• Sun God

Votes: 139 34.3%
  • Blood God

Votes: 61 15.1%
  • All Equally

Votes: 35 8.6%

• Total voters

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
if your in europe jump on xbox and play me, my gt is jharris1993.

also ur hitting 40% off ex oh sword anti air? u can use air grab as a universal anti air that is v good, also b1 is a great anti air that can be confirmed into around 35% for a bar, honestly some of ur recent posts only expose ur lack of knowledge of sun and blood god, and tbh kotal as a whole
Add me. My GT on X1 is GAV60.

I'm thinking that there has been some miscommunication somewhere. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe you're missing something. Maybe both.

GAV

I need to see this "swaggy" 40+ from an anti air confirm. And do you know who MADZIN or Forever King are? If you watch either of their BG you can easily see how BG has potential S tier status.
I'll make a quick vid.

Does Sonic Fox make Royal Storm and Outlaw S tier?

I'm not saying SG and BG are trash, but B tier. Its just tough to beat WG with SG or BG without being a lot better than your opponent.

Winning exchanges in this matchup is where WG excels.

Last edited:

Darth_Peachez

In the UK with a US PS4. Fuck me, right?
I'll make a quick vid.

Does Sonic Fox make Royal Storm and Outlaw S tier?
See my previous remark... "potential S tier status" =/= makes him S tier, and with that being said Fox does make Royal Storm and Outlaw potential S tier.
Reading comprehension skills: low tier

GAV

See my previous remark... "potential S tier status" =/= makes him S tier, and with that being said Fox does make Royal Storm and Outlaw potential S tier.
Reading comprehension skills: low tier
My point is no matter who Madzin or Forever King use, they're S tier players. They're gonna make their characters look amazing.

Whyteboi's Jason looks S tier too. It doesn't make Jason S tier.

War God is still considerably more powerful than Blood or Sun and I think WG is his only boring variation - so I would like to see SG and BG get some love.

I can get into the low 50's with Sun God without using a power-up or X-Ray with just two bars. I can get into the high 40's with Blood God without a tome or power-up using just two bars. I may not have the best Kotal tech that's out there, but I have a fairly well informed grasp of the character as a whole. I have no doubt I could learn some things from you guys, but I could show you guys some things too.

The bulk of my knowledge and skill is with Sun God because that's my favorite. I think Blood God is hype too. I love watching Sun and Blood God equally. War God, by comparison, isn't as exciting - so it makes me sad that its his most powerful variation.

Thanks to PandaWhale for that sick Blood God tech. I never thought I would be able to pull off a 100% combo.

Last edited:

GAV

I don't want to put anyone down or even argue over it anymore. I just prefer the other variations, but now I realize I was being petty. I apologize to anyone I insulted in this thread. Kotals should be a brotherhood and I never should have put my own petty ambition in front of that. Sorry guys...

@TheRealOnlyGoonie
@DDutchguy
@Darth_Peachez

Especially Goonie. I still disagree, but I shouldn't have talked to you like that. I'm sorry.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I don't want to put anyone down or even argue over it anymore. I just prefer the other variations, but now I realize I was being petty. I apologize to anyone I insulted in this thread. Kotals should be a brotherhood and I never should have put my own petty ambition in front of that. Sorry guys...

@TheRealOnlyGoonie
@DDutchguy
@Darth_Peachez

Especially Goonie. I still disagree, but I shouldn't have talked to you like that. I'm sorry.
You didn't seem petty at all, at least not to me. You made this thread because you had an opinion and wanted us to give ours. There's nothing wrong with defending your opinion.

Reactions: GAV
Respect for that, cause despite this being my 1st post on TYM way too many people here never own up to their actions after seeing their faults.

BTW if anyone in the US is on PS4, i'd like to play a few sets with my BG. PSN=GetEmStretch

NHDR

Noob
I can see where GAV is coming from regarding totem not being a "tool" per se. Either way, WG is definitely a good character. I'd say top 15 is a very safe bet, he just gets countered hard by some variations.

Reactions: GAV

Tweedy

Noob
I've been maining Kotal for the last 3 months, the whole time I've been saying "i'm just trying to find my new top tier main". Denial boyz.

I'm done looking for an uber top tier. I have the most fun playing Kotal, and while he might not be top ten or whatever, I feel like he's more than viable.

A question I have for the community, is what second variation should I pick up? War God is basically all I've played. There are some match ups where I feel like the parry could really help me out. Kitana, Shinnok, Reptile, Gunslinger Erron, Mileena, to name some.

A couple things about each variation bothers me. Obviously you can't condition people and open them up, like you can in War God. No halfscreen armored launcher. Sun God's grab has like 30 more frames of recovery than Jason's lol. Obviously Blood God has no armor whatsoever.

I'm leaning towards Blood God but I want your guy's thoughts and opinions. I feel like Kotal is fast enough to get away with having no armor.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
I've been maining Kotal for the last 3 months, the whole time I've been saying "i'm just trying to find my new top tier main". Denial boyz.

