What's new

Kotal Kahn General Discussion

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I would like to ask , since im playing on PC , how do u amp panther dash ? It has no mentions in game nor in turtorial . Was it added in patches or was it from day one ?
P.S. ty for the breakdown of his kit , i like ur thinking but i kinda have a feeling they fucked up in variation department, Kahn cut should of been default move and his sword cut should of been variation swap with command grab.
It's not in the moveslist on consoles either. Just press amplify as soon as you do the move.

With kotals slow attacks and all high starters, it would of been kinda balanced . This way u dont even have a combo , else if u count in f12/b22/f24 into bf4/df2 as a combo.

Also one more thing . For brutalitys. I have unlocked taste of blood but cant perform it at all and on the other hand i HAVENT unlocked not a violent kahn but if i meet conditions i can perform it smh.

what tournament variation is the best one? and honestly, if you had to place kotal in a spot on a tier list where would you guys put him?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
what tournament variation is the best one? and honestly, if you had to place kotal in a spot on a tier list where would you guys put him?
Acension hands down. If I had to place him anywhere it would be in B/C because of his problems up close and zoning with serious issues getting out his counter zoning moves and disk being pretty slow. It has Krushing Blow but that's only once per match and can easily be baited. If his sunlight was able to be safely used off setups I'd rank him A tier since he does have strong ranged normals. Kahn-cut and Sun Choke are the only specials that are really safe to use. The rest has a year if recovery and the Sword Pound is reactable on block from all his normals especially F2/F12/F3.

I think Totemic variation has potential. Yeah you lose sun choke and kahn cut. But you gain a better sun ray, anti zoning moves, better corner carry and sustain (if you get totems up). You also get a Krushing blow from the amplified sword cut.

LawAbidingCitizen

I think Totemic variation has potential. Yeah you lose sun choke and kahn cut. But you gain a better sun ray, anti zoning moves, better corner carry and sustain (if you get totems up). You also get a Krushing blow from the amplified sword cut.
I'd definitely use that variation but the combos are lackluster and boring combo to Special the end. The Totems are what I want most but I can't give up what I feel should be base moves: Kahn-cut and Sun Choke.

I'd definitely use that variation but the combos are lackluster and boring combo to Special the end. The Totems are what I want most but I can't give up what I feel should be base moves: Kahn-cut and Sun Choke.
I personally don't like the feel of the totems. It could be the amount of time they last. Cat variation would be better if the totem was replaced with sun choke.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Is it just me or does Kotal’s buff after sun choke go away relatively quickly? If you don’t start another combo into sun choke immediately you pretty much have to stack buffs again from scratch, and it’s when you get two to three of the buffs active that Kotal’s damage really starts to get scary.

LawAbidingCitizen

Someone correct me please but isn't Kahn-cut very punishable?
Yes Kahn-cut is punishable on block but what I was referring to was that you can use the move without getting punished in combo. His Sword Pound, Totem and Sunlight are all punishable. The sunlight can't be safley set even in combo and the best string is 34 to get Sunlight out.
Sword Pound is reactable just from opponent seeing that startup animation.

So I wasn't talking about on block but just Kotal has Specials that are completely unsafe and has no safe setups for them.

LawAbidingCitizen

Is it just me or does Kotal’s buff after sun choke go away relatively quickly? If you don’t start another combo into sun choke immediately you pretty much have to stack buffs again from scratch, and it’s when you get two to three of the buffs active that Kotal’s damage really starts to get scary.
Yes it's about 8 seconds for Sun Choke buff. Parry buff goes away on hit. Totem stacks 3 times and stacks with parry and Command Grab buff as well as sunlight.

The only problem is Sunlight, Ground Pound are unsafe. Totem may be safe full screen but I haven't tested 34 setup since I'm mainly using Acension Tournament Variation and feel Totemic is lacking in combo and close up having no Command Grab.

Kahn-Cut really should be a base move and Sunlight, Totem and Sword Pound should have less recovery.

Kisuno

Noob
Yeyecame Disk has a KB on the special amplify that turns it into a mid-hitting beam. It requires three totems stacked. As far as I can tell though, the KB does not function differently. It still does the same damage (80, which is the same as the disk throw anyways, so amplify only functions to make it slightly delayed and a mid, unless I'm missing something), plus it doesn't seem to add any other property to it. Not unblockable. No DoT.

I probably shouldn't run this combination anyways, especially since stacking totems is unsafe, but is this busted (PC version) or does he have the worst KB requirement that does nothing?

younghou

Noob
i am done with kotal khan, he is terrible, all characters in the game can punish him if they break away his combos just before the command grab, i am switching to noob saibot.

trash khan

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
i am done with kotal khan, he is terrible, all characters in the game can punish him if they break away his combos just before the command grab, i am switching to noob saibot.

trash khan
sounds like you should try Totemic variation, no command grab punish to worry about ;)

EDIT: seriously thought, I've been playing nothing but Totemic and I've been having a great time. I urge people to give it a chance! Try it for a couple days and see how you like it

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
is his parry move still garbage this game?

kotal feels like shao to me, solid foundation but no dirt or followup to his game plan. Yeah, he's got good footsies and solid norms but you don't really get to follow up with much yet. I don't feel like he's got enough skill ceiling to carry on when people start learning the game

also totems really should all be one variation and not split into 3, this is just nonsense

is his parry move still garbage this game?

kotal feels like shao to me, solid foundation but no dirt or followup to his game plan. Yeah, he's got good footsies and solid norms but you don't really get to follow up with much yet. I don't feel like he's got enough skill ceiling to carry on when people start learning the game

also totems really should all be one variation and not split into 3, this is just nonsense
I think his parry is better than in X. But it would be nice if there was a amplified parry that came out at 1f. The thing with his totems is that they are different than they were in X. Not sure what they could do with totems, I don't like how you need to summon 3 of them to get the full effect. If you only had to summon 1, then they would be fine. But with three, I feel that the recovery should be shorter than what it is now.

My observation is similar to yours, Kotal is a footsie based character. He doesn't need big combos to do large chunks of damage. His walk speed is great, his range is really good. I'm enjoying him so far.

k4polo

Noob
i never thought i was gonna say this, but kotal might turn out to be the worst character in the game so far, his f2 needs to be faster and he needs a good mid to play with at neutral range. Also, his b22 needs to be safe since its starts with a high meaning it can be ducked and launched.

i struggled so much playing against zoners its ridiculous and when i get in i literally have nothing to keep my pressure going.

he is the most appealing character visually but goddamn he needs some serious buffs or rework.
That title goes to Shao Kahn. Kotal Kahn looks pretty close though.