What's new

Kotal Kahn Pre-Release Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I've been waiting a while to see Kotal in play, and he looks great! He's got the damage that I wanted to see, and the moves that I was hoping to see. I'm hyped that his F2 is now a special, and his amplified command throw does damage.

I'm hyped to play some Kotal!

MR.EVL

I am you
Not sure if it's just me, but Kotal's fatal blow is a little... MEH *imo (especially that totem at end) - looks so weird
I feel it could use more work...but all-in-all he looks badass and the hype is on AF

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I kinda wish he had 1-2 more special moves that use the sword. It was my favorite thing about him in MKX. The way it's used in the strings is awesome though. Just like the entire design. I love how huge they made him.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'm at work so I can't check, but does anyone know if Kotal's headpiece changes when he turns into a jaguar? He does it super quick during Washed up warriors, but I couldn't tell if he had the bear hat or the regular feathers

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Man man man I was a little bummed Sun God Choke is gone but the new grab just keeps growing on me.

It’s the double dunk, it’s just so disrespectful I love it

Last edited:

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
I love how they're really using the aztec culture to make Kotal Kahn as an unique, brutal and powerful character. For the aztecs, the god Tezcatlipoca was the creator of universe. He turns into a Jaguar and can see everything through an obsidian mirror. An elite group of aztec warriors (ocēlōmeh) dressed like Jaguars due this . The fatality is inspired by a sacrifice to Tezcatlipoca too. A captive warrior was placed on a sacrifice stone, and crushed to death by ocēlōmeh. The command grab animation is all about anthropophagy. The aztecs ate human flesh of powerful enemies. They believed this practice would make them stronger. Damn, NRS... you guys are doing a wonderful job.
I love history and learning about other cultures. I didn't know even half of this. Thank you for the knowledge, friend. :)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That first fatality is definitely going to be used as my “you actually pissed me off a little this match/set” finisher.

So disrespectful

I think it’s all in that crazy run up to them before he puts his whole body into that big boot kick, it just scream “fuck you especially”.

reminds me of his X-ray in MKX where if you landed it full screen he’d haul ass to put that blade in their throat.

AloneUA

getting over there
RIght now the most fun thing out there is to battle Shao Kahn's fanboys on MK subreddit. Dudes just can't accept the fact that my boy Kotal is actually stronk and Shao Kahn was afraid of him.

Anyway, I'm beyond happy to see Kotal returning. He was my favorite new character from MKX and now he looks even better.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Kotal Kahn has been my main in MKX since day 1. It happened by surprise actually, I totally thought it was going to be Mileena(although I still did play mileena too as a secondary). War God Kotal is the most fun I have ever had with a single character in any fighting game, I loved everything about him.

Everything I see from MK11 Kotal is he is basically Super Saiyan form of Kotal. I get all the stuff I liked about war god, and I can have a command grab and totems to boot?

Long story short, I am super happy and unbelievably stoked.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Amazing how NRS can turn be back onto a character like this.

When the MKX comics came out I was like " Whoa, this guy is a f***** bad***!!!! "

The the actual game came out and I was like " Wow, this guy is a a punk a** b**** lol " and didn't really even care to try him out after playing the story mode.

Then today's kast made me think he is awesome again. He looks so sick, I just hope he gets treated better in story mode. I also don't know if Steve's loreminutes are supposed to be taken seriously but I do hope that little bit of into is considered canon. It shows that Kotal was not only worthy enough to be one of Shao's generals, but Shao even saw him as a threat and had him imprisoned. If Shao thinks you're a threat, you are instantly a bad a** in my book lol

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Now that my hype is back to moderate level i'd like to point out a couple of things:

One thing that bothers me so far is that his stackable totems time out all at once, not in summoning order. Given the time and risk it takes to summon all 3 of them for optimal effect they should time out one by one from the order of summon not all together. I can see him getting such buff in the future if the totems stacks proven to be not so viable.

The other thing is "welcome to kotal khan's antiair blade not working properly", lol jk but seriously, i've noticed 16bit attempting this special a few times and whiffed it. Seems to me that the opponent need to perfectly land on the tip or the middle of the blade because that's where the hitbox is. If the jump in was closer to the helm of the sword or deeper you can completely avoid the antiair and full combo punish kotal instead.

You can argue that it's fair and that kotal need to space it out correctly, but given the amount of frames it takes to be active i would rather it either having faster startup or more oppressive hitbox so it works consistently as an antiair on both reaction and scouting out jump ins.

Keep in mind that Kotal was an excellent character at fighting jumping based characters like kitana in mkx, So it'd be nice if he keeps that strength in mk11.

STB BroZki

Don’t know what to put here
I was really hoping that Kotal would have more of a Kahn feel to him. I couldn’t be happier! He looks like a total badass! Oh can’t forget about the gains he’s made. Dude has the Drew Mcintyer legs.

Edit: He’s definitely going to be in my rotation of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.