What's new

Kotal Kahn Pre-Release Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The other thing is "welcome to kotal khan's antiair blade not working properly", lol jk but seriously, i've noticed 16bit attempting this special a few times and whiffed it. Seems to me that the opponent need to perfectly land on the tip or the middle of the blade because that's where the hitbox is. If the jump in was closer to the helm of the sword or deeper you can completely avoid the antiair and full combo punish kotal instead.

You can argue that it's fair and that kotal need to space it out correctly, but given the amount of frames it takes to be active i would rather it either having faster startup or more oppressive hitbox so it works consistently as an antiair on both reaction and scouting out jump ins.
I don't think it's supposed to be his go to anti air(or even a good one), rather it just has a little bonus on it if you catch them. It's a big looking hitbox so you could probably do it for some preemptive anti airs. But it's the saw move so it already has utility as an ender and I think he said you can punish with it to get the KB too

Last edited:

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I really hope Animalities never return.

But some characters should have a animality/fatality, like Shang Tsung turning into a cobra, Liu's dragon, D'Vorah and insects, Kai and tiger, Kotal and jaguar and nightwolf being a werewolf or wolf.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Kotal looks SICK! He is big, he is bad and he is strong as hell! His moveset is amazing and the cat-morph just made me soooo happy when I saw it!
My cats (the one from my avatar and the other one who is too fat to fit into an avatar) approve! Can't wait to play him. Love the Aztec-vibes (btw thanks @Rezk for the background stuff - good to know these tiny things that can build the kharacter even more), love the grabs and the sun-manipulation. Love literally everything in this kharacter. See, NRS... that's how you build hype! Now, please - give me a proper trailer of him!

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I don't think it's supposed to be his go to anti air(or even a good one), rather it just has a little bonus on it if you catch them. It's a big looking hitbox so you could probably do it for some preemptive anti airs. But it's the saw move so it already has utility as an ender and I think he said you can punish with it to get the KB too
Yeah well said, It's just that i have a major hard-on for AAs so that when i see a special with AA potential i want it to be doing that job 110%. The fact that it's also used as a combo ender or even catch standing opponents makes it acceptable that it's AA capabilities is mediocre, As opposed to his df2 air grab in mkx that was solely designed as an AA move so it had to be very good at doing just that.

Lokheit

Noob
I love the transformation attacks being a possibility now. Time to give us a Sareena that transforms into her netherealm form during strings and specials! (And the obvious other pick, Nightwolf, of course, I love wolves, but I'm biased towards Sareena).

I love the transformation attacks being a possibility now. Time to give us a Sareena that transforms into her netherealm form during strings and specials! (And the obvious other pick, Nightwolf, of course, I love wolves, but I'm biased towards Sareena).
And maybe Shang can now have most of his special attacks involve transformations into not only other kombatants, but animals, weapons, or dangerous substances)

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Amazing how NRS can turn be back onto a character like this.

When the MKX comics came out I was like " Whoa, this guy is a f***** bad***!!!! "

The the actual game came out and I was like " Wow, this guy is a a punk a** b**** lol " and didn't really even care to try him out after playing the story mode.

Then today's kast made me think he is awesome again.
This is no doubt Shawn Kittelsen's influence.

For anyone not in the know -- the MKX comic writer was brought on to be one of the head writers on MK11. So characters that were treated well by him in the comics, their fans should be very, very excited about the influence he'll have.

This is especially good news for Kotal Kahn, Scorpion, Sonya, and Kano from the known MK11 roster. They were the characters he went out of his way to showcase and did a great job with. Johnny, Erron, and Sub-Zero were probably in the next tier down.

If Shao thinks you're a threat, you are instantly a bad a** in my book lol
If Shao Kahn considered Kotal Kahn a threat, and Kotal Kahn considered Reiko a threat, does that mean Shao Kahn would have been wise to consider Reiko a threat? Is Reiko being a straight up boss officially canon? :O

I would put this in all caps because I'm so friggin hype but that is rather annoying lol

But man oh man did Nrs deliver with Kotal, he was my day 1 from mkx so I'm stoked hes back and better than ever.
F2 is now a special, yes please! Can turn into a jaguar mid match? Hell yes! Tick throws, pizza disk, and sun ray returns!!!! Ahhhhh hypeeee

Serious question tho? Has anyone found out why he van suddenly morph into a jaguar? I'm not complaining in the slightest I would just like some backstory on it. I guess they kind of did bu saying hes been locked up in shangs flesh pits but I want some more clarity.
Instant day 1 main along with the former Kahn!

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Serious question tho? Has anyone found out why he van suddenly morph into a jaguar?
He can morph into a Jaguar because he has god-like magical powers, and jaguars are associated with the Aztec/Mayan culture that his design was obviously influenced by. It's just a magical power that it makes sense for him to have. Pretty sure that's all there is to it.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm happy they actually made Kotal a boss! I was PISSED (like so many others) when Kotal was beaten down by Kung Jin in MKX, and honestly, he was just to skinny and meek looking to be called a Kahn in that game. I think I speak for everyone when I say that in MKX he was a mere shadow of Shao Kahn, and didn't hold a candle to him at all.

Now in MK11, he at lease looks the part. I hope in the story mode he does some cool stuff to support his new look and feel.

The jaguar morph party krusher might be an overhead. So instant air version of it can be a great mix up to his standing low. Seems like it can't be amplified though:/

trufenix

bye felicia
With the success of DMC, there's no wya NRS doesn't do a Devil Trigger / Install character soon. That would be great.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
He looks amazing. Really looking fwd to launch day. I did find his fatal blow to be a little underwhelming, if I remember correctly.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Hey guys quick question about Kotal's totems. I know we don't know for sure how they will work in MK11 but im wondering if people who played him in X can give me an educated guess...

1. Do you have to be near the totems to receive the buff, or can you be anywhere on screen and get the buff as long as it is out?

2. Do the totems disappear when Kotal gets hit?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Hey guys quick question about Kotal's totems. I know we don't know for sure how they will work in MK11 but im wondering if people who played him in X can give me an educated guess...

1. Do you have to be near the totems to receive the buff, or can you be anywhere on screen and get the buff as long as it is out?

2. Do the totems disappear when Kotal gets hit?
1) You don't have to be near them, to get the buffs.

2) The totems are on a time limit. One of his totems in MKX is a defense buff. I'm sure he'll have a defensive totem here too.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
1) You don't have to be near them, to get the buffs.

2) The totems are on a time limit. One of his totems in MKX is a defense buff. I'm sure he'll have a defensive totem here too.
So for question 2, they only go away once the time limit is up? For example, if I summon a totem then get hit by a d2 a second later that doesn't cause the totem to go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.