What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

Wasted

Noob
He can punish moves in this game that no other character in the game can punish. That is extremely strong for high level play in my opinion. A move like Jax's dash punch which is only -6 in this game can be punished by Kung Lao's 4f ex spin.

I want you try it out for yourself in training mode. He can punish so many things on block it is insane.
Tempest has the 4F EX spin, Hat Trick is 6F, like Buzzsaw.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Im trying him out.i just have a hard time builing meter with Kung Lao. And Cassie as well :/
Do you always have to use ex to punish moves?
pm me with any question you have bro. We want to talk about hat trick in this thread

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
pm me with any question you have bro. We want to talk about hat trick in this thread
Yea really sorry about that man. Im just curious and want to get better. With only so much time i get to play the game i just want stuff. My apologies.
But i tried Hat Trick. Feels like you gotta be quite a solid player. I had no wake up options on knockdown. Well i was missing the hat. Then Cassie pretty much Caged me :/

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
I messed around with this variation and found some killer damage with it.
Usual combo to set up:

(starter string) xx spin b3,2,1 xx back hat toss (~20%)

After that, I immediately tele because they should still be landing or just getting up.

Then the combo using the hat:

(from tele 3) 44, call hat, f2,1 xx spin b3,2,1 xx back hat toss (tele again). (~33%)

If they block the tele 3 I go into the block string:

b3,2 xx call hat xx b3,2,1 EX hat toss b3,2,1 EX hat toss b3,2,1 (~15-20% in chip damage)

The block string does use a lot of meter but its nice to know that Lao has a lot of chip potential when they start to read your tele 3.
I've been able to trick them into blocking and using the tele 2, which gives you time to throw your hat somewhere.

I take back all the hate on this variation. God it's so fun
EDIT: Here's an example of the call hat combo. Its not super polished so I was a sloppy on some timing
https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/e149366a-1a18-40f0-a7a4-bde72f653a20?gamerTag=afroninja 95&scid=1a930100-429f-476c-bfaf-f01b3c1f5b39

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I messed around with this variation and found some killer damage with it.
Usual combo to set up:

(starter string) xx spin b3,2,1 xx back hat toss (~20%)

After that, I immediately tele because they should still be landing or just getting up.

Then the combo using the hat:

(from tele 3) 44, call hat, f2,1 xx spin b3,2,1 xx back hat toss (tele again). (~35%)

If they block the tele 3 I go into the block string:

b3,2 xx call hat xx b3,2,1 EX hat toss b3,2,1 EX hat toss b3,2,1 (~15-20% in chip damage)

The block string does use a lot of meter but its nice to know that Lao has a lot of chip potential when they start to read your tele 3.
I've been able to trick them into blocking and using the tele 2, which gives you time to throw your hat somewhere.

I take back all the hate on this variation. God it's so fun
Good shit it is fun I'm having a ball with hat trick I play yoshimitsu in tekken so gimmicks are my thing

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Yea really sorry about that man. Im just curious and want to get better. With only so much time i get to play the game i just want stuff. My apologies.
But i tried Hat Trick. Feels like you gotta be quite a solid player. I had no wake up options on knockdown. Well i was missing the hat. Then Cassie pretty much Caged me :/
Its all good but you can hit me up anytime for help.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
Found a corner and midscreen 40% meter less!
Corner: (with hat into the corner) 44, 4xxDD2, 4xxDF1, njp, ji3xxD4, 21

Midscreen: (spaced right after doing b22xx back hat toss) tele3, 44 RUN b321xxDD2 , f21xxDF1, ji3xxD4

just_2swift

He can also set up a hat off of a double dive kick combo example: b12xx df 1 njp, jik xx D4 xx instant D4

he can Also set up hats for combos that end in spin as well

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Reading all this sounds like its pretty good. Is this more of a gimmick class or would it be pretty solid at high level.?
Whenever i make it there

just_2swift

I was messing around in practice and found that if you are full screen throw hat trap in the corner then Tele then go to the other corner then call the hat back then Tele ASAP the hat will follow up and loop around you can change the direction of the hat by jumping hat call then Tele or hat call then jump Tele

just_2swift

D4 on hit is a free f2 check mid screen but it sometimes misses at times in the corner though if you end a combo in hat trap Oki if you're opponents have no meter for wake ups pressure with b3 2 hat call. Hat return is plus 17 to 18 on block so I came up with a frame trap b3 2 xxx hat call d4 on hit f2.

armani

Noob
I get a Soul Calibur Viola vibe from this variation. I think Kung Lao can set up some clutch situations with this variation. I'll make sure to post my findings in this thread as the weeks and months progress lol.

coolwhip

Noob
He can punish moves in this game that no other character in the game can punish. That is extremely strong for high level play in my opinion. A move like Jax's dash punch which is only -6 in this game can be punished by Kung Lao's 4f ex spin.

I want you try it out for yourself in training mode. He can punish so many things on block it is insane.
Tempest Kung Lao cannot punish Jax's dash punch. Yes, dash punch is -7 on block but the push back is too much and the ex spin doesn't reach. The only way you could punish a dash punch is if Jax does it at the end of a block string because the push back is less (but why would he do that?). A raw dash punch is safe against Kung Lao. I've tested this extensively including setting the AI to do reversal ex spin. In fact, if Lao tries to punish a dash punch with ex spin in tempest, Jax can actually whiff punish the spin with a full combo.

PS: I also think the frame data on Jax's dash punch is wrong, and it's less than -7 because if you set the AI to do reversal ex spin in buzz-saw, which is 7 frames and actually reaches (unlike tempest spin) it doesn't punish and you can block.

We have to be careful not to go by frame data in this game at this point because much of it is wrong. It's better to test stuff out.

Last edited:

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I have seen many jax players do dash punch in pressure and it can be punished by tempest lao if done in block string. Tempest is not 4f anymore so jax can't be punished all time

coolwhip

Noob
I have seen many jax players do dash punch in pressure and it can be punished by tempest lao if done in block string. Tempest is not 4f anymore so jax can't be punished all time
The move itself was not changed. Only the frame data because it was wrong.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Frames changed but tempest lao can still punish it from certain distances. And he punishes many other things that are safe vs most other chars.

you can use b22xxexbf2 and f23xxexbf2 on block as a 50/50. It can be interrupted with reversals though especially if they have armour. Also the timing for b2 after the hat is awkward because you have to wait for the hat to return before you can use the move.

So far the hattrick specific BnB's I have found are:

11212 ex straight hat 44 run b321spin, jk dk, jk dk = 31%
b12 ex straight hat 44 run b321spin, jk dk, jk dk = 32%
b2 ex straight hat 44 run b321spin, jk dk, jk dk = 32%
F23 ex straight hat 44 run b321spin, jk dk, jk dk = 33%
B321 ex spin njp, jk dk, jk dk = 34%
Off the normal hat trap: b321spin, jk dk, jk dk = 29%
Off the low hat trap: f23spin, jk dk, jk dk = 26%
And from outside b321 range you can convert a hat trap into divekick b32spin, jk dk = 22%

Ex straight hat is the main launcher for 1 meter for hattrick but it scales like crazy. The 44 combo on its own does 38% jand the strings into ex hat do about 12% to 15%. They scaled like 20% damage from this launcher.

Last edited: