What's new

General/Other - Shaolin Kung Jin (Shaolin) Discussion Thread

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
One string I am trying to start using more is 221 xx DF2. It seems good due to the quick start up and plus frames on DF2. I am trying to determine what the best follow is for that to best take advantage of the plus frames. The main follow up the comes to mind is B12 xx Ex low chakram because that has enough range, but I am interested to hear what you guys are using for the follow up on this.

One string I am trying to start using more is 221 xx DF2. It seems good due to the quick start up and plus frames on DF2. I am trying to determine what the best follow is for that to best take advantage of the plus frames. The main follow up the comes to mind is B12 xx Ex low chakram because that has enough range, but I am interested to hear what you guys are using for the follow up on this.
That works, practice hit confirming instead of going straight to ex low chakram, shaolin is very meter dependent if you use a bar you at least want to take 30% from them. B123 is -2 i believe so hit confirm b12 low ex chakram or go into b123

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
That works, practice hit confirming instead of going straight to ex low chakram, shaolin is very meter dependent if you use a bar you at least want to take 30% from them. B123 is -2 i believe so hit confirm b12 low ex chakram or go into b123
Makes sense - yeah I didn't mean to imply that the combo would end with the ex low chakram (e.g., you could continue with NJP, divekick, run, 3,4 xx upkick etc.). I was just trying to figure out the best second step after you land 221 xx DF2

Makes sense - yeah I didn't mean to imply that the combo would end with the ex low chakram (e.g., you could continue with NJP, divekick, run, 3,4 xx upkick etc.). I was just trying to figure out the best second step after you land 221 xx DF2
Since your +10 you have options. Just mix it up at times with your 50/50 options. Also sometimes i like to run and d3 on block and then go into a quick string to see if i got them trying to counter poke me.

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
I'm actually trying to pick up this variation but how are you ending combos with 11, and I can get 35% using 221 lc njp dk run 34 up kick,
what combo are you using for 36% and corner
also what are you using to end with 11 are you just doing 11 after the dive kick?

Kung Jin is really good and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how unpredictable he can be compared to Liu Kang and Kenshi because he can throw in a low or overhead in almost any situation. He is a space control character with sweet pressure because of his range, Shaolin is better at controlling the far range while Bojutsu is strong up close. I don't recommend Ancestral, it seems to lack heavily.

People say Kung Jin is easy because he can hit confirm very smoothly with Bojutsu (most people play Bojutsu) either with the bow swing or dive kick. His execution can be a little difficult online if you're doing optimal combos but for 2-4% less damage you can make them really easy. Off any launcher just do a divekick, b2,1-special (bo spin if Bojutsu). Landed a neutral jump punch? Do a dive kick then b2,1,special. Landed bo swing? Same thing. The timing is fairly paced as well.

Most people would agree his best variation is Bojutsu because of the armored launcher and much higher damage than the other two variations.
What makes Shaolin better at range? I'm guessing it's the low or high Chakaram. Can you EX Chakaram an opponent fullscreen and have time to run up and combo? Or is it just a better projectile than Straight Arrow? Does Shaolin gain any good fast (or safe) strings?

I just picked up Kung Jin the other week and am enjoying him, but I'm not experienced enough to understand the differences between Shaolin and Bojutsu (besides special moves).

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
what are you guys mainly using for a wakeup attack in shaolin given that the Bojutsu MB DB3 is not available? I have pretty much only been using MB BF3 as a GTFO mechanism, but it sometimes feels like a waste of bar. I haven't really tried MB up kick as a wakeup
It varies for me on the situation. I like to mb up flying kick because it gets me out of the corner if I miss and if I hit then I still get out of the corner after d4. I also like the overhead option of flip kick and the pushback of flying kick...so it just depends on the situation. If I got the life lead, I'm using flying kick every time to push them away to midscreen zone which is what I think Shaolin's best range is. If I'm playing catch up and they have no bar, I do up flying kick, d4 so I can pressure on their wake-up...if it's not in the corner, I'll sometimes use flip kick lol

FinalBoss_FGC

What makes Shaolin better at range? I'm guessing it's the low or high Chakaram. Can you EX Chakaram an opponent fullscreen and have time to run up and combo? Or is it just a better projectile than Straight Arrow? Does Shaolin gain any good fast (or safe) strings?

I just picked up Kung Jin the other week and am enjoying him, but I'm not experienced enough to understand the differences between Shaolin and Bojutsu (besides special moves).
Shaolin has the low Chakram that the opponent HAS to respect, if they don't then you're just clipping their shins for free. If you can read the jump in, you can up flying kick or up chakram. You can keep them out forever if you make the right reads. But once they get close, you have the good low/overhead options that b1 and f2 give you and on hit you can mb low chakram into full combo or jip, 22 for standing reset to overhead/low/throw...on block you can either go for regular low chakram or the overhead flip kick at the end of the combo. He just has much better tools than Bojutsu by losing just a couple % of damage. I think it's worth it for sure.

