What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I can't find a combo guide anywhere for Hat Trick. Anyone know where there is one? (Link?) =)

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'm an idior.
Call me crazy with a K, but doesn't it say it's outdated?
It does actually, but the OP should've updated it. Since he hasn't you could probably just refer to I GOT HANDS' Hat Trick guide, it has combos in it.

Youphemism

If anyone is still alive in this thread/variation's community then we have a new max damage corner bnb that does a little more than the one I found however long ago thanks to @Fluffyfawn3713 . You sacrifice a little swag for more damage by doing:
B22~DF2, D1, 4~HCB, 4~spin, jk~dk, 21 (34%)
rather than
B22~DF2, D4~HCB, B321~spin, jk~dk, 21 (32%)

And they're both pretty much equally as hard so take your pick :p

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
If anyone is still alive in this thread/variation's community then we have a new max damage corner bnb that does a little more than the one I found however long ago thanks to @Fluffyfawn3713 . You sacrifice a little swag for more damage by doing:
rather than

Ahh, cool =)
Thanks!

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Hello everybody,
I might be a little late but since i have watched the eddy wang hat trick compilation I am really interested in trying hat trick, since he was doing some amazing stuff in there.
Now i have a question regarding the hat traps.

Which hat trap is more beneficial? The low one dfd2 or the normal one df2? Does it depend more on the situation?

Thanks in advance ^^

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hello everybody,
I might be a little late but since i have watched the eddy wang hat trick compilation I am really interested in trying hat trick, since he was doing some amazing stuff in there.

Which hat trap is more beneficial? The low one dfd2 or the normal one df2? Does it depend more on the situation?

Thanks in advance ^^
Away and front traps are all useful, it requires more coordination, so player will have to know exactly what he is doing.
The low one sets a low starter mixup game, the mid one is much faster on recovery but just hits mid, but it follows him around whenever he goes. the ex ones are +13 on the ground at blast radius, while regular HCB is -7 at blast radius on block, and the further the opponent is away from his HCB even regular, if blocked when he is already in motion he becomes plus, so you should always use those to set offense when the hat is coming from a long way with you already in motion.

Hat Trick its not exactly a trap character, he is mostly a very reset heavy, chip heavy and momentum heavy character, he is like a F1 car, when everything is working accordingly to its motion, he is amazing, but when parts of his tools starts falling apart he is absolutely terrible.

The rest depends of your coordination on how you want to take the MU, you need to decide either you keep the momentum going by set different traps just to keep building your meter, so you will always have offensive options when needed and do chip damage most of the time, or you want to deal some damage and have some extra work to set some traps to keep them pinned.

On my recent matches, i'm starting to play more reset heavy, and keep having traps on opposite directions of my opponent, so i can keep the chip game up while building pretty much a good amount of meter.

RyuKazuya

Away and front traps are all useful, it requires more coordination, so player will have to know exactly what he is doing.
The low one sets a low starter mixup game, the mid one is much faster on recovery but just hits mid, but it follows him around whenever he goes. the ex ones are +13 on the ground at blast radius, while regular HCB is -7 at blast radius on block, and the further the opponent is away from his HCB even regular, if blocked when he is already in motion he becomes plus, so you should always use those to set offense when the hat is coming from a long way with you already in motion.

Hat Trick its not exactly a trap character, he is mostly a very reset heavy, chip heavy and momentum heavy character, he is like a F1 car, when everything is working accordingly to its motion, he is amazing, but when parts of his tools starts falling apart he is absolutely terrible.

The rest depends of your coordination on how you want to take the MU, you need to decide either you keep the momentum going by set different traps just to keep building your meter, so you will always have offensive options when needed and do chip damage most of the time, or you want to deal some damage and have some extra work to set some traps to keep them pinned.

On my recent matches, i'm starting to play more reset heavy, and keep having traps on opposite directions of my opponent, so i can keep the chip game up while building pretty much a good amount of meter.
This sounds even more interesting to me right now.
Im going to hit the lab asap. Thanks for the informative explanation. :)

Youphemism

Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance ^^
It's more situational I think.

Straight hat trap:
Great midscreen.
4, B32, 112124, 3, B2 and B22 cancelled into straight hat trap are all safe on block (except a few of those against Reptile but who's going to spend a bar for a slide punish on that? Lol)

Low hat trap:
Most powerful in the corner but also useful midscreen.
Slower to recover so if you cancel a string into low hat trap you're more likely to be unsafe.
The low hat trap is slightly slower to recover but is useful for mixups.
Can be used for a 44/4~callback overhead/low mixup (44 has a gap but 4~callback doesn't) or a jump in punch/callback mixup.

Away hat trap:
Better midscreen than in the corner.
Can make teleport more useful (although still gimmicky), ie. end a combo in away hat trap then teleport to the other side for a little extra chip then apply pressure and call the hat back.
After teleport into pressure, the callback can sometimes be used to break armour due to how far away the hat is being called back from/how long it'll take to hit the opponent.

Above hat trap:
The only use I've found for it is that B321~callback connects if you've placed an above hat trap when you have the opponent in the corner.
Not a reliable anti-air.

That's all I can think of right now :p

RyuKazuya

It's more situational I think.

Straight hat trap:
Great midscreen.
4, B32, 112124, 3, B2 and B22 cancelled into straight hat trap are all safe on block (except a few of those against Reptile but who's going to spend a bar for a slide punish on that? Lol)

Low hat trap:
Most powerful in the corner but also useful midscreen.
Slower to recover so if you cancel a string into low hat trap you're more likely to be unsafe.
The low hat trap is slightly slower to recover but is useful for mixups.
Can be used for a 44/4~callback overhead/low mixup (44 has a gap but 4~callback doesn't) or a jump in punch/callback mixup.