I'm done looking for an uber top tier. I have the most fun playing Kotal, and while he might not be top ten or whatever, I feel like he's more than viable.

A question I have for the community, is what second variation should I pick up? War God is basically all I've played. There are some match ups where I feel like the parry could really help me out. Kitana, Shinnok, Reptile, Gunslinger Erron, Mileena, to name some.

A couple things about each variation bothers me. Obviously you can't condition people and open them up, like you can in War God. No halfscreen armored launcher. Sun God's grab has like 30 more frames of recovery than Jason's lol. Obviously Blood God has no armor whatsoever.

I'm leaning towards Blood God but I want your guy's thoughts and opinions. I feel like Kotal is fast enough to get away with having no armor.
Blood God is fun but I find myself using the defense totem 90% of the time. The second I put down the crystal totem for that swag damage I either can't open them up cuz they just block and wait it out, or armor through this gap or that gap or whatever. Point is I'm always sad whenever I fail a crystal totem. So with blood god there is that reward of big dammie, but it's tough to get going if you're being pressured to death. Blood God is great and all, but it can lead to some bipolar feelings. But give it a shot, maybe it will turn out better for you

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family

I play all variations of Kotal, and each one is just as fun as the other, and everyone is viable! But at the end of the day, its up to you to be honest. Sun God has the added mind-game of tick throws which is a pseudo mix-up in itself, as well as crazy damage without needing to worry about totems. He does have the option of an armoured reversal/wake-up but I wouldn't rely on it too much, it's easy to break the armour and it sometimes whiffs on certain hurt boxes.

Blood God is great, although I find myself using the Obsidian totem much, much more that the other two totems. I don't know if it's just bad luck, but whenever I use the Crystal totem, I make a mistake, and then wish I used the Obsidian totem instead. You'll find yourself with much more meter in Blood God so having three bars is very common.

I don't believe in a strategic choice for stages, but a stage with a corner escape will prove useful in these variations, but isn't really vital.

The parry helps against single projectile zoning (Kitana, Mileena, Jax, ect.), but is near useless against Full-Auto Jacqui. You get a huge damage increase if you have the Crystal Totem out, parry and throw an ex-pizza.

tl;dr - All in all, its up to personal preference. All variations of Kotal are viable and huge fun to play! :)

TommyKing5

A cosmetic bug I've noticed since the 1.13 patch; when Kotal does the War God exclusive brutality, previously there was a sound of the body falling onto the ground. I don't know if it's a bug with my game but that sound has completely disappeared. Not a big deal, just a cosmetic thing, similar to Blood God's eyes not glowing red as they did prior to MK XL.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
Gentlemen. How plus is KK after a purposely whiffed command grab?
LoL...?

Edit: If you meant air grab, he's plus 4 or 5 after 114, s4 is also plus if cancelled. Air grab does not make all strings plus or even safe. As a matter of fact it makes some strings even more punishable.

Last edited:

TommyKing5

Command grab is full combo punishable, and only in Sun God. I think you mean the air grab? I think he's + 4 after 114 or close to

Tweedy

Noob
How do you guys feel about War God vs Tarkatan?

EX spin is 9 frames, can punish any gaps and staggers after B1(even if you do EX overhead after B14), he can punish with B1 or S2 in a lot of cases, rekkas punish regular overhead.

Basically the risk/reward on anything after B1 is just horrible. Typically Kotal wins the neutral so that helps, but Alien's neutral might actually be better.

Kotal's armor is also slow enough, to where you can't blow up his rekkas. Typically there's no mind game there since Alien is super minus when staggered(-15 I believe), however, Kotal's is like a frame or two too slow to punish them.

This and Piercing Mileena are super nauseating match ups for me. Thinking about looking for a secondary character just to fight them.

I avoid any further matchups with Kotal vs Alien then switch over to Displacer Raiden. Just doesn't seem winnable (not saying it isn't) but the amount of effort is more than I'm ready to handle. I honestly rather fight HQT vs B.G. which isn't as bad IMO as long as we stay mid screen.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
How do you guys feel about War God vs Tarkatan?

EX spin is 9 frames, can punish any gaps and staggers after B1(even if you do EX overhead after B14), he can punish with B1 or S2 in a lot of cases, rekkas punish regular overhead.

Basically the risk/reward on anything after B1 is just horrible. Typically Kotal wins the neutral so that helps, but Alien's neutral might actually be better.

Kotal's armor is also slow enough, to where you can't blow up his rekkas. Typically there's no mind game there since Alien is super minus when staggered(-15 I believe), however, Kotal's is like a frame or two too slow to punish them.

This and Piercing Mileena are super nauseating match ups for me. Thinking about looking for a secondary character just to fight them.
I tend to have better luck with Sun God and tending to tick into command throw from B1, and if they back up to try to get me to approach i just sit back in a sun ray and make them come to me, doesn't always work but its how i deal with Tarkatan.

As for piercing Mileena, you got me there, I decided to pick up Kung Jin for that match up, but your best bet is War God against Mileena and just baiting and good reads and approaching slowly if she tries to zone you out.