What's new

Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

Vastly

Noob
You know, I was going to disagree with a lot of this, but it seems like you guys have an agenda to get her buffed. I’m all for buffs lol.

Have at it.
I don't have an agenda at all. I don't think everyone deserves a buff. I think she is mid tier and she is a solid character but not a great one and that's fine. I'm just being honest. Feel free to disagree. Not everyone has an "agenda". I also Play Johnny who has a lot of issues but I'm not demanding anything anymore, just giving my honest thoughts.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I mean, there’s a reason Saltface went on a rant about how all tournament Kitana’s are dropping her ass. It’s not rocket science to realize she’s outmatched by a lot of the cast.

Vastly

Noob
I mean, there’s a reason Saltface went on a rant about how all tournament Kitana’s are dropping her ass. It’s not rocket science to realize she’s outmatched by a lot of the cast.
It's the same reason Kitana Prime dropped her for jade. Also Semiij is one of the top 6 players in the game IMO and he didn't even make top 8 cause he's using Kitana. She is a solid character but she has drawbacks when facing top tier characters controlled by top tier players. He lost to burrito Vorhees Geras. I'm not saying it makes the character bad she just has a few limitations that make it more difficult for her to win a tournament. I still play her knowing that I just expect it to be an uphill battle. Not as bad as it is for Johnny but it's still not easy and I most likely won't get top 4 with her even if I play it well.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Yeah, she is definitely mid or low mid tier but that’s not a bad thing IMO.
Also most Kitana players dropper her because they didn’t like her playstyle change, notice how most went to zoning characters like Skarlet, Jade or Cetrion ;)

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Yeah, she is definitely mid or low mid tier but that’s not a bad thing IMO.
Also most Kitana players dropper her because they didn’t like her playstyle change, notice how most went to zoning characters like Skarlet, Jade or Cetrion ;)
No. They dropped her because she lacks the tools necessary to compete consistently at the highest level.

Why use Kitana when you can zone better AND have better whiff punishing tools with other characters? Loyalty. That’s about it.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
The only buff I want is AMP fan to be high mid.

If not that, let us be able to delay the 2nd fan because having those instances where they jump the 2nd fan misses them makes me sad ;-;

Everything else I just want hitbox fixes to. Her B231343 randomly whiffs on the last hit and gets you punished smh.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
The only buff I want is AMP fan to be high mid.

If not that, let us be able to delay the 2nd fan because having those instances where they jump the 2nd fan misses them makes me sad ;-;

Everything else I just want hitbox fixes to. Her B231343 randomly whiffs on the last hit and gets you punished smh.
I agree, I used to think it was whatever but it honestly sucks having someone in their 2% and not being able to use all your bars to chip them out like everyone else (at least most characters can) especially when we have free round moves all over the place.

And the whiffing issues is definitely something I hope they fix for everyone

Vastly

Noob
Yeah I want her Amplified second fan to be a mid and the only other change I request is making her b2, 3, 1 combo staggerable so you aren't forced to have to finish the combo for it to come out it will be great if I could just do a b3, 2 and then stop there and use it as a Stager it would also prevent the combo from whiffing when someone jumps slightly and the first hit catches them and then you finish the combo and get punished. I also wish that her x-ray didn't scale so badly at the end of a combo.

Last edited:

Vastly

Noob
I... REALLY hate the Erron Black MU.
100% 3-7 AND IT HURTS MY SOUL.

I just had a match where my d4 actually passed through Erron's F4.

WHY!?
I've noticed her Jumping 2 also whiffs a lot too, the hitbox needs to be fixed. Also against Erron Black I have better luck with Highborn variation.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I've noticed her Jumping 2 also whiffs a lot too, the hitbox needs to be fixed. Also against Erron Black I have better luck with Highborn variation.
Highborne is great until the Erron Black player remembers they have slide. Or.. a gun

Vastly

Noob
Highborne is great until the Erron Black player remembers they have slide. Or.. a gun
Yea it's important to throw him or get him off his feet and use it as a frame trap as he is getting up so you can move in on him. I didn't mean use it to zone, I just meant use it as pressure to move in on him more often.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Here's a little mini set I ran against a Jade player.

"You better watch ur DMs" LOL this announcer has a great sense of humor. Really good use of royal protection near the end. I started using that on Noob Saibots zoning because he has no amp options. I was suprised it worked on his shadow clone projectile, and since db4 has a bad rep ppl don't expect you to use it. The way you fb'd after blocking glaive was such a smart move O: Jade vs Kitana match ups are always super fun to both play & watch.

Kano and Raiden seem to always bend me over and make me take it. Any suggestion for countering these two? I understand Kitana has issues but I feel like I'm either too slow on punishing or I'm always out of range, especially against Raiden. And I have no idea how to get around that move that puts electricity around Raiden. And of course, I'm seeing these two non-stop in KL.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Kano and Raiden seem to always bend me over and make me take it. Any suggestion for countering these two? I understand Kitana has issues but I feel like I'm either too slow on punishing or I'm always out of range, especially against Raiden. And I have no idea how to get around that move that puts electricity around Raiden. And of course, I'm seeing these two non-stop in KL.
Kano is a joke lol. He literally kills himself. He’s that type of character to “just do it” and if you’re the type of player who can’t deal with that type of play style, he’s gonna run you over. Just play safe and let him do the work for you lol. He’s gonna do something and you’ll punish him for it.
We also outfootsie him so space out his low roll/ OH kick and punish. He’s very unga bunga man lol.

Raiden I have no idea. I’ve only fought a few.

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
If you’re talking about the move where raiden spins his staff around(storm cell if I remember right) you can duck the last Hit for a d2 kb or a 12 combo punish.

VELL1

Noob
It's the same reason Kitana Prime dropped her for jade. Also Semiij is one of the top 6 players in the game IMO and he didn't even make top 8 cause he's using Kitana. She is a solid character but she has drawbacks when facing top tier characters controlled by top tier players. He lost to burrito Vorhees Geras. I'm not saying it makes the character bad she just has a few limitations that make it more difficult for her to win a tournament. I still play her knowing that I just expect it to be an uphill battle. Not as bad as it is for Johnny but it's still not easy and I most likely won't get top 4 with her even if I play it well.
Geras is a tough match up for Kitana though. Every character has one, it's just happens to be that Geras is pretty popular. I personally learned Jaquie for those battles.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
Okay so I was running some sets vs a great Jade yesterday and I felt like the matchup drastically shifts when you get in on her, especially considering that D3 low profiles Jade’s wakeup options. Also, I started to yolo ass when she jumped (fearing her air EX glaive) and she whiffed them lol, though I gotta work on the timing to punish her when she whiffs ex air glaive.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I can’t believe more people aren’t talking about Sonya. She’s literally just a better Kitana from every point on screen. She’s got better, safer, mid-hitting zoning with 2 KBs (2nd hit and 5-hit kombo). She’s got better damage, staggers, hit-confirms, mixups...just literally does every fucking thing you can do better than Kitana. Right now, Kitana is an utterly redundant character that will only be played by masochistic loyalists.

Oh, and unlike Kitana, Sonya can actually make excellent use of her zoning in her kombos and strings thanks to the +12 restand and 2nd-hit cancel that you can’t contest without fear of eating a 24% KB.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I can’t believe more people aren’t talking about Sonya. She’s literally just a better Kitana from every point on screen. She’s got better, safer, mid-hitting zoning with 2 KBs (2nd hit and 5-hit kombo). She’s got better damage, staggers, hit-confirms, mixups...just literally does every fucking thing you can do better than Kitana. Right now, Kitana is an utterly redundant character that will only be played by masochistic loyalists.

Oh, and unlike Kitana, Sonya can actually make excellent use of her zoning in her kombos and strings thanks to the +12 restand and 2nd-hit cancel that you can’t contest without fear of eating a 24% KB.
Sonya’s restand is +12?!