What's new

Kotal Kahn Pre-Release Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Hey, where's the guy who kept trying to tell me Kotal's alt was a Rain costume and that's actually Kotal in the Konquest menu card?

DON'T RECALL SEEING THAT ON STREAM.

Also, Kotal looks absolutely fucking incredible. I was so blown away. That Totem stacking is going to get real interesting.

Lun

proud TERF!
That's pretty presumptuous.

Oh no, it's not. Some people care A LOT about design, and I'm one of those.

Kotal turning into a cat despite the bird theme is more than enough to annoy me.

At least this is something I can complain about without being called a SJW, although jaguar Kotal is as annoying to me as Chronika with eyebrows.

Learn your Aztec/Mayan mythology, girl. Start by searching for Tezcatlipoca.
No need, I already know some Aztec/Mayan mythology. Probably for the same reason you do (Smite, anyone?).

It doesn't matter because he still had a bird theme.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I don't think it's supposed to be his go to anti air(or even a good one), rather it just has a little bonus on it if you catch them. It's a big looking hitbox so you could probably do it for some preemptive anti airs. But it's the saw move so it already has utility as an ender and I think he said you can punish with it to get the KB too
I think it’ll be primarily be used as a big pay off for conversion combos, like maybe AAing someone with one of his strings and combining into it. We already know that counter hit KBs can activate even if they are at the end of a string.

But what I really forsee is doing that and having the KB hold option(I assume most serious player will), so you get a conversation combo with it and save it for a normal max damage grounded combo ended later.

—-

I really hope the brutality on the command grab is Leatherface-tier overkill, where he just keeps slamming them into the ground until their head and upper body are just mush.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Kotal turning into a cat despite the bird theme is more than enough to annoy me.
Though his helmet was bird-themed in MKX, his sickles were snake-themed.

Kotal's design wasn't about being inspired from a single animal. It was about taking several design elements that were Aztec inspired, as that is part of his background. He's not the "bird man" character, he's the "Aztec warrior god" character, and him turning into a black jaguar reflects that as well.

E

Eldriken

So for question 2, they only go away once the time limit is up? For example, if I summon a totem then get hit by a d2 a second later that doesn't cause the totem to go away?
The Blood Totem went away on hit in MKX. It wouldn't be fair otherwise. I'd imagine it's the same for MK11.

E

Eldriken

Oh no, it's not. Some people care A LOT about design, and I'm one of those.

At least this is something I can complain about without being called a SJW, although jaguar Kotal is as annoying to me as Chronika with eyebrows.

No need, I already know some Aztec/Mayan mythology. Probably for the same reason you do (Smite, anyone?).

I think NRS knows what they're doing.

He doesn't have to be relegated to any specific type of animal to transform into as long as what he transforms into is something associated with the lore/history behind the character itself.

Bird, jaguar, whichever. Perhaps an intro of his that you can unlock alters his transformation? We'll have to see. You may get what you'd like to see.

Lun

proud TERF!
I think NRS knows what they're doing.

He doesn't have to be relegated to any specific type of animal to transform into as long as what he transforms into is something associated with the lore/history behind the character itself.

Bird, jaguar, whichever. Perhaps an intro of his that you can unlock alters his transformation? We'll have to see. You may get what you'd like to see.
I'd love it if you could customize the animal he turns into,but since it's part of his moveset it will always be a feline I guess.

E

Eldriken

I'd love it if you could customize the animal he turns into,but since it's part of his moveset it will always be a feline I guess.
For his moves, sure. But we dunno about the intros. Maybe you'll get lucky. :O

Reactions: Lun

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?

I don't play that game.

Quetzalcoatl = not a bird, it's a snake.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Will he even be able to duck under projectiles!!? Hes massive! Lol
That was an actual issue in MKX due to the magic of breathing hurtboxes

Basically full screen, there's a frame in kotal's crouching idle routine where he is tall enough to get hit by predator's shoulder canon straight shot. That move is not supposed to hit crouches and yet it could on specific random frames against kotal :(

That was an actual issue in MKX due to the magic of breathing hurtboxes

Basically full screen, there's a frame in kotal's crouching idle routine where he is tall enough to get hit by predator's shoulder canon straight shot. That move is not supposed to hit crouches and yet it could on specific random frames against kotal :(
That must have taken some serious lab time. I played kotal a ton and I domt believe I ran into this issue.... jeez I hope that kind of thing doesnt return. After this game kotal may just slip into my #1 spot of all time. I love everything about the character. Even the smug look on his face while hes performing be mine! You know where he cuts you're chest wide open then drinks the blood from your warm beating heart hahahhaha

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
That must have taken some serious lab time. I played kotal a ton and I domt believe I ran into this issue....
Oh no not serious lab time. Found that out in the middle of a tournament cause I got hit by that shit. Then I did lab time and yeah its re-createable but its only basically 1 specific frame of his breathing hurtbox.

Ardet

Noob
The other thing is "welcome to kotal khan's antiair blade not working properly", lol jk but seriously, i've noticed 16bit attempting this special a few times and whiffed it.
Aahahhahahahha that brings back good memories to "Ahm...welcome to sub zero's clone doesnt work properly part 2" Ahaahahahahahahha I freakin laughed my ass off to that. Gotta love Tom Brady man.

Lun

proud TERF!
I don't play that game.

Quetzalcoatl = not a bird, it's a snake.
I know that already, and I didn't even need Smite for that - it's a popular mythological figure.

It doesn't change the fact that his outfit is clearly bird-themed, not snake-themed and not even winged snake-themed.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I know that already, and I didn't even need Smite for that - it's a popular mythological figure.

It doesn't change the fact that his outfit is clearly bird-themed, not snake-themed and not even winged snake-themed.
The character is a freaking Aztec, they are about MANY animals, not just birds, those fathers are just taken from the quetzal's who live in the area's where the Aztecs were active. Kotal has absolutely NOTHING to do with birds spare for those feathers...

Lun

proud TERF!
The character is a freaking Aztec, they are about MANY animals, not just birds, those fathers are just taken from the quetzal's who live in the area's where the Aztecs were active. Kotal has absolutely NOTHING to do with birds spare for those feathers...

So you didn't notice that his helmet is shaped like a beak?

Also, while we're at it, do I have to remind you that generally jaguars = night and birds = sun? Especially in Aztec myths were the jaguar is a symbol of the night.

Look, let's make it clear: Kotal Kahn IS bird-themed in his base outfit, and if you asked me in which animal I'd expect him to turn into, I'd say it's a bird or a snake-bird. Certainly not a jaguar, since he calls himself a sun god.

Also, do we have to discuss this? Can't you just accept that I don't like that he turns into a cat since his outfit clearly hints at other animals? And that's a simple fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.