What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

Ehh, you don't have to have that same response for everything. You're making it seem like getting a hat out and calling it back is like trying to freeze water on a stove. Honestly, you're really downplaying the variation. Yes the hat has issues but the character is not the only thing making the variation viable.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Man people who don't understand the character further than watching Scar vs Sonic, or losing a few games to some Hat Trick online, or any other sort of minimal investment need to stop coming in here and trying to school people who been on the variation for months. Hat Trick needs improvements, you guys can sit there free as a bird eating Hatarangs on block like Sonic, or holding Hat Callbacks immediately after Hat Traps, but that is your own fault, familiarise yourself with the variation a bit better

Ehh, you don't have to have that same response for everything. You're making it seem like getting a hat out and calling it back is like trying to freeze water on a stove. Honestly, you're really downplaying the variation. Yes the hat has issues but the character is not the only thing making the variation viable.
When he's right he's right. If the correct response to everything is the same response to everything, then maybe it's those statements that are the problem

I can agree the the call back needs hitbox fixes, but some of the things are just unnecessary. And are you implying that I haven't used this variation for more than a week?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I can agree the the call back needs hitbox fixes, but some of the things are just unnecessary. And are you implying that I haven't used this variation for more than a week?
I've definitely been using it since launch, and every single time it got buffed.

My statement its not from a 2 weeks or a month KL, i've been playing the variation since it was way more garbo, just fixing HCB won't solve his issues the main issue with KL its not just HCB.
i really don't need to explain myself again do it? i've been doing it since forever. And definitely i took much more time than you going into everything i mean everything the variation has to offer to figure strong and weak points.

As of right now, the variation has some pretty bad weak points who overlaps the good ones.

You guys need to stop dropping by into a character you guys playing for about a month and tell ppl who have been playing it since forever that some of the things we're suggesting is totally unnecessary.

Last edited:

God Confirm

Which of Eddies changes do you think are unnecessary, and where is his reasoning flawed concerning them?

You're assuming that I've only used this variation for about a month. It would be a little nicer if you asked next time. So I'll skip the rest of your post for when you learn a few manners sir.

And as for the other gentleman. A hat call back link is very unnecessary. Hitbox adjustments and a call back on teleport would be plenty enough.

God Confirm

You're assuming that I've only used this variation for about a month. It would be a little nicer if you asked next time. So I'll skip the rest of your post for when you learn a few manners sir.

And as for the other gentleman. A hat call back link is very unnecessary. Hitbox adjustments and a call back on teleport would be plenty enough.
Thanks, but you are just saying words if you don't give any reasoning Eddy provided excellent explanation behind his buff suggestions, that's why I specifically asked you not just what it is that is wrong in his suggestions but why?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You're mistaken if you think i dunno who you are, i've seen you playing Hat Trick before and i know you have good execution, so lets just skip that, because that is not what this is about, this is about how to make hat trick a viable variation.

Your response was pretty vague, he needs details and so do i.

I know my english isn't very good since its not my first language, and some of my statements can come out very ambiguous. Before we go any further on that road, i would like to know exactly what did you understood when i said hat call back links.

Only then you can explain in details why you think he doesn't need.

As for the HCB out of the telport, in order to not make this a huge wall i will explain why he doesn't need that there later on.

God Confirm

I've given you the reason. It's unnecessary. He DOESNT need. It sounds more like lack of utilization of the away hat.
That's not reasoning. Eddy Wang says it is necessary because [goes into multiple paragraphs of detail explaining why].

You say it is unnecessary, because... Why exactly? Just trying to understand your perspective here, you can't honestly expect anyone to take your empty statements as serious opinions right?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
That's it, i'm done here, how do you expect to have an intelligent discussion with a fellow hat trick player who supposedly plays hat trick for months and can't explain in counter arguments why my opinions aren't valid?

Where is the NRS office?

Sorry, I'm not one to type walls of text to explains the unethical reasonings for extra moves. I respect ya, but you'd have to either be blind or incapable to downplay hat trick.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Sorry, I'm not one to type walls of text to explains the unethical reasonings for extra moves. I respect ya, but you'd have to either be blind or incapable to downplay hat trick.
This is how Green arrow ended up being shit in Injustice

You don't have the right to say a thing is unethical until you explain yourself why in order to anyone else involved into the same discussion understand your reasons behind it, doing empty statements will not get you anywhere with anyone.

I type walls for better understatement of how it works, why it works and why needs or doesn't fixing.

How do you expect anyone to listen to you if you can't explain why simple cause "i'm not the type of explaining" seriously?

You're right. I have no business here. I'll allow the downplaying to continue. You know, there's a difference between wanting to help a variation become better than treating it like it needs surgery.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You're right. I have no business here. I'll allow the downplaying to continue. You know, there's a difference between wanting to help a variation become better than treating it like it needs surgery.
If you really don't have nothing to say then you really don't need to make empty statements, until you do: Hat trick needs surgery.

