call back during teleport so you can combat zoners/defensive people who won't step between kung lao and the hat.

Either that or actually be able to set a hat off blockstrings and be safe.
That or have the hat not disappear on hit. Someone suggested two hits but honestly the trade off of some great normals/specials I think the damn thing should just stay put. It would make more sense because you are trading one threat for another.

That way you could commit to it without fear of your planning and hard work going down the tube to a D1. Trap characters just work better that way. (Raiden MoS)

Guys hattrick isnt crazy good but it has its uses. I wouldn't say its bad. End your combos in b321 hat trap. The setup is also a lot better in the corner. Just accept it for what it is. We already got buffs for tempest. There are characters in the game who only have one good variation or are just a worse character than kung lao to begin with.

Also to be honest I don't think most of you have done your homework with hattrick yet.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
Guys hattrick isnt crazy good but it has its uses. I wouldn't say its bad. End your combos in b321 hat trap. The setup is also a lot better in the corner. Just accept it for what it is. We already got buffs for tempest. There are characters in the game who only have one good variation or are just a worse character than kung lao to begin with.

Also to be honest I don't think most of you have done your homework with hattrick yet.
It's not that hat trick is bad, it's just not viable when it comes to changing the matchup, which is what variations are for. Right? Buzzsaw is good for tricky offense, tempest is good for playing the neutral/high damage punishing, and hat trick SHOULD be played to control space. The problem with hat trick is that his tools to control space isn't a big enough threat to those who know the holes in Laos setups. I don't think it's bad per se but it's not too sinful to ask for better tools, especially because Lao isn't one of the vortex kings and having 3 very viable variations would be awesome

I've sincerely tried to make this variation work. I've even canceled the last hit if my Enders into a hat toss for Oki set ups but it doesn't work out in a match like it does in training.

When I compare hat trick to the other variations it's not worth my time. It's too bad the variation I liked the most is pretty much useless
What are you trying to do to begin with. How do you set the hat up and what do you do after setting the hat up. You gotta know when to use it and you might have to condition the opponent first you cant just always go for setups.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

GT = SIR JAY LEGEND add me on XBL for matches
I wonder will this variation get buffed or remain garbage
Can I ask you what you think makes this variation garbage. I don't think it is I've been messing around with it for a while.

I agree that it's not as potent as buzzsaw or tempest but I think that's because no one has taken the time to find what's good about this variation.

Have you seen my combo videos, I've been able to pull them off in live matches as well as against the AI on the hardest difficulty no lie I even have a clip of me vs scorpion in very hard with a brutality finish.

Here watch

http://xboxclips.com/BLOOD+CAPTAIN+X/3e19c69a-2512-4654-a6fc-22a8f0cc027c

After watching that do you still think it's garbage and if so why? And what do you think needs adjusting.

Byites

Wilson
Can I ask you what you think makes this variation garbage. I don't think it is I've been messing around with it for a while.

I agree that it's not as potent as buzzsaw or tempest but I think that's because no one has taken the time to find what's good about this variation.

Have you seen my combo videos, I've been able to pull them off in live matches as well as against the AI on the hardest difficulty no lie I even have a clip of me vs scorpion in very hard with a brutality finish.

Here watch

http://xboxclips.com/BLOOD CAPTAIN X/3e19c69a-2512-4654-a6fc-22a8f0cc027c

After watching that do you still think it's garbage and if so why? And what do you think needs adjusting.

All that video had in it was you hitting an xray and doing a brutality? The variation offers nothing that is superior then buzzsaw or tempest. The hat call is not worth it. You loose your option to spin while not having the hat. The damage you get from hattrick specific combos is bad compared to tempest. It literally offers nothing that is better than buzzsaw or tempest.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

All that video had in it was you hitting an xray and doing a brutality? The variation offers nothing that is superior then buzzsaw or tempest. The hat call is not worth it. You loose your option to spin while not having the hat. The damage you get from hattrick specific combos is bad compared to tempest. It literally offers nothing that is better than buzzsaw or tempest.

Whoops I forgot to post this clip as well.

http://xboxclips.com/BLOOD+CAPTAIN+X/1f1a9c62-31f1-4c79-afbb-3543fb6c488f

But either way you only answered half the question what do you think would make the variation better
If it true my needs a buff?

Byites

Wilson
Whoops I forgot to post this clip as well.

http://xboxclips.com/BLOOD CAPTAIN X/1f1a9c62-31f1-4c79-afbb-3543fb6c488f

But either way you only answered half the question what do you think would make the variation better
If it true my needs a buff?
It wont let me play the video on ipad upload it to youtube.

Im not sure what could be added i would have to sit down and think about it. But knowing the way it is at the moment it is garbage compared to the other two.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

It wont let me play the video on ipad upload it to youtube.

Im not sure what could be added i would have to sit down and think about it. But knowing the way it is at the moment it is garbage compared to the other two.
No problem, here you go.

Personally i feel the Hat callback should be unblockable, as your sacrificing damage and some special moves for future set ups.
I also think the hat should only return if you call it back and you are knocked down.

i think those two adjustments are all it needs, this variation has never struck me as the type that was meant for damage but for continuous pressure and controlling space.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Hey sup. I have been looking into Hat Trick Lao since no one wants to touch him and he looks fun. Put together a little vid of basic meterless combos and hat trap setups of b321 and standing 4. Just showing reading wakeups w/ punishes right now, options after opponent respect hat aren't shown yet. You can definitely get more damage out of your combos, im just doing simple meterless ones cuz im stuck on PC for now and its laggy recording. -__-

I have no intentions of maining him, but he is fun to play on the side. Never know, may get a cheap win in a tourney due to lack of MU exp since no one plays him. :p