Away hat trap:
Better midscreen than in the corner.
Can make teleport more useful (although still gimmicky), ie. end a combo in away hat trap then teleport to the other side for a little extra chip then apply pressure and call the hat back.
After teleport into pressure, the callback can sometimes be used to break armour due to how far away the hat is being called back from/how long it'll take to hit the opponent.

Above hat trap:
The only use I've found for it is that B321~callback connects if you've placed an above hat trap when you have the opponent in the corner.
Not a reliable anti-air.

That's all I can think of right now :p
That are some great setups man thanks a lot. The away hat trap is amazing never considered that it could be used like that :) its getting better and better ^^
Now i finally know how to apply pressure and how to pull off some useful hattraps.
When it comes down to the low hat traps would you rather use it after a knockdown or 21 combo ender?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
That are some great setups man thanks a lot. The away hat trap is amazing never considered that it could be used like that :) its getting better and better ^^
Now i finally know how to apply pressure and how to pull off some useful hattraps.
When it comes down to the low hat traps would you rather use it after a knockdown or 21 combo ender?
Use it by canceling from B321, is the most useful string to cancel into any trap, since its a hard knockdown and is un-techable as well, your opponent cannot tech roll or quick rise the instant you cancel into it.

Youphemism

No problemo! I use it mostly after a 21 ender in the corner, but you can also use it after B321 as an ender midscreen.
Use it by canceling from B321, is the most useful string to cancel into any trap, since its a hard knockdown and is un-techable as well, your opponent cannot tech roll or quick rise the instant you cancel into it.
Remember to mention B321~hat trap is good on HIT, since it's full combo punishable on block :p

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
rather than

There is another one that keep them standing with your hat behind them for a bar of meter! B22, DF2, 11,11,D2,MB Throw to the corner and you are plus a lot and you have the hat behind them! That works with B321 starter too. So B321 Spin, Deep NJP, DF2, D2, MB Throw in to the corner then do what ever you want to do. The 44 is: 44, spin, Deep NJP, DF2, D2, MB Throw to the corner to whatever you want! There are more advanced versions of those combos, but the ones I listed can never be dropped even on females! From the B321 you can plant Low hat and still D2 into the MB Throw if your execution is on point!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
There is another one that keep them standing with your hat behind them for a bar of meter! B22, DF2, 11,11,D2,MB Throw to the corner and you are plus a lot and you have the hat behind them! That works with B321 starter too. So B321 Spin, Deep NJP, DF2, D2, MB Throw in to the corner then do what ever you want to do. The 44 is: 44, spin, Deep NJP, DF2, D2, MB Throw to the corner to whatever you want! There are more advanced versions of those combos, but the ones I listed can never be dropped even on females! From the B321 you can plant Low hat and still D2 into the MB Throw if your execution is on point!
MB throw doesn't help Hat trick that much, if you're going to restand with the hat behind, the whole purpose should be loopable chip, so instead of spending one bar for restand, use it on the ex HCB to be at +13 so you can loop another 11212 for more meter.

This is also why i end my combos with b321~hat trap instead, it allows for the free hat setup.

Youphemism

Those are pretty unoptimised combos though, and you can get a setup with the hat behind them without meter. If you were going to go for a MB throw reset you could just do the optimal combo I listed but do ex throw instead of 21 after jk~dk.

Roko1985

MB throw doesn't help Hat trick that much, if you're going to restand with the hat behind, the whole purpose should be loopable chip, so instead of spending one bar for restand, use it on the ex HCB to be at +13 so you can loop another 11212 for more meter.

This is also why i end my combos with b321~hat trap instead, it allows for the free hat setup.
They can wake up! You almost build that bar back. In the corner I finish my combos with 112124 DF2 instead B321. To end with B321 in a long damaging combos in the corner is impossible! After a MB restand you can staggar with 11 then throw and still have the hat out after that!

Roko1985

Those are pretty unoptimised combos though, and you can get a setup with the hat behind them without meter. If you were going to go for a MB throw reset you could just do the optimal combo I listed but do ex throw instead of 21 after jk~dk.
If you do that you just restand them! The combos I listed restands and you have the hat out! Those combos do 4-5% less damage then standard BnBs, but there are more damaging advanced versions if you are good with execution. I just gave an example for very easy versions!

Roko1985

Those are pretty unoptimised combos though, and you can get a setup with the hat behind them without meter. If you were going to go for a MB throw reset you could just do the optimal combo I listed but do ex throw instead of 21 after jk~dk.[/QUOTE
I would love to see those hat behind MB Throw rest and combos of yours that do more damage! Can you post them?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
They can wake up! You almost build that bar back. In the corner I finish my combos with 112124 DF2 instead B321. To end with B321 in a long damaging combos in the corner is impossible! After a MB restand you can staggar with 11 then throw and still have the hat out after that!
If they wakeup with my hat on their back they're risking getting a more damaging punish.

Everyone is conditioned to not wakeup once you cancel B321 into hat trap or low hat trap, this usually sets up for free pressure.

Kung Lao has slow normals with weird hitboxes, stagger with him aside from F2, and B32 isn't much of a thing.

Roko1985

If they wakeup with my hat on their back they're risking getting a more damaging punish.

Everyone is conditioned to not wakeup once you cancel B321 into hat trap or low hat trap, this usually sets up for free pressure.

Kung Lao has slow normals with weird hitboxes, stagger with him aside from F2, and B32 isn't much of a thing.
Every time you do that, you are in 50/50. Are they gonna wake up or are they gonna hold block? Hat trick doesn't have great damage so just always hold block........I don't know man. It has been working for me.

Roko1985

By the way there are so many safe wake ups in this game! With the hat out, you can't use spin to punish anything under minus 10-11 frames.