What's new

Kryptonite Council Episode 10: Locked n Loaded, Vortexes, $1000 MM proposals, Rico Joins in too!

Who Win WIll Youmacon This Week?

• P2W

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • General M2dave

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Perfect Legend

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Forever King

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • GGa 16 bit

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Newbiesauce

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • PimPimJIm

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 12.2%

• Total voters

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I have a totally different view. I absolutely detest "First to ___" whatevers; I'm a LOOOOOOONG set kind of guy. You see, in a first to ten, it's like the very beginning to a show. You only pick up a few habits committed by the player, and very little knowledge of the opponent (character). Essentially nothing is beneficial from a FT10 except to see who can win 10 matches first. Playing long sets allows for both players to adapt to one another and thus learning the MU...

My point is this; If I were to do a first to 10 against a good Ares player using my KF, I'd probably lose. Not because the MU is bad, but because I know nothing about fighting Ares. It would take me days of playing long sets to start to understand the core aspects of that particular MU. Just my perspective ;)
Meh. I disagree, I feel like there's a definite point where you stop learning in a set. Likewise, I feel a FT10 is great because it gives you an immediate look at what you need to work on, and it lets it be fresh in your mind. It lets the player evolve quicker because they see current short-comings and become better at fighting the character than just the player.

Call me old fashioned, but when I fight M2Dave I'd prefer to have more "Zod" experience than "Pig of the Hut" experience. Sure I can pick some things up to beat PotH, but I need to be able to fight Zod when fighting Zod, not Pig when I'm fighting Dave (from what I understand, they also have separate spectrums of style). I feel a FT10 allows this more than a FT30 or FT300, it gives you good amounts of experience and lets you prepare for specific elements you have trouble with.

Not to mention it lets you test your findings a lot more frequently, and theres nothing saying you can't play multiple sets.

If it makes you feel any better, you're a very pretty bicycle with tassles on the handles and everything.

EDIT: Let me clarify my first statement. Yes, you CAN learn more the more games you play, however there comes a point where its no longer beneficial. Basically, theres a bell curve where, after a certain point, you are in fact hurting yourself more by playing more games than you are helping yourself.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Omg...im listening now..had to hit pause...Ra Helios...lol. Dont judge the CW community off of solely playing him. You still havent played mine...dom chalant, rainbow pride or 16 bit's...we do walk among you.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
This thread go doombawkzed. oh well.
What in Davy Jones’ locker did ye just bark at me, ye scurvy bilgerat? I’ll have ye know I be the meanest cutthroat on the seven seas, and I’ve led numerous raids on fishing villages, and raped over 300 wenches. I be trained in hit-and-run pillaging and be the deadliest with a pistol of all the captains on the high seas. Ye be nothing to me but another source o’ swag. I’ll have yer guts for garters and keel haul ye like never been done before, hear me true. You think ye can hide behind your newfangled computing device? Think twice on that, scallywag. As we parley I be contacting my secret network o’ pirates across the sea and yer port is being tracked right now so ye better prepare for the typhoon, weevil. The kind o’ monsoon that’ll wipe ye off the map. You’re sharkbait, fool. I can sail anywhere, in any waters, and can kill ye in o’er seven hundred ways, and that be just with me hook and fist. Not only do I be top o’ the line with a cutlass, but I have an entire pirate fleet at my beck and call and I’ll damned sure use it all to wipe yer arse off o’ the world, ye dog. If only ye had had the foresight to know what devilish wrath your jibe was about to incur, ye might have belayed the comment. But ye couldn’t, ye didn’t, and now ye’ll pay the ultimate toll, you buffoon. I’ll shit fury all over ye and ye’ll drown in the depths o’ it. You’re fish food now.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
What in Davy Jones’ locker did ye just bark at me, ye scurvy bilgerat? I’ll have ye know I be the meanest cutthroat on the seven seas, and I’ve led numerous raids on fishing villages, and raped over 300 wenches. I be trained in hit-and-run pillaging and be the deadliest with a pistol of all the captains on the high seas. Ye be nothing to me but another source o’ swag. I’ll have yer guts for garters and keel haul ye like never been done before, hear me true. You think ye can hide behind your newfangled computing device? Think twice on that, scallywag. As we parley I be contacting my secret network o’ pirates across the sea and yer port is being tracked right now so ye better prepare for the typhoon, weevil. The kind o’ monsoon that’ll wipe ye off the map. You’re sharkbait, fool. I can sail anywhere, in any waters, and can kill ye in o’er seven hundred ways, and that be just with me hook and fist. Not only do I be top o’ the line with a cutlass, but I have an entire pirate fleet at my beck and call and I’ll damned sure use it all to wipe yer arse off o’ the world, ye dog. If only ye had had the foresight to know what devilish wrath your jibe was about to incur, ye might have belayed the comment. But ye couldn’t, ye didn’t, and now ye’ll pay the ultimate toll, you buffoon. I’ll shit fury all over ye and ye’ll drown in the depths o’ it. You’re fish food now.
Why do you come to this site? Real talk. Why? Do you go tournaments? have you been tournaments? Are you any good? Why are you all over the bane forums when it should be other players? What is your deal?

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
I just listened to the whole podcast, was pleased.

Next up KDZ vs Pig?

Who will win? Find out on the next episode of Dragon..... I mean kryptonite kouncil!

gdf

Noob
I was just finishing KTP when this got up, it is now 6 AM, and I need to be out of bed by 10 AM.

However, conversely this podcast finally gave me the motivation I needed to take this seriously, and I fully comprehend what I need to do now.

I accomplished what I wanted in MK9, and for Injustice, I have a new set of goals.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Why do you come to this site? Real talk. Why? Do you go tournaments? have you been tournaments? Are you any good? Why are you all over the bane forums when it should be other players? What is your deal?
Real talk? In order:

Because I've got nothing better to do inbetween work and sleeping/eating/caring for siblings.
When I have time inbetween having an actual life, which is next to never but I try.
I went to CEO and EVO, yes.
I dunno... Maybe like the 7th or 8th best Bane? I'm good enough, I guess.
Because I make all the tech, and if you haven't noticed Bane forum is mostly dead since we have the BCC.

To put it shortly, I'm an average/decent Bane player who has spent enough time in the lab to know that you need more than just Mb b.3 and armor breaking to beat Bane, and the only one active enough outside of his own forum and willing to tell other people that, indeed, you do need more than Mb b.3 and armor breaking. Some people say I'm the most crazed Bane fan and am a major annoyance, which yeah probably. I do work on other characters and I'm more on the side of correct information over any particular character. I usually do call in other, more experienced Bane players if I'm unsure about anything, but for the most part I usually just point out a few errors in people's thinking, and usually its accompanied by detailed explanation or videos covering it.

Lex mains say they have trouble with Batgirl, I go and try to help provide answers. Beyond the "Oh its just Doombawkz", I'm actually a pretty nice family-oriented guy who'd treat you to crepes if they were in the area. Mostly unrecognizable in public, but it doesn't bother me much because I don't need to be known to be a nice guy. You'd probably be surprised if you ever met me.

Uhhh... I think that's about all the summary I really can give haha.

PunkMafia83

Real talk? In order:

Because I've got nothing better to do inbetween work and sleeping/eating/caring for siblings.
When I have time inbetween having an actual life, which is next to never but I try.
I went to CEO and EVO, yes.
I dunno... Maybe like the 7th or 8th best Bane? I'm good enough, I guess.
Because I make all the tech, and if you haven't noticed Bane forum is mostly dead since we have the BCC.

To put it shortly, I'm an average/decent Bane player who has spent enough time in the lab to know that you need more than just Mb b.3 and armor breaking to beat Bane, and the only one active enough outside of his own forum and willing to tell other people that, indeed, you do need more than Mb b.3 and armor breaking. Some people say I'm the most crazed Bane fan and am a major annoyance, which yeah probably. I do work on other characters and I'm more on the side of correct information over any particular character. I usually do call in other, more experienced Bane players if I'm unsure about anything, but for the most part I usually just point out a few errors in people's thinking, and usually its accompanied by detailed explanation or videos covering it.

Lex mains say they have trouble with Batgirl, I go and try to help provide answers. Beyond the "Oh its just Doombawkz", I'm actually a pretty nice family-oriented guy who'd treat you to crepes if they were in the area. Mostly unrecognizable in public, but it doesn't bother me much because I don't need to be known to be a nice guy. You'd probably be surprised if you ever met me.

Uhhh... I think that's about all the summary I really can give haha.
Interesting. How did you do at evo? I can imagine that was actualy hard as a bane player pre patch.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Interesting. How did you do at evo? I can imagine that was actualy hard as a bane player pre patch.
Top 128 I think, or something. Didn't make it out of pools, a pretty godly DD player got me because I was too worried about popping level 3 to take out his trait. And then NW v Bane pre-patch was a monster to deal with. Turns out the Nightwing was like... Last year's KOF champ who tried his hand at IJ. Mad KOF or King KOF or something, one of the Banes in the BCC told me. Anyways, got bodied out. Flux and Redgie took the pools in my bracket.

So, ya know. Not impressive at all, honestly I probably wouldn't have made it much any further even if I beat the DD player because sitting right on the other side was WoundCowboy and the like, and I can't even be that optimistic to think I woulda kept going. Still, sunk my 2-0 wins and went out using Bane only, so personal victory and all.

PunkMafia83

Top 128 I think, or something. Didn't make it out of pools, a pretty godly DD player got me because I was too worried about popping level 3 to take out his trait. And then NW v Bane pre-patch was a monster to deal with. Turns out the Nightwing was like... Last year's KOF champ who tried his hand at IJ. Mad KOF or King KOF or something, one of the Banes in the BCC told me. Anyways, got bodied out. Flux and Redgie took the pools in my bracket.

So, ya know. Not impressive at all, honestly I probably wouldn't have made it much any further even if I beat the DD player because sitting right on the other side was WoundCowboy and the like, and I can't even be that optimistic to think I woulda kept going. Still, sunk my 2-0 wins and went out using Bane only, so personal victory and all.
I respect that. Cool.

On a side note listening to this Podacast. Playing to win is really good at explaining things, I would like to hear more from him on these shows.

Just saying lol

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Playing to win, I don't know about his "explaining" so much as I like the way he enunciates his words. Its very clear, easy on the ears, and also easy to follow. No offence to the guy, but sometimes I have to rewind the videos to understand exactly what m2dave is saying. P2W though is clear as a bell.

PaYizT

Say it with your chest .
Really enjoyable podcast holyshit just finish watching is 6 30 am lol ,also playing to win seems like a nice guy looking forward to the next episode as always

I have been dying to talk about these topics for weeks now. Ready to do the show every night the last 2 weeks. Wouldn't it be my luck that it finally gets done on the one night I fall asleep lol.

I'm sure Pig butchers me in his Bradycast thoughts and calls me "butt hurt" LOL because these fools prob dont even understand what I was talking about. I wish they didn't even discuss it without me.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm sure Pig butchers me in his Bradycast thoughts because these fools prob dont even understand what I was talking about. I wish they didn't even discuss it without me.. Not even gonna listen
D'ja have a good Halloween though? I personally liked your Bradycast, a long listen but I gave it the time it deserved.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
I was just finishing KTP when this got up, it is now 6 AM, and I need to be out of bed by 10 AM.

However, conversely this podcast finally gave me the motivation I needed to take this seriously, and I fully comprehend what I need to do now.

I accomplished what I wanted in MK9, and for Injustice, I have a new set of goals.
oh fuck more people at AKA? Yo hype.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
10 matches is not enough for anyone to learn the matchups. When I am actually trying to learn a matchup I usually aim for 30-50 if I am completely unfamiliar with it.

Played Toms aquaman twice for over 30 sets each. First time got bodied pretty good, second time still lost but the margin was tighter...if we play again who knows.

You learn matchup specific things and find your weak points over time. You also develop a meta. You learn the trigonometry of fighting games this way.

If Opponent Does A and I do B it will equal C.

Only time I don't go for long sets is if the connection is just total balls. Even then I will try to withstand at least 10 matches.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
Thanks for MP3 format! :p Gonna put it in my player :D

EDIT: Doombawkz, thank you for sharing your point on playing vs other players as a mean to learn. I share the same view on the issue, if you want to learn matchups, thus evolve/develop your character, playing fewer games, i.e ft10, is always better. Because, as you said, you can quickly realize, on spot, what are you doing wrong and what can you improve vs said character or even said player.

As as example to prove your point, in SSF4 I play as Sagat and my sister plays a really solid Juri. Until then I didn't played a Juri that did more than random EX Wheel Kick, random dives and jumping like a flea. But my sisters diferent, she can pressure, do combos, she'll win A2A and mix you up. So the first games we were playing it was hard to get the best on her, Sagat's taller so c.lk , s.hk as trap was useless and I was punished everytime because she could crouch to evade it. I had to adapt, later on I was winning, however after getting close to the 50's matches I was player vs her, as a player, more than playing vs Juri, because I knew what she wanted to wakeup with if she had EX bar or if she didn't had, resulting on me getting DPs on her wakeup and meaties, which is risky.

All this to say that, as Doombawkz has been saying, the longer you play to someone, the more you'll play vs the player and less vs the char.