Shaolin has the low Chakram that the opponent HAS to respect, if they don't then you're just clipping their shins for free. If you can read the jump in, you can up flying kick or up chakram. You can keep them out forever if you make the right reads. But once they get close, you have the good low/overhead options that b1 and f2 give you and on hit you can mb low chakram into full combo or jip, 22 for standing reset to overhead/low/throw...on block you can either go for regular low chakram or the overhead flip kick at the end of the combo. He just has much better tools than Bojutsu by losing just a couple % of damage. I think it's worth it for sure.
Speaking from no experience with Shaolin, does B214, F24 and B14 have the same effect for that overhead/ low mixup game for Bojutsu? I know they're by no means fullscreen high/ low pressure, but Bojutsu definitely has low strings that should be respected, right?

Regarding using Chakram to catch jump ins, does the Chakram throw recover in time to catch the falling opponent with a divekick or NJP for full combo punish?

Are there any good Shaolin tutorial videos out there? If I knew YOMI Slayer's TYM name, I'd ask him if he plans on making one.

FinalBoss_FGC

Speaking from no experience with Shaolin, does B214, F24 and B14 have the same effect for that overhead/ low mixup game for Bojutsu? I know they're by no means fullscreen high/ low pressure, but Bojutsu definitely has low strings that should be respected, right?

Regarding using Chakram to catch jump ins, does the Chakram throw recover in time to catch the falling opponent with a divekick or NJP for full combo punish?

Are there any good Shaolin tutorial videos out there? If I knew YOMI Slayer's TYM name, I'd ask him if he plans on making one.
1 - b214, f24 and b14 are the same strings all the way through. instead of b14 for Shaolin, I use b12 cuz it's just better and cancels better...but Bojutsu does have the low bo swing that is good at checking people in a certain distance.

2 - no it does not...they need to fix it...

3 - no sir

1 - b214, f24 and b14 are the same strings all the way through. instead of b14 for Shaolin, I use b12 cuz it's just better and cancels better...but Bojutsu does have the low bo swing that is good at checking people in a certain distance.

2 - no it does not...they need to fix it...

3 - no sir
Thanks for the rundown. I'll try spending more time Shaolin.

FinalBoss_FGC

Thanks for the rundown. I'll try spending more time Shaolin.
well don't play Shaolin just cuz I think it's better lol play whatever you are comfortable with. I just find Shaolin's more options better cuz I had tons of options with Batman in Injustice and it's nice having that on Kung Jin

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
random observation. In recent weeks I noticed that NJP whiffs more often, even in instances where it seems like it would be perfect timing, the staff seems to just whiff to the left or right of the jumping opponent. Anyone else notice an increase to NJP whiffs? It made me wonder if this was a stealth nerf to somewhat weaken Jin's NJP since everyone bitches about it lol

well don't play Shaolin just cuz I think it's better lol play whatever you are comfortable with. I just find Shaolin's more options better cuz I had tons of options with Batman in Injustice and it's nice having that on Kung Jin
Hahaha, I'm definitely not doing just because of that. I am curious as to what makes variations (in general) so different. I'm probably not at a high enough level to notice the subtle differences.

Hey sorry i have not replied to anyone in a while. But to answer all questions about Shaolin Kung Jin i will be making "The Advanced Shaolin Kung JIn Guide" as soon as i get back to YOMI this thursday. Thanks you guys all for your patience!

I think the variation opens people up and kind of forces them to play your game. No one wants to get into a zonning war against ancestral, also when your in neutral your opponent should be antsy and afraid to whiff an attack because a full punish from ancestral will be about 30% + reset back to neutral where i can either use stun arrow or meter burn arrows to frustrate the opponent more. I think my job as ancestral is to frustrate the player and force him to come in and never the opposite lol.

I think Ancestral can be played in different ways tbh and i really like how i can switch up at any time while playing it. However i wont lie that it is extremely annoying when i open someone up then my stun arrow goes away. I think if they fix the timer id pay more attention to ancestral because of now im still mainning Shaolin. Ancestral is still def viable imo.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Have you guys noticed how 221 stuffs armor? I find that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, it seems the timing may be strict.

Ive Been maining shoalin since day one and have a good many combos my favorite is 112xxmb lowchakram njp divekick b 21 db3 d4 i think it hits for 33%

If Anybody wants to play some matches hit me up gt GCBone1200 i have a pretty good shaolin and would like to learn some more with him