What's new

Kotal Kahn Pre-Release Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Can I just say I'm really glad he has a darker natural skin tone in MK11? Given his features, voice actor, and cultural background, the fact that his skin in Osh Tekk was so light always felt really off to me. I'm happy they made the change.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I hate Phil Lamar as Kotal. I can't stand his "fake" deep voice. Especially since I grew up watching on Mad TV knowing what he really sounds like
Mad disagree. I could name a half dozen of Phil LaMarr's performances off the top of my head, and this is actually my favorite by far. He made Kotal completely his own.

Which is no walk in the park, considering what he had to work with. An Aztec god who rules over an entire planet, who deals with the sci-fi bullshit from Earthrealm, who speaks mumbo jumbo and riddles while charging into battle, and despite all this he is supposed to be commanding, calculating, soulful, terrifying, and sympathetic all at the same time? And he had to bring this together and sell this character? And he did, to such a degree, that he instantly made Kotal Kahn a universal fan favorite and a runaway success?

I'm growing more impressed with Mr. Lamarr's work as Kotal with every sentence I type. If you told me that I had to recast every single MKX character for MK11, except I could keep one... there is actually a chance I'd pick him to be that one.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I hate Phil Lamar as Kotal. I can't stand his "fake" deep voice. Especially since I grew up watching on Mad TV knowing what he really sounds like
Some opinions on actors will always be subject to the first role you saw/heard them in, sure, but as someone that first heard Phil LaMarr as Vamp in Metal Gear Solid 2, his work as Kotal is hardly out of the ordinary IMO.

How will the stackable totems work in terms of the time you get with the buff? Like if you call out a totem then end the next combo with another totem, does that reset the timer before the totems disappear? Or will the top totem disappear and you are left with the second? If it resets then the totems could work like Baneś venom but without the debuff and armor which has me excited

Im hype as fuck. Kotal was my favorite newcomer and has taken his place as my top 2 favorite in the franchise. Unless hes a clunky, slow lug, he is going to be my day 1 main.

Mkx i was all about ON YOUR KNEES!

Lun

proud TERF!
Just wanted to say that I got over the fact that Kotal Kahn switched from bird to cat from one game to another. Sure, I wish he was a cat since the beginning, or better than he was still a bird here, but I'm still imagining the potential of a character who sometimes turns into a beast midfight.He needs to have a fatality in jaguar form, for sure.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
The two cat moves and that sweet sweet command grab will be the first variation I build for him.
I want to go with the cat run but I need to know what the utility is. Like it didn’t look fast enough to punish a lot of the full screen projectiles we’ve seen, and at midscreen his repurposed F2 is still a launcher so it’s better for that range by default. Command grab is always gonna be the combo ended too.

It’ll need to have some armor or invincibility or extra functionality to be worth the slot

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Are air cat and cat charge the same variation slot? That'd be amazing
Ah I thought by cat charge you meant the air one but, I get what you mean now.

That said I can’t see the ground cat being two slots when the air version seems way more useful is only one as far as we’ve seen

Status
Not open for further replies.