What's new

Kotal Kahn General Discussion

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
no shao kahn has solid basic pokes. and awesome anti air grab, kotal has nothing
Lol shao kahn is on the same boat with kotal when it comes to how bad they are.

Kotal is not a good character, but I don't understand how so many people can focus on the wrong thing. What he needs is a decently fast mid string, that's all. That would make him a good enough character, anything else on top of it is just nice. His main problem is being able to contest - frames, not his footsies.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"

Kotal is not a good character, but I don't understand how so many people can focus on the wrong thing. What he needs is a decently fast mid string, that's all. That would make him a good enough character, anything else on top of it is just nice. His main problem is being able to contest - frames, not his footsies.
Didnt mean shao is good, but kotal is worse

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor

Make F1 a mid and we're laughing

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist

I feel his range is good enough that he doesn't need a fast mid too. F2, F4, B2 and 4 control space so well. He does struggle up close but imo a better balanced adjustment would be to increase the hit advantage on D1 and/or make the hitboxes bigger on F1 or S2 so that it's easier to jail. That way he's not commanding mid and close range, but can still apply some pressure with good fundamentals.

On top of that tho, I would allow Kotal to choose the direction on sun choke and decrease the recovery on sun ray just a bit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I feel his range is good enough that he doesn't need a fast mid too. F2, F4, B2 and 4 control space so well. He does struggle up close but imo a better balanced adjustment would be to increase the hit advantage on D1 and/or make the hitboxes bigger on F1 or S2 so that it's easier to jail. That way he's not commanding mid and close range, but can still apply some pressure with good fundamentals.

On top of that tho, I would allow Kotal to choose the direction on sun choke and decrease the recovery on sun ray just a bit.
It's not the d1 advantage, it's already +10. The reason it doesn't jail is because F1 is 11f + travel time. It's easier to just make something mid.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Umm.... I´m begining to think cat variation is more interesting since Kotal cut combos are VERY inconsistent. I see tons of Kotal players dropping combos with it, and the cat finisher is a good finisher/corner carry, and, most important,cat finisher let Kotal in a perfect posotion for his strings:Mid distance is were Kotal´s strings shines.
Also , you gain the jump-cat move that is good for dealing with zoners.
In adition, you have the anti air/combo finisher of the spade and the ray that tracks opponent if amplified.Oh,and the totem......Yes, you loose the command grab but I hate the fact that changes sides and let the opponent evade the pressure.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Umm.... I´m begining to think cat variation is more interesting since Kotal cut combos are VERY inconsistent. I see tons of Kotal players dropping combos with it, and the cat finisher is a good finisher/corner carry, and, most important,cat finisher let Kotal in a perfect posotion for his strings:Mid distance is were Kotal´s strings shines.
Also , you gain the jump-cat move that is good for dealing with zoners.
In adition, you have the anti air/combo finisher of the spade and the ray that tracks opponent if amplified.Oh,and the totem......Yes, you loose the command grab but I hate the fact that changes sides and let the opponent evade the pressure.
Ppl drop combos because we're 2 weeks into the game and the block and hitstun is weird. It's not a thing.

You do get pressure if you wavedash after normal command grab.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Ppl drop combos because we're 2 weeks into the game and the block and hitstun is weird. It's not a thing.
Ppl do NOT "drop combos"...they drop THIS combo because Kotal cut leaves few frames and a strange pop up.
For example, you can B22-combo way easier,not only with a F12, even with a 34 afterwards

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Any way to get totems out safely midscreen or corner? I might try out Totemic with that sweet blood totem. Wish the input wasn’t so whack though.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Wait so if the blood totem is out and you get damage on your opponent but then get hit, you will not receive any life back.. is this a glitch or is it just designed to be worthless

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I think its that the timing to Kotal air juggles are absolutely strange. I haven't had the same issues with other characters.
If the timing of f12 after Kahn cut is inconsistent for you you can just do 12 instead for a negligible damage difference.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
What do u guys think if we could choose our own abilitites, so if we could choose he had his sunray replaced with dmg totem and give him his normal sunray like he has in his cat variation, would he be more viable in that variation?

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
For the B22-... combo you can follow with 34 for more dmg ONLY in female chars.

And....it´s curious that the base ray move is WAY better than the god ray move of the grab variation. The base ray stay in your position by default and you can amplify it and tracks your opponent.