What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Is anyone using the following string as a starter?

Ji1, 22, ex lowchakram

ji1 seems to be more plus than ji2 to me, but not completely sure. Also, you might ask why not do 221 rather than just 22? I haven't done quite enough reps with it, but I think just doing 22 into low chakram is better for catching people off guard and hitting them with the low chakram. When you include the 1 after 22, it gives them more time to react and block low. Interested if anyone has used this tech, as it seems pretty sound.

Zedzs

Shaolin
Is anyone using the following string as a starter?

Ji1, 22, ex lowchakram

ji1 seems to be more plus than ji2 to me, but not completely sure. Also, you might ask why not do 221 rather than just 22? I haven't done quite enough reps with it, but I think just doing 22 into low chakram is better for catching people off guard and hitting them with the low chakram. When you include the 1 after 22, it gives them more time to react and block low. Interested if anyone has used this tech, as it seems pretty sound.
I've found that ji1 is more plus also. Pretty sound, if I get the guide thread going this will make for a valuable addition. Thanks man :)

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
low chakram low profiling is good news for us, will help with trades in matches such as SZ. B2 buff should also prove useful, but we'll see how much.

Also, kinda surprised they didn't buff ancestral at all

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Dam that makes me sad. Keep me posted please im in class xD.
Re ancestral, they made no mention of it on the stream, so I am assuming there is no buff to it, but they did mention at the beginning of the stream that they were not going to mention every single detail of the patch notes on the stream. However, I think they would have mentioned something significant to ancestral (e.g., an increase to how long you hold stun arrow).

Re ancestral, they made no mention of it on the stream, so I am assuming there is no buff to it, but they did mention at the beginning of the stream that they were not going to mention every single detail of the patch notes on the stream. However, I think they would have mentioned something significant to ancestral (e.g., an increase to how long you hold stun arrow).
That is the ONLY buff i ask for as a day 1 Ancestral main. That alone will benefit the variation in so many ways. Then i will switch back from Shaolin.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
  • Kung Jin (Shaolin) – Low Chakram now sets hit state to ducking
I am not positive what the above means. There is another bullet point in the KJ section of the patch notes that says his low chakram will low profile high projectiles, but the above is a separate bullet point, so I'm not sure what they mean. Does it mean your opponent will end up in a ducking position when hit by low chakram?

• Kung Jin (Shaolin) – Low Chakram now sets hit state to ducking
I am not positive what the above means. There is another bullet point in the KJ section of the patch notes that says his low chakram will low profile high projectiles, but the above is a separate bullet point, so I'm not sure what they mean. Does it mean your opponent will end up in a ducking position when hit by low chakram?
I have no idea but low chakram alrdy ducked.. i guess its going to be a longer crouch so more fun for us.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I have no idea but low chakram alrdy ducked.. i guess its going to be a longer crouch so more fun for us.
It will also be interesting to see how significant the B2 buff is. It is less negative and has increased range, should be interesting to see how much that benefits the neutral game

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye
That is the ONLY buff i ask for as a day 1 Ancestral main. That alone will benefit the variation in so many ways. Then i will switch back from Shaolin.
It's like the devs at NRS forgot they made Ancestral to begin with lol. Those timers are holding this variation back from becoming complete.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
@STB CoRzz @Omgblaze1995

in shaolin, do you guys often use F2 D1 as a starter and end it in ways other than u2? I've noticed that it is cancellable into up arrow for 25% of so in the corner, but am trying to figure out other ways to use it, especially mid screen as an oki tool. I've seen people use it midsceen in bojutsu to cancel it into the bo-swat, but I'm not sure there is anything quite as effective in Shaolin

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
@STB CoRzz @Omgblaze1995

in shaolin, do you guys often use F2 D1 as a starter and end it in ways other than u2? I've noticed that it is cancellable into up arrow for 25% of so in the corner, but am trying to figure out other ways to use it, especially mid screen as an oki tool. I've seen people use it midsceen in bojutsu to cancel it into the bo-swat, but I'm not sure there is anything quite as effective in Shaolin
You won't be getting much damage from it, honestly. I'd just use it to open people up if I even do use it. Basically the high level people will block high and then low because they know whatever comes next will be able to block low. If they block correctly then I'm in trouble.