@Eddy Wang I have been playing Kung Lao since day 1 so i do have a great insight on the character.But you are correct I misunderstand your argument. Kung Lao as character is viable but his variation doesn't help him is very true.I do see the hidden potential for hat trick but it does need a lot work to be a good variation.
My wish list for buffs would be.(you might think im crazy but hey i want these)IMO Hat trick is all about controlling the neutral.this is not in any orders nor am saying i want all of these just list of different things i think he should have one or the other for a few these.

• ex hat call back should have armor
  • hat call should have meter burn for instant call back
  • hat call back adjust the hit box to be bigger it can because it some times will whiff on (charcters if they crouch)
  • faster recovery for all hat trap and call back
  • After hat trap the( hat )should be become a interact-able for kung lao only either giving him the options throw the hat or jump off hat maybe both
  • hat toss should have better recover and be air throwable
  • you should be able to set traps in the air diagonal
  • you should be able set traps while jumping
  • you should be able to call back during teleport
  • hat trick teleport kung lao should go up instead of down like his mk9 teleport
  • dragon step string F2,1,D1 should be OGT or restand or specal cancelable
  • you should be able to hat toss after hat trap .the hat should move from it current location.
  • hat call back high and low hit stun should the same as ex
  • B2 without hat should be an overhead
  • i did have the idea you should teleport where you set a trap at
  • i want something for high hat call but i dont know what

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
@Sirius Jones
We dont need another Tempest in the game imho. Just few tweaks and he should be all good. I personally dont want to see the massive army of hat trick everywhere. He requires and he delivers to those who can manage and it should stay that way.

@Sirius Jones
We dont need another Tempest in the game imho. Just few tweaks and he should be all good. I personally dont want to see the massive army of hat trick everywhere. He requires and he delivers to those who can manage and it should stay that way.
one whats wrong with tempest ?its perfectly fine
two how would hat trick become the next tempest ?2 different play styles and its not easy mode
everything i listed are tweaks.I again said he should get one or another this is just list of options.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
one whats wrong with tempest ?its perfectly fine
two how would hat trick become the next tempest ?2 different play styles and its not easy mode
everything i listed are tweaks.I again said he should get one or another this is just list of options.
1. He is not or he might be. Only time will tell (within next patch)
2. You Are right, regardless of buffs he still requires a lot, a lot more so it wont be an easy wagon anyway.
3. For You drinking beer 4-5 times a week may be not normal but to Me its perfectly normal. You fallwin' ?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang I have been playing Kung Lao since day 1 so i do have a great insight on the character.But you are correct I misunderstand your argument. Kung Lao as character is viable but his variation doesn't help him is very true.I do see the hidden potential for hat trick but it does need a lot work to be a good variation.
My wish list for buffs would be.(you might think im crazy but hey i want these)IMO Hat trick is all about controlling the neutral.this is not in any orders nor am saying i want all of these just list of different things i think he should have one or the other for a few these.

• ex hat call back should have armor
  • hat call should have meter burn for instant call back
  • hat call back adjust the hit box to be bigger it can because it some times will whiff on (charcters if they crouch)
  • faster recovery for all hat trap and call back
  • After hat trap the( hat )should be become a interact-able for kung lao only either giving him the options throw the hat or jump off hat maybe both
  • hat toss should have better recover and be air throwable
  • you should be able to set traps in the air diagonal
  • you should be able set traps while jumping
  • you should be able to call back during teleport
  • hat trick teleport kung lao should go up instead of down like his mk9 teleport
  • dragon step string F2,1,D1 should be OGT or restand or specal cancelable
  • you should be able to hat toss after hat trap .the hat should move from it current location.
  • hat call back high and low hit stun should the same as ex
  • B2 without hat should be an overhead
  • i did have the idea you should teleport where you set a trap at
  • i want something for high hat call but i dont know what
I can see why ppl want HCB out of teleport, i still find it unnecessary due a lot of reasons, Lao teleport itself is slow, doesn't track well, and you can't immediately attack once you come out, there is only one safe option out of which is negative on block, the one that is positive on block is incredibly slow and hits high.
I lost the count of how many times i have reacted to projectiles with teleport only to whiff my punish due lao not tracking properly, besides someone expecting a regular tele will hit you out of it most of the time or escape it, since delaying doesn't track either. Air HCB is also negative on block, one other reason to not have this tool out of tele, since will only make it more punishable. So having this option for a bad move just make it worse, since if you get hit out of it, your traveling hat will still disappear.

Aside from increasing the Hitbox of HCB to not whiff all the time, and a few less disadvantage on his pressure game aside of what i've been keeping repeating myself into, everything else is disposable.

You don't need another overhead opener when hatless, since the purpose of low hat trap is a conditioning to tool to land F4 for free, if they stand block thinking you're going for F4, it opens them up for block pressure which builds your meter fast or low HCB.