If I were to use it, I'd use it in the corner. I think you can cancel it into mb straight arrow which would result in full combo in the corner and plus frames on block.

Using it midscreen is so pointless, any special cancel you do leads to like 15% or so its bad. If you do it midscreen do f2 d1 ex flip kick so its a high low high mixup and your safe if blocked. Also notations for corner 29% dmg combo is : f2 d1 db 2 IaDK 3,4 upkick.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I've been playing against two of my friends who main war god Kotal. I'm trying to figure out the best punish after blocking Kotal's EX overhead sword. Any suggestions?

Darth Rambo

GT:DarthxXxRambo PSN:Darth__Rambo
I've been playing against two of my friends who main war god Kotal. I'm trying to figure out the best punish after blocking Kotal's EX overhead sword. Any suggestions?
221 punishes but they have to be right next to you otherwise its safe.

Last edited:

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
@YOMI SLAYER way to represent the way of the Shaolin at SCR. Even though Foxy was too much in the end (as he was for everyone), it was good to see you do some damage on behalf of the Chakram Brotherhood, especially that double flawless of Dink's Quan, that was gdlk

@YOMI SLAYER id honestly like to have a long discussion with you with matchups and certain combo enders for those certain matchups. I think b212+4 is so underused for matchups where you want to force your opponent to get in again.

Parasurama

Dragon
I am starting to play Shaolin instead of Bo jutsu, any advice..... I notice I do not use the up flying kick that much, how safe is it, and the overhead punch? what is the point of ex overhead punch? The main issue I find is meter for my mixups do be fairly safe and give damage, so what meter building strategies are there? I like fighting at about mid range for my b2, b1, or f2 (which feels quite slow) and NJP. I love the f3, cancel into low ex chakram.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I am starting to play Shaolin instead of Bo jutsu, any advice..... I notice I do not use the up flying kick that much, how safe is it, and the overhead punch? what is the point of ex overhead punch? The main issue I find is meter for my mixups do be fairly safe and give damage, so what meter building strategies are there? I like fighting at about mid range for my b2, b1, or f2 (which feels quite slow) and NJP. I love the f3, cancel into low ex chakram.

That's how. I know what the holes are in my offense so before I get blown up for optimization... I test what the opponent knows and adjust. If he knows he can armor in between 221 I use 22. If he armors after ending reset with arrow I end reset with 11.

Shaolin is all about safety, resets, and oki after hard knockdowns.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew

That's how. I know what the holes are in my offense so before I get blown up for optimization... I test what the opponent knows and adjust. If he knows he can armor in between 221 I use 22. If he armors after ending reset with arrow I end reset with 11.

Nice first round there. Kaoz is no slouch either.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew

also when you say you "end reset with 11", do you just mean you do 221, and then do 11 rather than straight arrow?

JesterSMX

also when you say you "end reset with 11", do you just mean you do 221, and then do 11 rather than straight arrow?
11 instead of 221-arrow. 221-arrow leaves you at +10. Ji2 11 leaves you at plus a bajillion (+30 something). You lose a couple % damage but they have no option but to block your next mixup (which they probably won't know and start pressing buttons). They can get out of 221-arrow by backdashing, armor, and jump.

Renzokuken

Gay Hawkeye

That flawless though.

It's interesting how you end his strings with db4 instead of the usual db3 + d4. Is there a specific advantage to that?

JesterSMX

It's a combination of a bad habit because its unsafe and fear of d4 not hitting and losing the hard knockdown. If d4 whiffs you're vulnerable. Also in that video he didn't block it once so I kept doing it haha.